Sweet Gum question

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi

I picked up 2 sweet gum balls off the ground this fall while in the Smokies. I let them open up on their own and drop the seeds out. I have now a bunch of very small brown things that I don't know what they are....and there are black items that DO appear to be seeds. What's that small brown stuff? I assume the black ones that look like seeds are indeed the seeds. I want to plant some next spring. When I saw all those little brown things, I wasn't sure what they were. Just something to toss out? The black items that look like seeds to me are fairly flat.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Maybe chaff (undeveloped seeds)?

Resin

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Not sure. I'll post a picture in a little bit.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's the photo. I think the larger dark items are pretty obviously seeds...but not sure what the smaller stuff is.

Thumbnail by hczone6

Yep, looks like undeveloped seeds, ones which didn't get pollinated successfully. They can be discarded, just sow the large dark ones.

Resin

McMinnville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, the larger dark ones are the seeds. If you plan to sow them, they need to go through a cold, moist stratification for 15 days to 3 months to improve germination. Or,
just sow outside and nature will take care of them for you. Be sure to protect them from the birds (especially wrens). They love Sweet Gum seeds.
Good Luck.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I've been keeping them in the fridge for now...will that be enough, or should i put them in a paper bag on my porch when there's still some really cold weather left before spring?

Fridge will be fine, as long as it is properly cold. The ideal temperature is +1° or +2° (which is also the ideal for food as well, though a lot of people allow their fridge to be a bit too warm, 4° or 5°).

Resin

McMinnville, TN(Zone 6b)

You need to take them out of fridge about 30 days before sowing and soak them in water for about 12 hours and then drain and put back in fridge. This will properly stratify them. They need to be moist for about 30 days in the fridge before sowing.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the tips. I have quite a few seeds so hopefully I'll get enough that come up. I want to plant these around our field and so on. I don't have any of these around here and I love them. I don't want to put any near the house though because of the balls that drop and the tree gets pretty tall too. I love their fall color.

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

Dear hczone6,

Born & raised in the DC area, we had sweetgums there too. However now that I live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, the darn things are like weeds. It is only slightly warmer here zone 7A but boy oh boy do we have sweetgums galore. Maybe I should pick you some seedlings, they are everywhere, and ship them to you. I can't get rid of them fast enough!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL....I'll just try the seeds I have from the Smokies. If I get some to grow, they won't be near my house. I'll put them further away so the balls don't matter to me in fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.