"Hard error"? + unable to access F-fox...

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mornin', Folks...
How weird. Last night I got an error window from my computer (not from a website/pop-up) saying "Hard error". I think it might've even said "Network Hard Error". I'd close it out and it kept popping back up. I ended up shutting down.

This morning it was still there when I tried to get on line. It took several reboots, allowing the PC to clean up files, etc. Unfortunately when I try to open FireFox I get a message "firefox is already running. You need to close out firefox to open another window." But, there is no FF running that I can see. I've restarted several time. Finally got online thru IE and that, too, took two tries, still getting the Hard Error message and a freeze up one time.

I have a DSL modem (semi-highspeed). I have no idea what the hard error could refer to. Any idea? And why would I get a message FF is running when I have no windows open in it? I've opened Task Manager and there was nothing listed there. Now that I'm online via IE I checked Task Manager again and it shows the 3 windows I have open in IE but nothing shows in FF.

I reset the computer twice; one time it completely froze so I turned it off from the on/off button, couldn't go thru Start/shutdown series.

I can access my Gmail account thru IE but for some reason can't open my Hotmail account, probably due to running IE6 and not a newer version. Unfortunately Win2k won't support the newer versions. Bad news, eh?

Any idea what could cause this inability to open FF? What is Hard error?
Thanks
Shoe

This thread has 58 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!