Mexican Petunias in Zone 5/Do They Grow?

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Shout out for info
Is anyone growing Mexican Petunias in Zone 5
How do they fair
what do you do to make them successful
in grouns or in pots

Pittsburgh, PA

They will grow as annuals in zone 5, they will not overwinter outside. During the summer I have seen them seed themselves outside, but they never made it through the winter months.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Buffy, Just a note: I have read M. Petunias are pretty invasive even in zone 5--there's a couple of threads on the perennial forum that starts out : What you wish you hadn't planted. You may want to read some of the people's thoughts about them. There's one nhuntley in zone 5 that has them and talks about them. I just thought I would give you a heads up.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

One person's weed, is another persons passion
I let folks choose on their own and I do provide the rhizomous spreading issue
some folks use these in landscaping applications where they can't get other things to grow
and folks here just luv them
low maintenance
high coverage
lots of flowering
Someone has something negative to say about everything

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Some of us appreciate warnings in advance so we don't waste years (yes, years) of pulling out things like Houttuynia. Maybe someone has wonderful things to say about that dreadful (but gorgeous) weed but it will never be me.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree with pirl--I think it's very fair to share negatives about a plant. I think that's much better than blindly encouraging someone to plant something that could turn out to be a headache later just because they think the flowers are pretty. If they know ahead of time that it can cause problems, then they can make an educated choice whether that sort of plant would work in their garden or if they'd prefer to look for something a little better behaved. Ultimately everyone still makes their own choice on whether to plant something or not so it's not like you're taking away people's ability to grow things they really love.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I grew them in pots, and pulled them inside to overwinter, because they would have perished outside. I found them delightful, but that's probably because it was too cold for them to take over!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I grew them for a few years and they came back every year until a bush got too big and blocked out the sunlight. I had no problems with it.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Yes They do like abot 6 hours of Sunlight
in very dark settings they do not look as healthy and as a matter of fact get quite spindly with much small er flowers and less of them..
Didn't mean to get under anyone's skin with the last comment in my last post...but it is true.
Anyway...I do appreciate the feedback on performance in upper zones from me, I have a few friends that wanted some & I didn't want to send them something really difficult to keep in their situations.

May All Your Weeds Be WildFlowers,
Victoria & EarthSource Services

Suwanee, GA

obliqua is right. There is no chance in making it through the winter. Mexican Petunias will act like a annual. Not to be invasive with the above disagreements.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Well Either way I have sent them instructions on how easily they root, they can grow cuttings in their window as I do each winter...LOL...all of mine were green until the temps reached abou 19 degreesF for a couple of nights and still I had a entire line next to the house that are still green and about 8 inches tall...:O) Tall as my cuttings no that they have grown for 6 months. Anyway thanks for all the input, I am going to leave this open for a few more comments before I close. In case there are any zone 5'ers with other experiences :O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.