Cosmos atrosanguineus (chocolate cosmea)

Noordwijk, Netherlands

Is it possible to take cuttings from this chocolate cosmos. Has anyone done this before? What were the results?

Noordwijk, Netherlands

Here with a picture of the chocolate cosmea

Thumbnail by Thalictrum
Tuckahoe, NY

All the ones in cultivation are of the same clone (I think they are tissue cultured), so cuttings should work. it also makes a tuberous root that could be lifted and potted up for the winter. Not easy to grow in NY, it dislikes too much rain, heat, and is prone to mildew on the leaves. Rumors of a seed grown form in New Zealand exist, but I have never seen such over here--the clone we have is self sterile, and the species is either very rare or extinct in the wild (Mexico).

Noordwijk, Netherlands

Hallo
Thank you for your reply. My cuttings did not make it. They whittered away. The plant sits in my greenhouse, but does not look too well either. Hope it will make it through THE winter.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I would love to locate some viable seeds of this plant, not the sterile clone. I have those and need to baby them, as well they are sparse in bloom.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You will have more success with finding and growing the tuber/bulb than seeds.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012 1:58 PM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

As I mentioned, I do have the tuber. Have you found that the seeds are viable? Well, I can try them...I think they have been bred out so the seeds are not viable.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.