Can't wait for spring...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, I know it's only December, but I'm very much looking forward to spring and the return of my lupines!...among other things.

This is from early May, 2009. I'm finding that my lupines don't always stay the same color. Only a few look close to the same as when I planted them. I guess the various plants are cross-pollinating or something.

(yes, that's my watermark / photo site shown on the bottom left of the photo - I decided my watermark looks a little better than the default one here on DG :-)

Thumbnail by hczone6
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I'd just like to see my Lupines bloom! That and other perennials seeded this past spring.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, so they're still young?...yours. Will they bloom as well in the warmer climate where you are? Hope so.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Add me to the lupine lover list. They are so stunning in groups such as yours.

kd - as long as they had leaves and showed growth in 2011 you should have blooms in 2012.

Our groups remain the same color and don't change at all but seeds from them can be any color.

Thumbnail by pirl

kd - allow the seeds to turn black and when the pod splits you can just drop them on scratched soil. They will grow and bloom for you.

Thumbnail by pirl
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Maybe it's the ones that came from seed that I'm seeing the different colors on. I haven't actually bought a lupine in plant for in years since they spread by seed pretty easily.

They do! In the back "work area" (shed/chipper/6 compost bins) when my husband uses the chipper many seeds just fall to the earth and grow over winter. This photo was taken 4/28/06 and shows how the seeds have grown with no care at all. In 2011 I had 159 to transplant.

Thumbnail by pirl
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I put lupine and columbine in the same category as far as self-seeding goes. Two plants that are really pretty and really hard to mess up when planting (the seeds). :-)

I totally agree. We have chipped wood paths in one garden and last Wednesday I moved 16 columbine babies to gardens. They do self-seed so freely.

Do lupines like a higher pH? That's always been my impression. I've always wanted to grow some (DH remembers Monty Python reference) but thought my soil might be too acidic plus the lack of full sun and good drainage might not provide the right growing conditions.

I'm not sure about the pH issue since I have them in so many gardens. They need the very best drainage or they'll die out fast. I found out the hard way.

My sunniest spot gets supplemental water for other plants so it might not be suited for lupines. Sigh...

While it does love the sunshine I do have some in mostly shade except for the late sun of the day. You could try mixing in a lot of gravel for their planting spot if you try them again. When I reviewed all my lupine photos I did notice that I have many more in acidic soils than sweet soils.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Yup they had leaves. I'm beginning to wonder about some perennials I started from seed not only this past spring but the year before. Columbine for instance. They just flop all around and do nothing.

Thumbnail by kdfisher

You might want to clear a spot elsewhere in the garden and put seeds there. It just may be the soil in that area.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pirl. now I know why mine do so so. too much water in the rainy season. Will move this spring.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Actually I have the Columbine in four different spots. All have slightly different variations of soil and shade. Maybe just slow to get going where I am.

Marie - the tap root may make moving difficult but give it a try.

kd - guess you solved your own problem - the issue of "slow to get going". If you have any wood chips you can try spreading some seeds on them. The rain will wash them into place. I have no idea why they are so eager to grow in chips but they are.

Some of my sturdiest columbine are growing in gravel (unintentionally). They like good drainage, especially in the winter, and can't be planted too deep. Usually the self-sown ones grow at just the right planting depth.
Thanks, pirl, for the suggestion on the lupines siting. I am sooo tempted now.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Wood chips, gravel. Can't be further apart eh? When you mention the gravel thing, I have some Petunias that love my gravel driveway more than any other spot.

While I was out cleaning up today (57 degrees and sunshine for the first day of winter!) I took a photo of one of the many columbine growing in chips.

Malva 'Zebrina', larkspur and a host of others plant themselves in the cracks in the cement walk and at the top of the driveway where it meets the garage apron.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

any photos of your larkspurs? Pirl

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Larkspur?....are you referring to delphinium? I've tried delphinium several times with no luck :-( I love it and want to grow it but I can't get it to do anything for me. It dies in about a year or less. Maybe I should try again.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Delphinum ( larkspur ) consolida ambigua not Pacific Giant.
Actually I have trouble growing both. The giants are too tall for our windy hill and clay soil.
The ambigua Gallilee Blue I owed 3 years ago just havnt taken off.

