Gum Mastic Seeds

Long Beach, CA

I acquired some gum mastic seeds and I am having a very hard time getting any of them to germ. Anyone have ANY suggestions on how to get them to sprout? I have tried wet paper towels & refrigeration with no success!!

PLEASE give a girl a break if you know anything about these little goodies!

Tanks

Thumbnail by Rhapsody616
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Propagation

Pre-soak the seed for 16 hours in alkalized water, or for 3 - 4 days in warm water, and sow in late winter in a cold frame or greenhouse. Two months cold stratification may speed up germination, so it might be better to sow the seeds in early winter. The germination is variable and can be slow.

Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and grow the plants for at least their first winter in a greenhouse. Plant out into their permanent positions in early summer and consider giving some protection from winter cold for their first year or two outdoors.

Also, propagation is possible by taking cuttings of half-ripe wood from juvenile trees, taken in July and planted in a frame. Also, propagation is possible by soil layering.

Long Beach, CA

Thank you for answering my question!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I came up with the answer by doing a google.com search, but you're welcome!

Long Beach, CA

I came up with so much conflicting information I thought I would try here and see if anyone has had success with growing them

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.