Couple of wild orchid pictures

Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Someone mentioned orchids on another forum, made me recall this one I found growing wild last year.
Pyramidal Orchid, Anacamptis pyramidalis, just thought I'd share it on the Orchid forum.

Dave

Thumbnail by DMersh

This shows the pyramid shape well, these were growing on almost bare chalk in a disused quarry.

Thumbnail by DMersh
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Outstanding, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you, Dave! Those are beautiful!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

In a quarry? Ya never know. Thanx for sharing

Yes, I was actually trespassing in there but the place is utterly deserted, chalk is quite slow to be revegetated, think thats why the orchids were there, they'd get crowded out by taller growth in most other places round here.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Stunning. I've never seen Anacamptis. Did you recognize any other flora at the site? I'd be interested in knowing what else they grow with.

General view of the quarry, much of it is flooded very deep.
Anacamptis was the only orchid growing there, other vegetation was obviously restricted to plants that do well on lime rich soil. Other vegetation included Centaury, Hawkweed, Buddleja, Vipers Bugloss, Privet, Hawthorn, Birch
Red Valerian:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/315464/
Marjoram:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/315468/
Perforate St Johns Wort:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/285928/
Scarlet Pimpernel:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/285925/

This message was edited Nov 21, 2011 1:24 PM

Thumbnail by DMersh

Vipers Bugloss, vegetation was quite sparse in places.

Thumbnail by DMersh

Hawkweed flowers:

Thumbnail by DMersh

Another shot of Anacamptis

Thumbnail by DMersh

It is Thanksgiving here tomorrow. We've been getting ready for a family and friend food fest. I'm taking a brief break between preparing the turkey for roasting tomorrow, making dressing for the bird, a cranberry compote, baking pumpkin and apple pies and making sherried mushroom gravy. SO smoked a beautiful wild salmon with hickory wood from our country place. Your photos from a different place are so welcome, Dave. I realized, while looking at maps, I had been in and around that spot years ago. I envision some of history's greatest botanists hiking and collecting there.

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving, not many people go to that spot as its all fenced off, the water is very deep (120ft). I think thats why the Orchids did well there, theres no people to disturb them.

So, Dave, can you share how you got into this fenced off spot? :>) I hear what you are saying about the orchids not being disturbed. We have a property that used to host a wide variety of native orchids but are finding the population decreasing for a different reason. Though we have tried to steward the property to increase the orchid population the increasing deer population is decimating our wild orchids. It seems they are fond of all types of orchids though we still have large populations of cranesfly orchids.

I crawled through a hole in the 6ft fence, then down a very steep bank covered in thorn bushes, not an easy spot to access! I was mainly drawn to take some pictures of the deep blue lake, which is quite unlike any natural lake in this region, they tend to be murky water. Shame your deer are devouring orchids, they can be a real pest to gardens.
See what I mean about the blue water:

Thumbnail by DMersh

Yes it looks like the Caribbean. You do live on the wild side as well as stay up late. :>)

I'd rather have venison in the freezer than the garden. We have herds of up to a dozen that wander our property. It's because we have woods, a small pasture and a pond that's about 4,000 square meters. Then there is the garden. Perfect habitat. Even with five foot fences they get into the garden. They've eaten most of the kale, carrots, peas and cauliflower. They don't seem fond of turnips, rutabagas or arugula though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.