My hibiscus is naked

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone,

I need some help here. One of my favorite hibiscus is mad at me! It was the only one to yellow and drop leaves when I brought it inside for the winter. I have had some other plants just start to show a yellow leaf here or there which I expected. They started a month after bringing them inside.

Everyone came inside the beginning of October to overwinter in my warm sunny windows. Yellowing and dropping leaves started within the first week that I brought this particular cv indoors. There are no mites in site as I have been mite free for a year now. This plant is now almost naked! The remaining leaves are green and healthy and stay strong till they start to yellow... The wood is hard and healthy too. There are nodes that are still green and look like they may sprout but I dont know if that is new, or leftover from summer.

It was very vigerous this summer and took off. The growth was spectacular.

Now, my question is, do I take a bunch of cuttings and try to root it so I don't loose it? I already put one cutting in my cloner and it didn't take, so I think it is not one to root easily. Or will cutting it cause stress. It may come back and if I were to cut it, it wont have a chance? It is a difficult cv to find...

UGH! ~Kristen~

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

a close up of nodes and wood

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

another close up of wood

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

a birdseye view

Thumbnail by blupit007
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

It's just mad at you and should start regrowing leaves soon. It is a common reaction of hibiscus when they are moved from one environment to another.
Be patient and remember that, until it does recover, to not over water it.
Barb

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks Barb. I thought that too, but thought it was weird that it is the only one out of all of them. Literally it is sitting on a long table behind my couch in front of a 10' sliding glass window along with 10 more hibiscus that get all day sun and it is the only one complaining! Although Thanksgiving is showing some leaf yellowing just this past week. Im not real worried about it because it is such a big strong plant.
Thanks for the help.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've found some cultivars can be more temperamental than others, so that could be why it's worse than the others. Or, is it potentially getting a cold draft from the window that the others aren't? Or is it more in the path of warm dry air when the furnace is running?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.