new compact Hydrangea for 2012 "BOBO"

(Zone 4b)

I just received an electronic copy of my mail order nursery offering for this spring. They list the paniculata "Bobo" for spring 2012. Doing a google search I see it on the "Proven Winners" site i.e.

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/hydrangea/bobo-hardy-hydrangea-hydrangea-paniculata

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 4:17 AM

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Little Lime started the list of recent compact paniculatas last year and this european shrub lengthens the list. It is advertised even "more" dwarf than Little Lime. As with other paniculatas, it too is hardy to Zone 3. Turns light pink later on. Many people have strong opinions about pinks so, make sure you like the shade of pink. I would have chosen another name though...

This message was edited Dec 24, 2011 8:27 AM

(Zone 4b)

Interesting you comment about the 'light pink' Luis as there is no mention of any colour other than white on the PW website.

EDIT: You are right Luis i.e. I see another on-line reference indicating a change to pink in the fall

This message was edited Dec 26, 2011 5:12 PM

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

No problem! And Happy New Year!

(Zone 4b)

Luis, when I first got 'into' gardening about 4 years ago Hydrangeas were the spectacular flower for shady locations but is it my imagination in that *now* most descriptions of (newer?) hydrangea cultivars list SUN or PSUN for the aspect. Has it always been that way?

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 12:28 PM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

There are different types of hydrangeas. The ones that can take a lot of sun are paniculata. Paniculata and oakleaf hydrangeas flower better with more sun and often languish in too much shade.

My old hydrangea P.G. put on a show for years (at our old place) but then died after I planted a couple of ornamental cherry trees near it. The trees took over the canopy in just a few years (3 to 4?) and the P.G. just gave it up. Luckily I took a few cuttings before it kicked the bucket and those cuttings are now a 7 foot high - 8 foot across shrub growing in full sun at our new place. Handles drought fairly well too.

Here are some of the newer hybrid panciulatas growing in full sun (Chattanooga, TN)

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
(Zone 4b)

Outstanding picture hcmcdole!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

"Has it always been that way?" Well, I would say yes and no. I live in the southern states and over here, the leaves in direct contact with the sun get scorched during the summer months if the hydrangea is planted in full sun. But as we get closer to the northern states close to Canada, the summer sun is not as strong as in Texas so hydrangeas can also grow in either part shade or full sun. As a matter of fact, I remember driving through New Hampshire and Massachusetts while visiting my MIL Macrophyllas grew in part shade or full sun. And many paniculatas grew as stand alone trees in full sun.

I think that the introduction of reblooming macrophyllas probably helped the change. As the nurseries realized that a lot of people in the north were going to plant these macrophyllas there, they changed the plant labels to include some notation about "part shade or full sun". Personally, I believe they should clarify that further. Meaning say something like "FS in the northern states only" and "PS in the South".

hcmcdole, that is a nice picture. Do you know what is the shrubbery in front of the paniculatas? It is a good way to cover the legginess that some paniculatas have!

Luis

I actually had the opposite problem. I tried planting lilacs here in Texas and lost my first two because I placed them in FS, the location given in just about every place that sells lilacs. But here in Texas, that does not work. They require some protection from the afternoon summer sun and they all got scorched by early June. I finally planted one in a shadier spot and had success. I should note that over here, we also need to plant "warm" lilacs or Descanso-hybrids that do not require much winter chill.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Just my guess that the plants hiding the legs of the paniculatas are coleus.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Agree with Pirl

Wise man! (hee hee)

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Probably doesn't happen too often does it Pirl?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, those were coleus in front of those hydrangeas.

I gave up on lilacs here in the south - too hot, too humid - causes a lot of mildew. When I visited my sister when she lived in Bismarck, ND I saw 20 to 25 foot trees lining their back yard - to my amazement they were lilacs! We just have to be content with crepe myrtles.

Here are some different hydrangeas at the same nursery in Chattanooga.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Sort of like blue moons, postman.

We're in between the north and south and can grow lilacs, hydrangeas as well as Crape Myrtles. They each have their own beauty.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Quote from pirl :
Sort of like blue moons, postman.

We're in between the north and south and can grow lilacs, hydrangeas as well as Crape Myrtles. They each have their own beauty.

Didn't know NY was between the North and South!!!!! You're on LI right?

Doug

Well...we're not as far north as rouge in Canada but we are in zone 7 without the heat of zone 7 in the south. Does that make it any less confusing?

We're 14 miles from the northeastern tip of the island, which is Orient Point. Not exactly the end of the world but you can see if from here.

Thumbnail by pirl
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I've been out there. Did the winery thing a few years ago. Oldest stepson lived in Garden City for a while.

(Zone 4b)

UPDATE:

I am planning on picking up a couple of BOBOs today or tomorrow to plant this weekend.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Had to laugh at that statement. Think I'll go pick up a couple BIMBOS this weekend. My sweet wife probably wouldn't like it too much though!!

Doug

(Zone 4b)

Quote from postmandug :
Think I'll go pick up a couple BIMBOS this weekend.

Hey Doug dont call my BOBOs BIMBOS :)!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Doug: If it's BIMBO's you're after, come to Calif. We have a plethora of them here...all within arms reach.

If my husband brought home some bimbos I'd hope they like gardening, cooking and cleaning.

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Hi pirle.Glad to see you are still up and at it! All is well here...just getting too many years under my belt. My Gchildren are doing me up proud Danielle is off to Bhutan next week.Kevin arrives home from Indonesia on Tuesday.Jared Graduates from UNB on the Dean's list for all 4 years.Amanda has become a very poised ,competent and beautiful young lady .How lucky can I get?
Hope you and Jack are in good health.I''d love to hear from you.

I just sent you a Dmail, Joy.

(Zone 4b)

2 Bobo's in the ground as of today. Both are very small with only one stem about 12" tall.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday top the new kids on the block. Post pictures when you can, even if it is next year.

(Zone 4b)

Thanks luis. I am betting that good pictures of these now teeny plants wont be available till next year.

(Zone 4b)

UPDATE:

Well I see that I will have some flowers on this still small BoBo (this about 7 weeks after it went into the ground).

This message was edited Jul 16, 2012 1:22 PM

Thumbnail by rouge21

Terrific! Congratulations on your success.

(Zone 4b)

Thanks pirl but right now it is just a 'broccoli' flower.

Patience, patience. Shouldn't be too long before it is a real blossom.

(Zone 4b)

For sure i.e. I will be patient. A couple of flowers and surviving the coming winter is all that I am asking for right now.

(Zone 4b)

UPDATE:

Here is one of these same "BOBOs" as of October 8.

(It is a 3 'brancher'; the other one has just two)

Thumbnail by rouge21

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.