DAILY BIRD PICS VOL. 423

Norwalk, OH(Zone 5a)

I enjoy all the wonderful pics so much!
I got another 'lifer' today...Common Goldeneye
at the Huron Pier.

Thumbnail by Ladi_Burd
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Congrats Ladi.

I've been lurking for a while, so glad to see everyone's pix. I'm a bit jealous because I mostly only have one bazillion and one house sparrows at the feeders.

However, here are a few pix from the past month.

This sapsucker was here for two days in November. The odd thing was… he ate from the seed platform. I'd never seen that before.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Also from November, male and female purple finch (and others).

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Cuties. I had quite a few of these American Goldfinch in the middle of november. A few now, not as much though.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

THIS is why I don't put out much suet anymore. Starlings and House Sparrows hog it all.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

and lastly, speaking of suet… A male flicker stopped in the other day for some of the tasty stuff. He was on it for a good 5 minutes or so. This is him eyeing it before landing on the feeder.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2011 3:09 PM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Great pictures everyone. Mrs. Ed, love the doo on that Purple Finch. Looks like a hair piece.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I keep hoping to spot a Purple Finch but just keep seeing these very bright House Finch!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lots of male HF around....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Joined by a Tufted Titmouse....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Tons of those House Finch here too, Nanny, eating all of the time. Nice shots.

Sandusky, OH

Great shots everyone!! Really hoping the rain stays away for a while, managed to get out for a bit with Ladi_Burd, temps were around 32f with westerly winds.
I had a nice photo session with a female Red-breasted Merganser once again, and a few Horned Grebe's came close.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

There had to be a couple thousand Red-breasted Merganser's fishing for gizzard shad within 200 yards of us...she popped up in front of us and did not seemed too spooked at our presence.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

We counted about a dozen Horned Grebe's also...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

some came really close...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

and some seemed very curious...last

Ladi_Burd got another lifer with the Common Goldeneye ( i get just as excited as she does when she gets a new bird..lol) but with its sighting i,m hoping they are on their way along with the Common Merganser's...sunshine is on its way.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice shots Burd! I thought I had a Horned Grebe a few weeks ago but was talked out of it. Congrats to Ladi_Burd too!
Nanny, I feel your pain. I had my first Purple Finch the other day when it was too dark to get a good picture. Haven't seen it since. Nice shots of the HF!
Mrs. Ed, love the purple finch and the sapsucker. I have suet out and nothing is eating it!
Duc, love the double cormorants! and the hummers and the acorn woodpecker. Great shots all of them.
Red, the sun is back but so are freezing temps. Nice rainy day memories.
Rose, stunning shots!
Beclu, love those hawks. Wow!
Chily, nice start. Lily, love your flicker. Margaret, love it!
All great pics! So glad that I didn't miss this thread entirely!

I don't have anything great to share, but here's a mockingbird in front of some green stuff that will be brown tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, didn't think that last post actually made it b/c the computer froze up. I'm so glad that I don't have to write that again. Here's an Orange-crowned Warbler.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Last one, a House Finch with a bent feather. You'd think he'd pull it out or something but it's been like that for a while.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Lakeview, OH

All the pictures are great, but since I have gotten to go back to work, the only time I have to take pictures is the weekend. As for my job, the only part that I am having any trouble at all is standing. We are not allowed to sit down until breaks and it makes it a little strenuous standing all that time when you are not used to it, hopefully my feet will get toughened up so it won't bother me so much. The job itself is not hard at all, I don't lift anything heavy like I did before and the people I work with are friendly and that helps a lot especially when you are the newest temp on the job. But I like it, don't hold your breath, might be getting another vehicle to replace the truck, but my hubby has to go and check it out to see if it is okay. It is a mininvan, but as long as it runs and gets us where we need to go, who cares what it looks like as long as it is not falling apart. Merry Christmas everyone!

(Zone 5a)

Teddy, I am glad your job is going well. I think most jobs I had required a lot of time on my feet and I got used to it in time. Oh, but I remember those first couple days.... I didn't think I could stand any more. And a Marry Christmas to you, too.
Mrs_Ed, That is too bad about the Starlings and House Sparrows, but what a joy to see the Flicker. We've been thrilled to have a female come every day for a month now. She enjoys all the peanuts and homemade "suet" we provide. A little too much, I'd say. :)
Here is her royal fatness, Peanut. Haha. Ok... it was a really cold day, too.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Ladi, congratulations on the lifer goldeneye.

Mrs Ed, great shot of your sapsucker. Nice shot of the pair of p. finches too.

Nanny, cute finches.

Burd, wonderful shots of the merganser and grebe.

Elphaba, I know what you mean when the computer freezes up-whew! Cute photos of your birds. That out of place feather must not bother the bird much.

Teddy, glad you're liking your new job.

Chilly, your flicker is a cutie.

Here one of 17 Great Egrets we counted at the park a couple days ago.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This Scrub Jay was working hard to get an acorn.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Gladstone, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is a Sandhill Crane and the kids from May of 2009 when I was vacationing at my brothers near St. Cloud, Florida.

Thumbnail by dougNKC
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Almost got it but then a Lewis's Woodpecker chased it off.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's a Lewis's Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Gladstone, MO(Zone 5b)

yum, yum, yum says Woody Woodpecker! Taken in Florida in May 2009.

Thumbnail by dougNKC
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I got another "lifer" too-a Red-breasted Sapsucker. Just one or two are ever found in our county each year.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Gladstone, MO(Zone 5b)

Just a few of the thousands of snow geese that make there way along the Missouri River every year. This is December of 2010 at Lewis & Clark Village about 30 miles northwest of Kansas City. This spot will likely be skipped over by the birds this year, due to the massive flooding destroying the area this past summer.

Thumbnail by dougNKC
Norman, OK

Lots of good pics. Congrats on the sapsucker, duc. I've had a YB sapsucker in the yard a few times this year. Last year he about destroyed a young Live Oak. Computer crashed yesterday and I lost a few pics, but not too many. A trip to Best Buy and I'm back in business. Still, a pain to set up a new computer.

The bluebirds were active in the yard this morning. A male young of the year was with them. Mama and Daddy did their daily inspection of the nest box.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

The young male perched on Daddy's favorite spot, highest point in my yard. I suspect Daddy will evict him before spring.

Norman, OK

In this pic Mama is inside the box and Daddy assumes his normal posture, peering over the edge of the roof to keep an eye on the entrance.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Doug, we overlapped photos, but great job with yours. Sorry to hear about the flooding, maybe they'll still return.

Red, your bbs couldn't be any cuter. Wonderful photos!

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Great photos ! I never saw baby sand cranes before.

Norwalk, OH(Zone 5a)

Congrats Duc on the Red-breasted Sapsucker.
Wonderful pics everyone!

Great pictures. Red, I love those Bluebird shots. Fantastic.

Marlton, NJ

Great shots everyone!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cormorant just returned to the surface after a dive.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Stafford County, VA

starling in flight

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

female downy in flight

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.