Iris "bed" design and Labeling

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

: I really enjoy your pictures of plantings. It's nice to get an idea of how others mix colors and their design and layout. I am planting and acre and 1/2 in iris and daylilies primarily. The first acre has about 300 different iris (named) but they have only been est. for 1-3 years and haven't had time to amass any. On the other half acre, which is wooded partially, I am trying to establish color plantings. Designs seen here really help. So please people, post your pictures of Iris plantings showing bed design!
I also need help with marking my plants. I have used blind slats with brother tapes which work well but now my land looks like a pet cemetery! Have any of you found a way around this whereby you can easily identify your plants with a less noticeable intrusion? bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think your planting is gorgeous, and I'm sure you need no advice. Wow, an acre and a 1/2 in iris and daylilies will be something to see. Be sure to post pictures!

I use the EON markers in dark green labeled with the Brothers P touch. If you push them down to the ground, they hardly show. We just had a co-op for them with Mamajack on Cubits and they went for 17.50 for 50 with free shipping. I hope someone will do a co-op with them here, they last really nice for me.

Here's a pic of one of my flower borders. I'm a beardless iris addict, so I don't think there are any bearded in that bed. You don't need any help, but just to give an idea of what another iris garden looks like.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

pollyk Thanks for your kind remarks and helpful hints. I contacted EON and got 200 markers for $94.00 which includes postage. No where near the deal you got but acceptable. Please let me know if you find another co-op, I would love several hundred more. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Bob, I know they've been done on here before, so maybe this spring. But I will keep my eyes open.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I'd be interested in one of those markers at the lower price. By the way what is a co-op , am fairly new to daves and not sure. Just planted about 300 iris along my main border (inside the fenced area, 4ftX150ft so far, have another 50-75ft to finish in the spring. Finished planting approx. 1500 iris this fall. Am looking forward to spring even tho many small ones won't bloom yet. I love seeing the pix also for great ideas and plant combos. Seems like only other gardeners can truely appreicate the amount of work involved in gardening and the amount of time we invest in making life more beautiful for all to enjoy, especially ourselves. lol. Love it tho, I sure do enjoy making my gardens, guess if I ever get it done I'll have to sit around in my garden, lol. Am landscaping (or should I say flower scaping) 1 acre myself. Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A co-op is a very nice feature of Daves. We haven't had many lately, but no reason we can't have one. You need to read the rules on the co-op forum, and someone needs to get it going. A co-op is just greater buying power through numbers.

You've got quite the collection of irises there, Kathy!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful companion plants for your iris orchidman. Lovely gardens

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Just a couple more pics of combos. Here's Careless Sally along with beauty bush and barberry.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Closer up of Coronation Anthem and nepeta Walkers Low.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't have many pics of my bearded, but here's one of my all time favorite bearded, Dolce, along with some spirea. Some of the smaller shrubs can make excellent companions for bearded, especially the medians, as they seem to bloom around the same time.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 10:03 AM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow Polly, such pretty pix, just love em. Thanks, I love seeing ideas that other have, its better than trying to visulizing what might be. Such a pretty pink iris too!
Gosh I sure hope I have a great collection, lol. Many were planted so late in the season, am hoping they pull thru the winter as many of the rhiz . had no roots or leaves when I got them. Fingers are crossed. Tonight they are recieving a nice blanket, 11-13" of fresh snow, 'spose to be 50 again by Christmas tho. Kathy. Pix: I believe is iris setosa, got at local botanic Garden sale in 2010.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's another grouping. Mood Glorious 1977 bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

and another. bob
Kentucky Woman

This message was edited Jan 3, 2012 3:39 PM

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

PollyK: Just got my first 200 Rose Markers from Eon, have put them in the gardens, and have ordered another 200. In the space of two weeks, the price went up 30+ dollars. At the new price, I'll find some other option. Wonderful product, however pricey/ bob

Japanese Iris pond border

This message was edited Jan 3, 2012 4:06 PM

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

For those of you that are wanting the EON markers, I am in a coop through yahoo that orders them from time to time. Here is the link if you would like to check it out.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BnPCo-opBuying/

Seems like I paid $14 for 50 markers. That would be less than $60 for $200

I don't see any listed at the moment, but have sent a post asking if they will be doing them again.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Orchid...just love the color on the Iris Mood... So pretty.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

warriorswisdomkathy: Do you think my pink should me Mood rather than Kentucky Woman? It was marked Kentucky Woman. The two were only
a year apart in introduction so it's possible. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

What ever Iris that is, it's just gorgeous!!!! The color is a beauty. Don't know the name of it , sorry. Are they fragrant?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.