Spiraea prunifolia pics in Plantfiles- your opinion

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I was looking at Spiraea prunifolia VS S. x vanhouttei
Would you agree that in Plantfiles for prunifolia here
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64375/
that the pics from RoyB, hgurule, and Gabrielle and stormyla show the vanhouttei ? (which we commonly call bridal wreath around here)

The rylaff picture, I'm not sure what I think on that one; it looks doubled and maybe its cantoniensis or maybe not enough detail to say.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Not to throw a wrench into your endeavor - but I have a really hard time generating a scintilla of "care" about Spiraea...sorry.

Fair enough.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I don't know enough about these Spiraea to help but if you have doubts about the IDs of the posted photos, I'd very strongly encourage you to ask the administrators to remove the questionable ones. Chances are that some less-knowledgeable posters reacted to the common name while not realizing the implication of different species names.

If PlantFiles is intended to be a useful data source - which I assume is one of the goals, beyond it being a "fun" thing for people to contribute to - the errors, when noticed, really need to be corrected.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2011 1:58 PM

altagardener~ I feel that way too but perhaps that is expecting too much. I did ask Admin and was asked to specify certain pictures. I'm not sure who's to say my earnest attempts are much better than random submissions by other interested gardeners.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.