Any Rocky Mtn. Horse fans here?

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I have a 5 yr. old black Rocky that I just adore. I have always wanted a Rocky since I saw one in a magazine back around the time the breed became officially recognized. I think it was around 1986. I have ridden several gaited breeds (TWH, MFTs, Paso Finos, Peruvian Paso and Kentucky Mountain) but none could compare to a Rocky, IMO. They have it all--extremely smooth, completely NATURAL gait, people loving personality, nonspooky, intelligent, willing, endurance and sure footedness. I am totally in love with the breed. Anyone here share my passion for these wonderful animals? My gelding is just barely 14HH and he would gladly come right into the house if I let him! What a character. I also discovered he can do a single foot the other day! He's 5 gaited, although he hasn't done a running walk undersaddle yet, just a couple times when being lunged. Pictured is me and my 9 yr. old grandson last year coming back from a trail ride. I'm in the lead on River, my Rocky. He's on my 25 yr. old Arab, Saber.

Thumbnail by Seaecho
This thread has 29 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!