Winter MG blooms 2011-2012 # 1

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227634

Feel free to post your winter MG blooms here.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Pretty bloom Jackie.

I had this repeat bloom yesterday.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Very pretty Helena. Now I wonder about my vine marked Weird Purple Saz.
Do you have a name for your bloom?
I can compare them better when I get this pic posted right below yours.

Thumbnail by patootie

Well I can see differences now. I couldn't see until I got them in very close proximity.

Gautier, MS

I like your pretty Weird Purple Saz Jackie. I see that the center is different from mine, I got it from Azuremore & it's blue rayed.

Quite cold here today so I was surprised to see this small hige this morning, my first this year! It's supposed to go down to 34 degrees tonight.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Very pretty Helena.
It's supposed to go down to 34 here tonight too.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, I don't think it got down that low for us maybe 37-40. But it feels cold enough for us here.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well... it's not really winter yet... but it is a month after our first 4" of snow... well.. maybe it is...
I have this blooming here today...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
(Zone 7a)

Being so much closer to the arctic circle than the rest of us so far on this thread, that is a remarkable photo, Gordon :)

If I may ask a stupid question, do those leaves go with the mg flower portrayed in your pic? Or is it a purp lurking among another plant? Very interesting plant. Thank you.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice flowers, all!

I don't believe in stupid questions... For example: Has anyone ever grown morning glories amongst Buddleia? And, do I get any bonus points if I correctly answer a question with another question??

-Nick

I was going to guess Asclepias, butterfly weed, but I think you're answer is closer Nick.
Lvs too short to be butterfly weed so perhaps it is Buddleia. I'm sure you deserve bonus points. :-)

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Yes...Nifty.... I guess I do... yes it's a few leaves from my white flowering Buddleia...
it's a cage fight here... everything grows together ... and the survivor gets ...top billing with the sun...It's a pretty good flower for this time of year.. they shrink in the fall... ..not to mention after the snows.. but there's alot still flowering roses...daisys... verbina.. plumbego has a few... and the passifloras... Anastasia pictured here.. awaiting ripening on my seed pods... so it's all still out... oh.. and there's still honeysuckle blooming also... sweet olive... impatients..bacopia and more...
I'm in zone 4 through and including zone 14 here on the roof... a microclime that runs from artic to something akin to the Sahara.. when the roof it sits on gets to be 165* in the summer... and the wind blowing off it is like a convection oven...so Monday when it was 70* F air temperature... the roof likely got up to about 120* F... solar assist....

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, that's really pretty neat!

bluespiral: I hope you know that I meant that I don't believe there is such a thing as a stupid question (only stupid answers... but even then there are many exceptions to the rule). Humor or light-heartedness was all I was attempting... In re-reading my post, I can see that it could be perceived as "not so funny" or worse... definitely not what was intended! ^_^

This message was edited Nov 30, 2011 6:12 PM

Gautier, MS

Nice purpurea Gordon and I really like your passionflower too! I don't know if I could garden on a roof top with those challenges but you do a great job at it!

It was about 41 degrees inside my car this morning when I had to use it. But inside gh I had 2 mgs blooms.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

And here's the other mg.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

hi everyone, I thought I had lost you.. been so sick, just so glad to see such pretty blooms right now.. as soon as I get well, I will show you my winter blooms..

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Lovely other one Helen... ruffled... I love the blueish red together.. like the old tail lights red with the blue spot in the cemnter.. looking almost electric when lit.. I've an orchid cactus with that coloration.. from picabo..I've yet to get large enough to flower.. they manage the conditions.. I just help a little bit.. from time to time...
I thought the question/answer was cute.. and a bit amazing.. considering the possibilities in all the plant world... when I figured out that was what it was..
Welcome back Debra....here's a flower for you

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
(Zone 7a)

Beautiful flowers, everyone - thank you for sharing. And may those in need of healing recover speedily and well.

I found another Japanese artwork with morning glories from the Showa Period (1926 - 1989) by Tsuchiya Rakuzan (1896-1976) at: http://elle-belle10.livejournal.com/1613499.html

Enjoy

This message was edited Dec 1, 2011 2:18 PM

(Zone 7a)

oops - Gordon our posts crossed - beautiful picture - I agree about Helen's morning glories

Nice blooms Gordon and Helena.

The only blooms I've had lately.

Debra hope you're feeling much better.

Thumbnail by patootie

Finally I can breathe, sniff,m and move around without feeling like I am going sideways..
I love that bloom, Jackie, thank you!
this is a stictocardia brevenis seed sprout ... i sucked on it for twenty minutes a day for three days in a row, left it in a small amount of water in a shot glass on top of the refridgerator, and here it is..

