Aloha

(Zone 4b)

Just planning for next spring. Have any of you had any experience with "Aloha"?

Lake Stevens, WA

My linner croaked. The yellow cones have not gotten very good PR.

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

Aloha was beautiful in my garden, sturdy and filled in nicely. it's more of a melon yellow that a yellow yellow.
the picture is of aloha in quart pots in late june 2011.

Thumbnail by GreenThumbsTN
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Looks like another Terra Nova dud to me. The plants are blooming when they are that tiny. I bet many people will report on them dying.

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

hunted around my hard drive and here's a row of aloha growing with some red hot poker in my friends garden.

Thumbnail by GreenThumbsTN
Lake Stevens, WA

Just gorgeous!!! I might try that again. This time i'm looking for a gallon size plant with growth at the bottom. The plants that are small and have one bloom stock on a small plant just don't fair well here. I did cut the bloom stem off on some but they croaked anyway. This will be my thrid year for some of my hybrids. This is the year they leap right!!

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i think it's more about giving them lots of sun and barely enough water with a nice thick layer of mulch around the crown. did you see the southern belle pictures? it was a rooted in 4-inch plant in middle of july when i planted it and it's still blooming in the garden. today!
they do not take well to being grown in pots unless you can control the light they get.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from echinaceamaniac :
Looks like another Terra Nova dud to me.

Hopefully this won't be the case. I think "Aloha" has only been available for a summer or two?

I am always on the lookout for 'yellowish' coneflowers that are vigorous. This past summer I had 'Now Cheesier" and it did okay but we shall see if it comes back next spring.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I will wait about buying any yellow Echinaceas. I have seen too many of them that failed to grow in most gardens. Did anyone get "Now Cheesier," "Maui Sunshine" or "Mac n Cheese" to survive? They won't grow here. Most nurseries around here aren't carrying any of the new Echinaceas because too many of the Terra Nova plants won't grow.

Lake Stevens, WA

They all croaked for me! I still have 'harvest moon' only yellow that is still alive for me.

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i have 'Summer Breeze' and 'Cleopatra' trialing here. both of these yellow varieties are dormant (i hope) right now. Both are more of a clear yellow than Aloha.

Lake Stevens, WA

Do you have any pictures?

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

they haven't bloomed yet. cleopatra looks good and sturdy so far, i have them in 4-inch pots, in the cold house. summer breeze is in the ground and dormant (dead looking stuff sticking up).

Lake Stevens, WA

Darn, love pictures. Keep us posted. Hows the knee?

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

going to the y for swimming and exercise. worried it will never be 'right' again. it has to improve a bit more as I want to walk part of the camino de santiago this summer.

Lake Stevens, WA

Swimming is good. Takes all the weight of the joint. Sounds like you are doing all you can. What is the Camino de santiago?

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James

it's an ancient pilgrimage route. there's a movie out about it recently with martin sheen. 'The Way'

Lake Stevens, WA

Interesting! Good luck with the rehab and hope you can do the journey.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from echinaceamaniac :
Most nurseries around here aren't carrying any of the new Echinaceas because too many of the Terra Nova plants won't grow.

Same for 'Leilani'? http://www.terranovanurseries.com/gardeners/echinacealeilani-p-541.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.