Empress candle plant

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Does anyone in Zone 7, or lower, have any experience with this one?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/371/

I don't need anything that could become invasive since I've done my battles with Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

mine all died in the frost but since it is first yr i planted dont know if they will come back in spring or how much they self seeded. i do know it is really pretty and the bees and hummers loved it. not much help sorry

Thanks for your comments. I loved the look of the plants that I just spotted on a thread here on DG but figured this time I'd ask first before it turns into another monstrous problem for me like the Houttuynia did.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i think it is beautiful and if you cut off the flowers b4 they turn 2 seed shouldnt be much of a problem with reseeding

I'm not really good about removing seed heads before the seeds fall. Thanks for the help!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

According to the USDA it grows as an introduced species in Oklahoma and the Gulf Coast states, suggesting that it is not especially suited to your New York climate, so it is probably not an invasive threat for you. I could be wrong though.

I appreciate your help. Maybe I'll buy it if I find it locally.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I live in zone 8b and my 3-gallon plant, which I planted in the ground, died in the first hard frost - I don't think they are as hardy as sellers claim. I would love to have another, if anyone has one to trade - will put the next one in the greenhouse!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.