Austrian Pine, Waco, TX suddenly has lots of yellow needles

Waco, TX(Zone 8a)

This pine was planted in the fall of 2010. We were told it was grown within 100 miles of here, so although not native, it was adapted to the area. We have babied this tree through the intense drought of 2011 and it seemed to be doing well until about one month ago. We began to notice some yellowing of the needles so we fertilized it with 4 stakes of tree and shrub fertilizer. Could that be the cause of even more yellowing and needle drop? It has been green all year and even through the intense heat of the summer so we thought we were in the clear until now.

What do we do now?

Thanks.

Thumbnail by cedarstudio
Waco, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, don't mean to be confusing. We used to live in Denver and I see I need to update my location. We live in Waco, TX now.

Fort Wayne, IN

I'm not an expert but I've always heard that pines like an acid soil. When Mine start yellowing like that I mix an acid fertilizer and water it in, I don't think those stakes do any good. Its much better to get a water soluble fertilizer. Hope all goes well.
Acts

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Austrian Pine is lime-tolerant. I'd suspect it is delayed reaction to the summer drought - conifer foliage often continues to look good for some time after it is actually dead.

Resin

Waco, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for the replies. Would adding iron help? Do you think we can save it?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd doubt it. Looks to me like it is already dead.

Resin

Fort Wayne, IN

No...Its not dead yet..give it some time to come out of its shock from summer.
Acts

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Is it possibly Sphaeropsis? A close up of the tips on the upper protion of the tree would help.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP_24_W.pdf

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

cedarstudio

Our county landscape was changed for decades to come by this drought. We are surrounded by Loblolly pines, part of the Lost Pines Area. So many of them have died or are dying because of the drought. It really doesn't seem to matter the size of the trees although there are more of the smaller trees that have died. I lost all my young fruit trees this year. They just didn't have enough of a root system to survive month after month on the amount of water I was giving them. I almost lost my 10 year old Fuyu persimmon. Even though I was watering it, the surrounding dry area quickly wicked the water away. What finally had to do was to leave a sprinkler on each tree for at least 12 - 24 hours. Watering out beyond the roots seemed to help. I was able to do this because we have our own well here on the ranch. If you were restricted to hand watering once a week, it would not have been enough. I can't understand these cities that encourage hand watering since that only encourages shallow roots which dry out even more quickly. A stressed tree definitely fall prey to all sorts of diseases. In addition to losing those young fruit trees, I lost 2 beautiful 200+ year old live oak trees. Each has a circumference of over 20'. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all the others survive the stress. I know many will be dropping huge branches in the next year or two. So far, the few water oaks that survived an earlier drought and post oaks appear to be hanging on.

Waco, TX(Zone 8a)

bettydee, thank you for your reply. we will see what the spring brings in terms of our pine tree. so sorry about your trees, especially your live oaks. as an austin native they are dear to my heart. along those lines, so sad to see zilker park in austin and the live oak tree loss there. my husband heard a news report a few days ago that said that texas lost over 1 billion trees state-wide due to the sustained heat and drought the past couple of years. that's changing our landscape like you said, "for decades to come."

i appreciate all of the replies.

West Jordan, UT

The tree is not dead ! I have the same tree and had that happen to it. I put some composted manure on the ground around it and then sprayed it with a mixture of whole milk and water 10 to 1 ratio. Milk will kill the fungus on the tree. Mine looks great now. Just make sure you are giving some kind of acid fertilizer also. Beer is great for pine and acid loving plants and has lots of other great stuff in it also. Hope this helps.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2012 5:20 PM

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

bjohns - Just a clarification please 10 parts milk to 1 part water???????????

West Jordan, UT

1 part milk 10 parts water sorry typed it wrong. So if using 1cup milk use 10 cups water and then just spray the tree.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2012 10:07 AM

West Jordan, UT

The milk is a old school fungicide used by farmers over a hundred years ago works great.

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

It appears that current year growth is dying - perhaps "Sphaeropsis Tip Blight" in which drought conditions are a major contributing factor... just a thought ... see info at www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP_24_W.pdf.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.