Thumbnail by joeswife

here it is now.. so cute to see them pop up..
big sticto is still vining and there are a few buds forming.. can't wait to see those..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, thanks. Your baby seedling looks great!!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

I should start mine now maybe... last year I waited till Feburary.. and had two nice little plants to set out with the first warm weather.. One seed was from e-bay.. which grew to a big 15' vine.. about as big around as my thumb...with lots of branching.. .. it turned dry and crispy with the first cold of halloween.. no flowers.. the other.. from Jacques on Reunion Island.. it made a clump of 8 leaves. that grew big.. but never got above a foot tall.. not a hint of vineing.. also no flowers.. it was a mystery.. but perhaps it was suffering the result of some treatment that contained some gibrillic acid used to start it off.. it's wierd and unpredictable stuff..
thanks for the reminder... Debra.. I'll start some this weekend
OH I did pull the root ball of the big vine up for overwintering.. but I have no.. absolutely no real hope of it's recovery
picture is of the one that grew no vine.. it's the big leaves there...they don't look damaged.. and everything else in the container is doing fine.. I'll look for a picture of the big vine

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

welll here's one... it's the vine growing up about in the center of the photo.. to the right of the yellow brug.. Ludger's summer dream... and to the left of the buddelia... the picture was from the middle of August... and a month and 1/2 before the early snow of Halloween that did it in... seems like it should have flowered by then...
OH... I had a question of the growers of this Stictocardia... mine seemed to prefer the shade... vines are such sun seekers... but thios one grew up into it OK... but had it's leaves mostly pointing the other way to the north side of the trellis... when it got to the topp of it & about 8-10 ft... I strung a support across the arden to the south side for it to grow out across on... but the new vine there was always flopping back to the shady side.. and refused... although I started it across this new support ... it would turn back and refuse to go to the sun.. but would flop unsupported back in the shade of it's self.. maybe being from Africa... it is an inbreed protection system in play... has anyone noticed this tendency on this vine

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

gosh Gordon, mine has always been in morning sun and afternoon shade, outside, no blooms, inside, constant light, constant darkness at night, it is viing to the light in the iddle of the room.. last year mine grew out of the closet under a light, outinto the room and way from the light, but the blooms came from the inside of the closet after the vining tapered off and I started snipping on it.. your first post looks like there might be a caudex in there? is there?
messina creeper is blooming still..and setting pods..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, cute Messina Creeper. What size is the bloom?

hi Jackie, and good morning.. those blooms are about an inch across.. someoe sent them to me as i cairica, but A ( karen) told me she didn't think they were that mg, but I still like it so much I keep it as it is easy to train to a topiary..

Debra, I bet my bloom was the same. Mine looked alot like yours, same size and color etc.
I forgot to cut mine loose from the fence to greenhouse it. :-(

well, Jackie, I have four plants inside, I can safely send you one if you want.. sure is fun to watch the inside, get a vine wreath thing going on..
gotta send A the real i cairica palmate seeds I found, ( I hope they are real)

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is the i plantesis caudex, in a new location, it has runners going evrywhere, I put up leader yARN ON THE CEILINGS FOR IT TOO.. oops caps lock

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, thanks for your kind offer. I have plenty of sds so I can just start a couple more this next season.
Your plants all looking good.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Can I butt in and join ya'll?

Debra, you've been my impetus for growing MG's outside the past couple of years and always enjoy seeing your blooms in Winter.

Never have tried growing MG's inside, but figured what the heck....there's a first time for everything and have fresh seeds to at least try. When should I start them and how? I've reserved the top shelf on my gro-light system for lettuces and MG's and whatever else strikes my fancy over the Winter that's hopefully easy, but got to say I'm more excited about the possibility of having MG's blooming during the Winter than I am being able to munch on lettuce.

top shelf sounds good to me under a light, mine have top shelf, window ledges, lights and yarn strung up to climb on ... powder the seeds with cinnamon beofre you plant, and start them in water to sprout somewhere warm, mine gets going on the top of the fridge..the really big ones, even tho it sounds DANGerous, gets a few minutes in my mouth to get the acid on them.. sounds gross, but it works, and I only do this on the large hard coated seeds..
no poision effects yet, been doing it for while now.. also I use an emery board on the regular seeds to file a bit before soaking..

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Best wishes to those fighting illnesses... I've been out of commission for about 2 weeks now, so I sympathize. Going to doctor in the morning.

Just took a pic of what was a bluish purple kikyo this morning — now looking quite pinkish violet tonight... This is one of about 8 varieties I'm growing on a south-facing windowsill (no gro-lights).

Thumbnail by nifty413
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the tips to get started, Debra.

Take care of yourself, Nifty. Your bloom is so pretty with it's white picotee.

that is just crazy pretty, Nick!
glad you have south facing window sill room.. i think i am jealous! somewhere on dg i read that a guy had a mg growing all year round from a window and it vined everwhere,,,, how cool!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2011 8:41 PM

Pretty Kikyo bloom Nick. Glad you're feeling better.

Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms and nice plants everybody.

After a warm day yesterday it's getting cool again here but I had this nice bloom too in the gh.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.