New plants by cuttings?

Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

Hi all you clematis people.
Have a question. Can Clematis be started by cuttings?
Thanks,
JoAnne

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've only had luck with layering but I'm curious as to who may have tried cuttings so I'll watch with you, JoAnne.

Athens, PA

JoAnne

As far as I know, serpentine layering is the way to propagate clematis. I have not seen anything to indicate otherwise, but would love to know what experiences others have had as well.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Sure wish you get an answer to this, lol. I just ('bout a week ago), cut the tops from my clems and stuck them in a cup of water. Got my fingers crossed hoping some take. Lol. Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thanks to all of you,
I am going to try and root some the same way I do rose cuttings.I cut a piece of rose and dunk it in hormone then put a jar over the top of it. So far I have had excellent luck. I have started dahlias the same way. So I am wondering if the jar thing will work for clems.
Of course I don't have any right now but I will let you know what happens. iIt will be awhile.
Thanks for your advice....stay tuned.
JoAnne

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is an illustrated guide to rooting Clematis cuttings:

http://lodgelanenursery.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-take-clematis-cuttings.html

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Good resource. Thanks!

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I ended up rooting one accidentally. I was trying really hard to grow one from a root..bought at the W store. It got to 1" high.....2 tiny leaves. Then, some bug just ate it in two...in the middle of the night. Came out to the hothouse the next day, and found it laying on it's side.

Well...pffft. I had a jar of rooting compound, so I dipped the end in it. Stuck it back into the container...and babied it. It is 6' high now......and being wintered over inside the house under a grow light. Just lost the bottom 2 layers of leaves..the oldest ones I guess. I have been having a time with the clematis on this property.
I will be transplanting it outside this spring I think. See if it continues to grow.

On my other ones...I have 3.....I didn't prune any of them back for winter. The upper vines dried up, but I still see new green leaves peeking up from below.

I planted them all on the north face of the garage for this year. It is cooler and shadier for clematis, peony, and the lily of the valley.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 8:33 AM

Thumbnail by moxies_garden Thumbnail by moxies_garden

Good job!

That's good news. Will you have them there until they grow up or will that be their permanent spot in the garden? Are the clematises meant for shade? I have no idea how to grow them in SC but since Nelly Moser can take shade up here, I'm sure it would do fine for you in that location.

Mine are all planted under a tree, and climb that tree - they bloom, grow and do well.

I have about five under one tree, now a stump thanks to hurricane Irene. They always did well but now I'm expecting really lush vines since they have more sun. It's the "dead shade" of a building that can be a problem, not so much the shade of a tree, which does let in some sunshine.

The Jackmanii arches out over the Asiatic lilies and blooms right to the ground.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Gorgeous!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow Pirl.... Such beauties. Love seeing the pix for such great ideas. I don't know if I can wait 2 more months to do anything outside. (I have so much to do inside but my love is for the growing things outside, just can't help myself, lol.). Got 2 more inches of snow this morning on top of the 20+ inches of snow a couple days ago. Yuch, yuch, yuch!!! Guess I have to take comfort in the fact all my babies have a nice warm blanket for a few weeks.

Pirl how old are the clems in the above pix ( in other words how long til my plants looks that good?).

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I read many different ideas on where to plant clematis. One was, to plant as a mailbox planting. Now, my is in the hottest part, across the street, by the asphalt. NO shade. But, I have seen some grow in places like that. My first attempt here last year, was a dismal failure. Front yard, partial sun/shade....by the slab concrete porch. They never grew. So, I bought another plant. That was the one that got ate off at the soil line. After it regains springtime growth, I will put it with the others. It just seems like clematis is picky.

Your plantings are just so unbelievably lush! Snow is considered to be nature's blanket. Waiting to get outside is more difficult in February than January.

In those pictures the clematises (more than one Jackmanii) were about 14 years old but in full sun they'd be that full much sooner. I can't wait to see how they perform this year.

Try a very deep hole and a lot of manure, compost and bone meal mixed in the hole and be sure to plant it deeply, removing all leaves that would be below the soil line. If you have water crystals it would be good to incorporate some at the point below the rootball. Make sure you give them 3 to 4" of mulch to keep the soil cool and don't neglect the water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.