Can this plant be saved?

I apologize for not knowing much about plants/gardening as I am slowly trying to learn. I live in SW Florida and a plant by my front door seems to have gotten white spots on it which is now making yellow spots on the leaves. I have lived here for 2 years and this plant has been here for at least 3 years if not longer. I have noticed in the past 3-4 months that slowly there were a few white spots and now the plant is covered in them. I tried doing searches online and the only thing that came up was something about salt.
I also do not know the name of this plant, however I believe it to be very common in the area as I have seen it planted in many frnt yards, shopping centers and road medians. Also I assumed this was a self sufficient plant because I never water or feed it, and it was doing fine for quite a while.
My question is, can this plant be saved or should I remove it?
If it can be saved, what would be involved?

Thumbnail by MELISP74
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

That appears to be a horrible case of scale of some sort-

is that treatable or should i remove it? i have 2 beautiful hibiscus plants that i started a few months ago and would be devastated if they caught it.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

You can try spraying it with Bayer Advanced Insect, Disease, and Mite control....or even the Bayer 3 in 1 for roses. That looks like a Strelitzia regina ( bird of paradise).

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Given the white color it could be mealybugs too, the Bayer stuff will work for them too. You might also try giving it a good strong blast with the hose to wash off as many of them as you can first. If you let it go and don't do anything it can be fatal eventually, but if you treat it then it should recover fine. I would also check any plants that are near it to make sure they're not getting a start on them too.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

If it is scale wouldn't horticultural oil help? It would smother the little buggers. Use all season oil, not dormant oil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.