Orchid ID?

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I know this is an Oncidium alliance, but that's about it. I think I got it at Lowe's off their 75% discount rack two or three years ago. It finally bloomed again this year.

I think the mix is probably not the right one, but it seemed happy in there so I didn't disturb it. Once it finishes blooming I'm going to repot, should I use coarse bark?

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

picture of the pseudobulbs

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention is that the blooms are about 3/4" across.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

GEG, Laurel (MaypopLaurel) posted this one that looks similar a few days ago. She calls it a Tolumnia

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8929595

Jim (hawkarica) also had one like that a while back that he referred to as 'Dancing Ladies" for obvious reasons.This one looks just like yours, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8912638

Both are on the "Our December Holiday Blooms" thread. Have a look.

Elaine

This message was edited Dec 16, 2011 12:49 PM

This message was edited Dec 16, 2011 12:57 PM

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks like the dancing ladies, O. varicosum are the right one. Thanks! :)

This message was edited Dec 16, 2011 10:55 AM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Actually it is an Oncidium and the flowers are commonly referred to as a "Dancing Ladies". See how they look like they have big "skirts"? There are many hybrids that look like yours. Oncidium Gower Ramsey is a popular one and is mass produced. I have a species version called Oncidium sphacelatum. It blooms later in the season.

Tolumnias are closely related to Oncidiums and used to be called mini Oncidiums until they were recognized as a separate species. Tolumnias are great for small spaces and bright light. "Tis the Oncidium season.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I have one that is similar also...Oncidium William Thurston very free flowering and super easy care. Does awesome under lights in winter, and then goes on the front porch in spring/summer/fall and blooms throughout the year.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mjsponies, that's a great flower and I love Willam Thurston. However, this is an example of the label confusion that continues. What you have is a Tolumnia which was first called a mini Oncidium and then called an equitant Oncidium. The correct label is still William Thurston but it should read Tolumnia William Thurstan. How great that it blooms so often.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2011 5:51 PM

Laurel,
Thanks !! I'll change it then. I've had it for several years now, it was sooooo tiny when I got it but I finally had to move it up to a " 3 " in pot this year....LOL

Here's another...Not sure which one it is a Barkeria either whartonianum or spectabalis ? ...actually it's not quite open yet
I'm a sucker for the little guys...

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, Mj I love that little guy! "Free flowering" and "Easy care" are the watch words for my little orchid collection. I just added a Tolumnia to my 'wish list'. Is your front porch all shaded or does your Tolumnia get a little sun when it's there?

Kids are getting me a couple of new orchids for Christmas so I will wait impatiently until I see which ones before I go shopping again.

Elaine,
The front porch faces "sorta" south east. We've got a 20% sunblock screen on it, and those bamboo hanging shades. We keep those up during the morning, but in late afternoon I drop them down to block the stronger/hotter sun if needed, which I do for the orchids. "William" likes pretty bright light tho...when he grows inside, he's right up there under the grow lights...new spikes growing now too, which I'm relieved after repotting. Next time he's due I'll get you a little division out.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

When went on our cruise this past September, each table in the dining room had a Phal spike on it. This is just an example of the huge flower market out there and the reason why Phals, Dendrobiums and Oncidiums are mass produced without regard to name. Big box stores also have many of these orchids with no names. That is why it is almost impossible to ID them. Just be happy with a dancing lady type Oncidium label and we will know what you mean.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Phals make great cut flowers, I found out the hard way. When my second bargain one from IKEA started wilting and shriveling, I cut the flower spike off in an effort to rehab the plant.(amazingly it did survive!) The flowers lasted a month on the counter in a vase! Who can blame the growers for mass producing and taking profits where they can? From the point of view of a neophyte orchid hobbyist, it's good for me to have bargain plants available to practice and learn with.

Mj, thanks for the offer but please do not divide your little Tol on my account! Sounds like you've nurtured that little guy to maturity and you need to enjoy it's bounty for a year or two. I have my daughter keeping an orchid 'wish list' for me and what I don't get for Xmas will likely appear for my b'day in March, or Mother's day. The kids are very happy to have an endless source of reasonable gifts they can send me and I get lovely surprises.

Sounds like my pool cage area might work well for them, too. It gets good glimpses of sun in the morning through the big oak and is shaded with good light all afternoon. It's also right outside the door that I use all day long to get to the back yard so I see (and mist) the 'chids often and they're easy to cover at night if it gets cold.

dyzzy, ?Well ok . but you have been so kind to m with plant offerings, I am more than happy to reciprocate. So in the future if you would like a divison just hollar. !!!

north coast nsw, Australia

GEG i'd take that Oncidium out of the dirt and repot it in a bark mix asap or it'll rot.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

yeah I'm planning to do that, it's not really dirt it's just one of the finer mixes rather than a coarse mix. It's been in there for almost 2 years now so it's due for a repotting anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.