Help with peonies please

Beachwood, OH

This is so sad! but I found some peonies in pots that I had set behind shrubs 2 years ago when we were undergoing construction, and just rediscovered this fall. And yes they were still alive although somewhat depleted. I planted them out with eyes just at surface level and here is my question. To keep them safe and to mark the spot where they are planted I set 1 gallon black plastic pots upside down over the planting location. Is this ok for the winter or would it cause abnormal warming? I was really surprised these guys were still alive so I want to baby them till they are re-established. I can go back and mark them with stakes and just mulch over top till spring.
What do you think?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hello.

I have many peonies, but there are others with more expertise. However, I would not cover the peonies. They are fully hardy in your zone and do not need the protection. I think that your idea of marking the spot is an excellent one. I would mark the spot, give them some compost (being careful not to bury them too deeply, since two inches would be the most cover you would want). I'd go with a half inch to an inch of compost, and if it does not rain, give them some water.

These are tough little guys! Peonies neglected for 50 years survive. Bravo for coming to their rescue.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.