New Bees Chat - Friends old and new, come on in 12-9-2011

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is a new thread!

This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you want to add to this let us know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196031/#top

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

I must disclose that the photo is a random photo I found in my files which I saved recently from a blog somewhere - I think perhaps the university of Virginia at Richmond (and therefore perhaps in the public domain)(?)(trying to remember the url...) to remind me to find this plant! The plant is a globe thistle and apparently a butterfly magnet.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2011 12:25 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Amanda! It's a pain to try and go it on my phone and I'm not near the computer for a while today!
Is everyone ready for Christmas?? Gonna get a tree probably tomorrow.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Kelly - I have high speed internet and it was becoming troublesome for ME to load. Thanks for the encouragement as I was going to post the same request.

I put up my tabletop tree this past week for the first time in years. Our cats are maybe old enough now to know they will be beaten severely if they get into my ornaments or do-dads. Ha ha. Some of you may have seen this photo before, but he is always the primary suspect:

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lol! And a sneaky suspect at that!

You know, the thread loads fast as lightning on my iPhone but sure lags on the high speed on the computer. Phone us just a pain since Dave's is not optimized for mobile so I can't upload pics straight from my phone. I know many have requested apps but so far nada.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2011 9:32 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

If it's not Willie, above, then it could be Rita, below:

She's my free-range green iguana. Fortunately for her (and me!) I don't think she can get to the tree where it is sitting. Oh the joys of having a pet family. :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow - you mean there's NOT an APP for THAT?! ha ha ha.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow Rita is huge! I pet sat a friends iguana once and the bugger (Paco was his name) liked to try and bite me when I would feed him. Lol.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

There is NOT an app for that boo!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok last post I swear before I shut this thing down and get into the real world for a spell:

This picture was taken in 2009. She's a tad bigger now. Methinks I hear her calling for breakfast (yes I am a mean iguana mommy). Thankfully, she has never bitten us.

Gotta run - and perhaps you get back to work too! ;)

Have a great day!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Yahoo - We needed the new thread, thanks.

My Christmas Amaryllis popped a little early this year. This plant is three years old stored in our cool basement.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Has she ever hit you with that tail??? I had one and she could use it like a weapon on the dogs.
But she never bite me. I loved her.....Iguana heaven now. Waiting on the Bridge.....

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful Al!

RRM those tails are scary lol!

They can leave a welp on you like a bullwhip. Ask me how I know????☺

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha ha - yes she swings it at me, but it's always blocked by something else, so I don't get the full brunt of it. It's comical to me. :D

Like I said - we have been very lucky with Rita! She's just the right amount of crabby.

Jeremiah had the surgery and is doing better. he is still in the hospital in greenville and will be till Tuesday or wednesday. But seems to be doing much better. Thanks everyone for the prayers. Al, I love the Amaryllis. I finally got seeds for the BLUE Amaryllis that is SO RARE! I just hope I can grow it now.
Don't you guys think this kitty looks like the Grinch when he was a baby?LOL

Thumbnail by mekos

I love it and those eyes are so pretty.
So glad baby boy is better. Still prayers are being said...

Here is Kaylee's picture we had done for Christmas.

Thumbnail by mekos

another pose

Thumbnail by mekos

Here she is at K Mart looking at decorations.

Thumbnail by mekos

And enough already. Hope everyone is staying warm and having a great day! Hugs and love to all.

Thumbnail by mekos

Very nice, Jan.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

She's a Cutie, ready for Christmas I'm sure!

Al

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hey all ... Here is the link to a new swap I am hosting. (I'm having some help from some of the best hostess' in it!) It is the Sock, Sniff and Sip swap. Please check it out and share it with other threads you visit if you want to. Thanks!
Crit

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233609/

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

She's a sweet baby, Jan. Thanks for sharing. :)

Now - for me - going to get out and enjoy this almost 70 degree day and do what any gardener in their right mind would do - plant tulips!!!

Enjoy yours!

A.

LOL A. It was 64 here yesterday. I kept thinking I needed to do the same thing. I have a bunch of bulbs I need to plant or put in pots. My body just isn't cooperating, and now I have the crud! UGH!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Patti - you can plant yours in February on some 80 degree day like I did this past spring. :D

They bloomed very nicely!!!

Actually, I only have a few tulips. The rest are lilies and amarylis. I just hope the bulbs stay fresh and don't dry out. What is the best way to keep them? Right now they are in small paper sacks.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Paper sacks and cool and dry area is my guess. Jan will know:o)

Thanks!!!!!

Oooooooo-ooooooooh Jaaaa-nnnnn. ^_^

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Our tulips and asian lilies stay outside in the garden all year round Crit, but we're in a little bit cooler than you folks. They can be separated and moved in the Fall. They need a freeze-thaw period as part of their life cycle, otherwise they won't bloom in the Spring. You could take a chance and plant them outside right now before you have a hard freeze. I don't think keeping them inside will do much good, they'll be pretty much spent by Spring no matter how you store them.

Amaryllis are different and not freeze hardy at all, in fact mine are blooming inside right now. We will hold the strappy looking plant (minus flowers) until Spring, then store bulbs in a bucket of peat moss in our basement until fall to replant again.

Al

Amarilys will live in the ground through the winters here. We are suppose to have warmer temps in the next 7 days (high 50's and a 60), so maybe I can convince my body we need to go out and plant theses bulbs. ^_^ Thanks, Al.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Patt - how is your hand? I was reminded recently going thru a thread and saw your gruesome photos. :P

I did not take up my tulips over the summer - the ones I planted in February (HA!) bloomed very nicely and I left them die down where they were. I'd forgotten when during the summer I was trying to plant something else in that bed and accidentally struck up a bulb. We had hyacinths at home - not many - in our small yard. We had/have raw land in the "country" where mom planted hundreds of daffodils around the pond. I just fell in love with the colors of some pastel tulips I bought last season, and do love the sight of yellow tulips. Would love grape hyacinth, crocus always cheer me in the spring, but they are so dainty and not sure I have anyplace I would put them.

My mom and brothers always loved amaryllis and I gave them as Christmas presents for many years. Mom always planted hers out back in the yard along with her Easter lilies. I do believe they still come up and bloom, though I haven't been to the house in a few years now.

They are so pretty - maybe if we buy this house and we become stable home owners I may feel comfortable enough (?!) having a spot for flowers like orchids and indoor blooming bulbs like amaryllis, but for now I leave that to you old fart homeowners. :D

LOVEYA!
Hope you're enjoying the unseasonably warm December.

A.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

What'd you just call me!?! LOL

Al

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

:D

LOL!

A. ..... you may be a stable homeowner but not sure you will ever be stable. LOL

Finger is still numb and somewhat swollen, but Dr. is confident that eventually I will get feeling back in it. I go back to see him again 5/30/12. He seems pleased with the healing. Thanks for asking.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Sorry, I don't actually own a stable.. just a home.

Al

Philadelphia, PA

Happy Birthday Jan

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday, Have a great day, Jan!

Happy Birthday, Girlfriend...

Hi everyone. Thanks for the birthday wishes. As for my bulbs I leave them in ground all year. Just mulch over them to help protect them a little. What survive the squirrels, do well. You can also keep the bulbs dark n dry till spring and then plant. Either way is good. If you want early blooms you can plant in pots inside and get an early start. I sometimes do this also. Some Amaryllis are not cold hardy. You may have those and they will not survive outside. They need to be in pots inside. You should check on yours to see which you have. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.