which Bulbo

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Question - never had any type of Bulbo. But want to get some. Recommendations on a good plant?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hmm, so many to choose from. Are you thinking a species or a hybrid? For species I have and love Bulbo bicolor. Of course Bulbo medusae is so far out. Then there is Bulbo bootanoides, syn. frostii which is cute as a button. The flowers are small but not nano. For hybrids, Bulbo Elizabeth Ann Buckleberry is very popular and accomodating when it comes to easy blooming. Some of the prettiest species are difficult. They hate repotting and will sit and sulk for six months or a year without growing, hate being repositioned, hate temperature, humidity and watering fluctuations. You get it. I have to repot almost every one I ever get because they grow so wet the medium breaks down fast. Once I repot they rarely bloom the following year and sometimes not the year after that either. Bulbos are often the bonds of orchids, not the stocks.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanx, Laurel. I like the looks of the medusae. Frostii I like, but you know I lean to those smaller plants right now.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I love the looks of medusae as well but mine has only bloomed twice in 5 years and I am constantly working just to keep it alive. Bill Thoms, the alpha male of my orchid club, wrote a good book on Bulbos and grows the A-Dorible series. They seem much easier to grow and bloom every year.

Jim

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Though A-doribles are on the large side. Another species that is small and easy to bloom with lots of pretty flowers is Bulbo. odoratum. This one is a spring bloomer so if your considering the purchase now you could have flowers in May.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.