Starting over.

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

We moved to a new property last November. It was a yard full of grass with square and round bushes. I'm a plant collector and had to move over 600 different perennials, woody shrubs and trees along with too many bulbs to count. I have the front yard on it's way, the one side is for berries and fruit trees but my back is the side of a mountain. The soil is slightly sandy, filled with mine rock and tons of night crawlers, not good for forest trees. I'm struggling to fill in the back and can't wait until it begins to bloom this spring. Some pictures to follow.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Property when we first bought it.

Thumbnail by mgarr

The front yard now that I've moved some plants in from our old property.

Thumbnail by mgarr

The front yard another view.

Thumbnail by mgarr

My new front yard.

Thumbnail by mgarr

The left side of the house before.

Thumbnail by mgarr

The back of the house looking over steep hill into wooded area now. We had to put steps over the fence to keep from falling as you walked down into the woods.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2011 7:32 AM

Thumbnail by mgarr

Back of the house before any planting.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Right side of the house before.

Thumbnail by mgarr
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow what a difference! You've been busy! looks great!

Thanks!

Right side in early May.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's a lot of work considering the soil prep. It should explode next spring.
Andy P

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Wonderful work on those gardens!

South Hamilton, MA

great to have a gardener in charge. I like the contrasts especially the purple leaved shrub. Neighbors conifer is worrying as trees down on wires is a hazard. It obviously has stood for a good number of years & hope it stays that way. Your poor former house has lost a lot.

I incorporated 6 cubic yards of compost into the front yard. Lot of work but worth it. I took to raking the neighbor's oak leaves to start making my own mulch for next years fertilizer. After this there won't be much work other than cutting back and dividing plants. Easier to sit with a glass of ice tea and watch everyone else cut grass all summer.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

:) Grass definately belongs in OTHER people's yards!

Spoken like a true gardener.

Mount Laurel, NJ

Your yard looks really nice. How nice to have a great gardener for a neighbor! Keep up the good work. Love your pictures!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, leave the grass for the other guys. A well prepared perennial flower garden is less work & more rewarding than a mono-culture lawn.
My lawn is shrinking, too.
Andy P

Do you have pictures Sarahskeeper?

Thomaston, CT

You have created a real haven for bees and butterflies....birds, too, I'm sure....lovely!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice! I personally prefer flowering shrubs, including natives, to perennials, though I still have many. Bulbs, shrubs, trees and vines are wonderful and practically no maintenance. Perennials do require cutting back/removal. Many require deadheading - for better bloom and/or eliminating seeds that will spread the plant. They are also less drought tolerant, in general, than the others.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2011 8:33 PM

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

mgarr, sure I have pics. But this is your thread.
I don't have B4 & after like you cause I've been here for 25 years.
Here's a 21 X 7 ft section of former lawn with my namesake Sarah.

Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is my back yard including the above garden a couple months later. This was all grass planted over what used to be a sand & gravel pit B4 the house was built. Compost is the key, make & use as much as possible.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

I love the way you spread out the Lilium instead of keeping them all in one spot. It moves your eye across the planting nicely.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Very lovely! Both of you!!!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Great job! Your hard work shows!

South Hamilton, MA

great pictures.

Thomaston, CT

Beautiful garden, Andy!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice

Thanks for all your kind words. M

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Did you slip in a few spring bulbs?

I grow about 30 different species of bulbs. Because of all the field mice and squirrels I don't do many tulip species but there are so many different spring bulbs and early summer flowering bulbs I don't miss the tulips much. The picture is of ornamental onions.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I love the alliums too. Do you think they work as repellants for voles and mice?

No. My cats and the Hawk seem to work better.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I like the large allium. Very majestic.

Thomaston, CT

I have no luck with alliums....they die out on me after a year or two.....

Robindog, send me you address in the late spring and I'll send you some bulbs. Mine keep multiplying. Maybe you are planting where the soil is too wet at one time during their cycle. I even plant some in the woods where they get almost not sun.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Very much enjoying the photos, especially 'before and after'. Quite a change and can appreciate your hard work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.