Athens, PA

JoAnn

I have problems growing both Delphinum ( larkspur ) consolida ambigua and Pacific Giants as well. Delphs like the PG just get so beaten to death with the high winds and hard driving rains.

Larkspur, this is the last year for them - I have tried seeds and plants- If this doesn't work - I totally give up on them.

Generally I will try a plant 3 times before I give up on it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I get a few reseeds near other perennials but no big patches so if this year doesnt produce anything I am done.
I will try another tall columnuous plant.Foxgloves dont grow here either nor Lupines, but I havnt tried them in the place where I have tried larkspurs so I'll give them a try.
YUP 3 years and theyre out.

Larkspur are annuals where delphiniums are perennials.

Larkspur grows too well for me. This rose garden (where the roses die and the deer roam) is home to larkspur and yarrow along with a few remaining live roses. The larkspur also prefer dry soil over wet, here at least.

Thumbnail by pirl
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll have to try the annuals

This larkspur decided the middle of the path was the ideal place to grow. I did allow it to grow but it was very annoying so I moved a seeling this fall. No more middle of the path plants of any kind will be allowed to grow.

Trying a plant three times is fair to the gardener and the plant.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My soil must just be too damp,clay isnt the best drained soil.

The perennials are so gorgeous. They manage to live for two years, with some giving me three years but not many. For the price of $2.50 each (full tray, your choice of plants, at Graceful Gardens) they are regal additions to the garden. This one, Royal Aspiration, lasted three years - far cheaper than an annual and really does make a focal point in the garden.

http://www.gracefulgardens.com/delphiniums
I can't praise the company or the plants enough. They never disappoint. Remember that the delphiniums want very rich soil, lots of compost and manure and they want moderate moisture - not dry and not wet. Keeping the soil wet is sure to kill them. They also need staking and tying to the stakes, which I often delay/forget and then a wind storm can be fatal. The trellis I used looked fine and made it easy to tie the delph's to keep them erect.

Chenille ties in green make it easy to tie them (frequently as they grow) to the stakes.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge - just do as we both do with lilies and make one wide hole. For the delph's you can add gravel to aid the drainage and then you should have better luck.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good tip

Has anyone tried Delphinium tricorne? I bought a plant from a TN native nursery several years ago and surprisingly that plant is still with me. It's shorter and is a reliable early bloomer. Heck - it even puts up with my crummy soil. My site is exposed to too much wind so the tall varieties won't show well. I do start annuals every year and they do make it out into the garden but they seem rather fragile.

Haven't tried, or ever seen, the one you mentioned, Cindy. Sounds very interesting.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Arlene and everyone. Your topic has me stirred, so I thought I stopped by.... and I found myself at the right place where discussion of all my most cherished flowers but have had problem growing them. Such as Del. Lark, and Lupines. Can I sow Lupines seeds now in the South?
Kim

Yes, you can, Kim. Seeds just dropped on the ground (nature's way) grow for me. I've never even scratched the soil to get them going but you can try it any way you want. Hope you have success. You might want to mark the area with a few coffee stirrers to remind you that seeds are there.

This is what the babies look like:

Thumbnail by pirl

Coffee stirrers come in handy to remind us it is not a vacant area.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene for the tips. How neat and easy to achieve. The seedlings, are you transplanting them at this time? Will the snow cover insulate them tender plants until it melt in the spring? I meant the snow melting, and not the plants, that's. lol

The photo was taken 4/25/2011 and I did transplant them back then. They wouldn't be germinating now so I guess they need the cold treatment (stratification) over winter to break the hard outer shell and allow the inner lupine seeds to germinate in April in this area. Might be earlier for you, Kim.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.