DAILY BIRD PICS VOL. 423

(Zone 5a)

It is now the time to begin a new thread. Here is a link to the previous one http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1231489/ There are some wonderful pictures, so go back if you have not yet seen them.

I named this Harris's Sparrow, Bonkers, a later than usual migrant in our area. On a cold, windy day, s/he had a run in with a window that did not have any decals on them (You can be sure they do now), but survived the blow. I was concerned for awhile, but after a bit, s/he perked up and few off. I hope it made its way south to a warmer climate.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Norman, OK

Good shot, chilly. We have lots of wintering Harris Sparrows in OK, but I seldom get any on the grain I broadcast daily behind the house. Get about everything else, though.

A pic of Mama enjoying a breakfast of big ole fat mealworms.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

Visited the Wichita Mountains in SW Oklahoma yesterday. Shot mostly animals and sunset from atop Mt. Scott. Ran across this meadowlark perched on a buffalo turd in a prairie dog town. I'd hoped to spot a burrowing owl, but no such luck.

Marlton, NJ

Great job Chillybean! Thanks for starting the new thread!

Nice ones red!

Lakeview, OH

Get to go to work tonight, they called this morning. Wish me luck!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Great one to start us off Chilly!

Would love to get tyour neck of the woods someday Red!

Good Luck Teddy!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Chillybean, thank you for the new thread. Cute Harris Sparrow. Good luck teddy. Red, love that pix of 'momma' enjoying her treat. Nothern Flickers are abundant this time of year here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Chillybean, love the Sparrow. Glad Bonkers was okay. Red, love mama chowing down on the meal worms. Nice Flicker Lily.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

On the last thread-
mnshutterbug, great shot of the cormorant.

Lily, I'm so glad you got the bbs to the feeder-great job!

Ladi Burd, your bb is a cutie!

Chilly, thank you for the new start. I'm glad your little sparrow made it. We've tried the decals and had no success so don't feel bad.

Red, beautiful bb and meadowlark-lol.

Lily, good one of the flicker too.

We found this Great Egret at the park the other day.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Also found a cute Pied-billed Grebe.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Also found a Black-crowned Night Heron.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Back at home I'm enjoying the hummers fight over a perch.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

And last is a Scrub Jay.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Gorgeous shot of the Scrub Jay duc! Love the Night Heron.

Handsome Flicker Lily!

Good Luck teddy!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have really enjoyed all of your wonderful photos. Haven't taken many here. Tried to send the one I did get of the hungry goldfinches, but am still having trouble with finding picture after downloading. Don't knowhat my problem is. Our weather has been pretty good for Dec. some sun but rather cold. Was 19 degrees here this morning but did get up to 45 for a little while.

Thanks again for taking an sending along all the interesting pictures.,

Donna

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Yikes Donna, that's awfully cold! Sorry about your photo problems.

Here's a shot of a Turkey Vulture getting some sun.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

All the Acorn Woodpeckers are sure busy picking up and storing the acorns.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Checking over how much room is left for more acorns.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This female Nuttall's Woodpecker prefers the berries on the poison oak to the red Toyon tree berries.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's her brother or mate. I know if I see one of them here, the other is closeby.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2011 4:48 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's a Bewick's Wren.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from ducbucln :
All the Acorn Woodpeckers are sure busy picking up and storing the acorns.

Duc, this picture made my mouth opened just as wide as the bird with the acorn in its beak! LOL Shots like these make me yearn to visit the same region where you live. The Nuttall wps look to be the size of a downy or a Yellow-bellied sapsucker maybe? Love all those shots with or without the berries.

(Zone 5a)

Amazing photos, all of you! I am enjoying learning so much about all these birds we may never get to see. I like Meadowlarks, but what is that one thinking, Reddirretiree?! LOL .
Teddy, how did your first night go on the job?

Not a great picture, but I thought this mean-looking Goldfinch looked cute.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Great pictures everyone ! I don't have a new one to post, but there were 20 mourning doves on my patio this afternoon ! I couldn't get them all in one camera shot !

Norman, OK

Nice pics, duc. I need some of those berries in my yard. I may have to go down to Hobby Lobby, buy some fake ones and wire them in my dormant bushes. :-)

Cold rainy day here, no light or I'd go out and look for something to shoot. Found a couple of pics I'd never processed. This shot of a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was taken in late summer when they are molting, so I'm not sure of its sex. Normally the males have longer tails. I'm sittin' here in this gloomy weather and he's in Costa Rica or someplace.

Norman, OK

And this guy's probably hangin' out on the Yucatan. Maybe we'll meet in High Island come April. Indigo Bunting.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL red!! Man...would love to see a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher some time.

PERTH, Australia

Good start, Chillybean.

Duc the Hummingbirds fighting is fantastic.

Red, the Scissor-tail is beautiful. Well captured.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mourning Dove at the feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lakeview, OH

my first night on the job was ok, I don't have to lift those heavy windshields anymore and don't have to stand up on the platform and inspect them either. I take the side windows and at some stations you put primer on them at other stations you put clips in a machine and then lay the glass in there and then a robot takes the glass, goes through a machine where it heats it up and then brings it out to another machine that holds it whike you reprime another part and put the bevels in and it attaches the bevels to the windows. Then you take the extra clips off and put it on the rack. It is not hard but it is hard getting used to standing all the time, you are NOT allowed to sit down, and it was the first time I had worn my steel toed shoes for a year and a half, boy was my feet sore. Thanks for asking.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Chilly, your cute goldfinch looks pretty cold-I'd be grouchy too!

Countrymom, that's a lot of doves. At least you got to enjoy them.

Red, I'd gladly trade some berries for that scissor-tail and bunting! Beautiful birds and photos.

Lily, sweet little dove.

From a few days ago, a Great Blue Heron.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's one of my female Northern Flickers.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

A Killdeer.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Our American White Pelicans are gaining in numbers on the lake but nothing like the hundreds we had a couple years ago.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's a Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice capture of the Yellow-rumped Warbler inflight, Duc. Love other shots too. Boys, to see hundreds of Pelicans at a time must be mesmerizing!

Norman, OK

More good birds, duc. I have a pic somewhere of a YR falling off a branch. Just happened as I shot. I hate it when these guys show up, fortunately not every day. This is only a small part of them. There were about 200 on the ground when I took this. They empty all the feeders except the caged one.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes a really good shot of the Yellow Rumped Warbler. I occasionally see one here in the yard , jn the fall.

It is 40 degrees now at 9:30 am, but with a 10 mph north wind, feels a lot colder. The birds are enjoying the electric heated water basin.

There are more Northern Flickers here this year, a pretty bird but very destructful for house siding.

Donna

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

2 Hawks came looking for food in our back woods today. Here they are in a squirrel nest.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

One resting on a branch.

Thumbnail by beclu727

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.