Transplanting cone flowers

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I have a large section of cone flowers at this time and was wondering if I could separate them. Is this the time to do it. It is very warm here today and that it would be a good time to do it.

Sami

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

it's too late as you should be getting a freeze soon and there won't be enough time for the plant to establish after division before nature tells them to go dormant. wait till they pop up in the spring and divide at that time.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I divided mine in September and it worked great. I now have 2 Merlot!

I programmed in my phone to divide coneflowers on September 30. It's like a birthday. LOL. You missed the deadline. ;)

If the plant you are dividing is huge, divide in fall or spring.
If it is a smaller plant, divide in spring only.

I accidentally divided my Merlot. I was moving it because it was too close to another plant. A piece of it fell off! It wanted to be divided. :)

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

whoops if it is too late I goofed. The plant was really large though. It is doing great. It has been exceptionally warm here. It does not seem like it is even fall. We are still in the 70's during the day. I had my windows and doors open today. Will see what happens.

Thanks all though.

sami

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I have a huge Eastern purple, I guess I will wait. My Black eyed susan got pretty big too, both of these were just a new plant from home depot last year and they already need to be divided. I want to put them out in the yard I think they are too big for the flower bed, also I had a Lantana in a three inch pot I got from some mail order co. and now it is three feet wide.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a purple I let go to seed, now this spring there everywhere.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

Virginiarose, I wanted to let you know that your seeds are popping for me. I am so waiting for the blooms. Thank you again for the seeds. Robyn

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

You are so welcome Robyn, Let me know how they look. Can't even remember what I sent now. :)

A bunch of different ones. I think I'm most excited to see the Irish Spring. I've never seen a flower with a green center.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh you mean the Rudbeckia Irish Eyes! Those are great. :)

I've got two sprouts and I keep talking to them, encouraging them. LOL.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I'm having trouble sending pictures on this website. There is much to talk about. I did wintersow a lot of seeds this is all I can show you for now, The milk cartons act like mini greenhouses and you just put a few air holes and drainage holes.

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose

I opened my containers last month, but I had not given most of them enough soil and lost alot of them because of that. I went ahead and started seeds in the containers and they are all doing well. This time I had enough soil to be generous with each one. Our really cold weather (not that we really got any this year) has passed so no need for the tops. I also planted some straight into the ground and they are just now starting to sprout. I've decided that from now on I will start all my seeds in containers because I'm not very good at telling a sprout from a weed. Some of the weeds start out looking very pretty until they get bigger. My Bacherlor Buttons are doing fantastic, already getting big. Of coarse the dandylions in the grass are doing the best. Drives me nuts. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.