crazy weather

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

We've had peculiar weather - generally warmer than usual, though some nights in the teens, which is more where it's supposed to be. I noticed my winter blooming jasmine (jasminum nudiflorum) in full throttle bloom. It doesn't usually bloom 'til end of Feb/early Mar. Sort of brightens up the winter doldrums.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

One of my quinces also thinks it's time to bloom.
I presume he'll come to his senses soon enough.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Hopkinton, MA(Zone 5b)

Weerobin, what a lovely jasmine! I had never heard of it. I'd like to have one for our garden. We're in zone 6a also and I hope I can grow a winter blooming jasmine as perfect as the one in your photo.

DoGooder

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Our warm weather continues.
One of my japanese apricots (prunus mume) is starting to bloom.
Unfortunately, reality will close in tomorrow, as a cold front returns us to normal.
I fear for the many nearly-opened buds which will probably be lost.
Oh, well, it's nice for today!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Jasmine still going strong.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Daphne odora buds getting ready. It should be OK, since they haven't opened yet.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Unusually warm here too.
Noticed buds on a lilac

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

10° here the last couple of days, Winter Aconites in flower. Set to turn colder later in the week though, with night frost.

Resin

Edit: up to 11.5° this evening!

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012 10:26 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

After a few weeks of up and down temps, my prunus mume continues to bloom.
Here is p. mume Peggy Clarke (same as above).
Some of the buds are frost-bitten, but overall effect is still remarkable for the dead of winter!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is a white prunus mume (Fragrant Snow) which is also in pretty-near full bloom.
I've got a couple others which have some sputtering blooms, but not much yet.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The weather has been really unusually warm! Weerobin, love your spring blooms. Here is one of the early bloomers down South. Our Forsythias and Quinces are blooming too. But the one that caught my attention was this; Saucer Magnolia;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow. That sort of gets you in the mood!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Let's go gardening! :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My witch hazel is in full swing. Earlier than usual, of course.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And of course everything overwintering in the garage is clamoring to get out of there.
Here's a very pretty quince which surprised me in the garage this morning as I was heading off to work!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wooohooo, a bonsai-in training. That's going to be quite stunning Robin.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Lousy rainy weather here, but I drove past a 500 foot long hedge of Lonicera fragrantissima in full bloom.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm wondering if those of us in NW Ohio (formerly in Zone 5, but now in zone 6) will have had sufficient chilling hours to completely break dormancy for the apple crop. Nothing's blooming, or even showing signs of bud swell, but we just haven't had any cold for any duration. Much of the time we've been at 45 or above. Too warm. Lots of apple orchards around here.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Camelias are blooming here as well. However, my witchhazel hasn't yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Lily, how strange that my with hazel is in full bloom and yours hasn't bloomed yet!
Yet your magnolias are in full flower? Very strange...
I have camellias blooming also, but only in the garage!
But my trick is to take them out of the garage in full flower and put them on my front porch.
Then all our visitors for our annual super bowl party are wowed! Works every year!

Edited to add: What a beautiful idyllic setting you have!!

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 7:05 AM

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Robin, we may just have different type of witch hazels? Mine is "Arnold Dwarf" or something, I need to look back into the record and see if my memory serves me correctly. Other factors that may influent its timing is the microclimates. Mine is in the front yard which is largely sheltered from evening sun. Our Saucer mag. hasn't fully bloomed out. But those that in our neighboring area are. Then again it's dependent on the micro climate-- I do believe. Your idea to "force" the camellias blooms for annual super bowl party is fantastic. Superb idea!

Thank you for your compliment. It's work in progress, you know how it's. One's garden- work is never done. Love that white Camellia bloom!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Arnold Promise, I presume. A very beautiful yellow.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's it! Thank Robin. Arnold Promise it's!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My peach blossoms, or what's left of a beautiful tree. Beaver took the tree down a year before last. I'll need to replace the tree asap. Otherwise there will be a 7-8' tree with full of these lovely blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My prunus mume just keeps blooming. My first post on this thread was Dec 31. It's still blooming like crazy 2 months later!

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful Robin! I lost a Yoshino cherry due flood. Otherwise it'd be beautiful this time of year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.