BIG BEEF AND ME!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Well it isn't like it used to be two years ago but I'm still a farmer. Three EBs and six Big Beef is about my max for performance and even at that I could not put down my weedcloth. My eight year old grandson did that for me.

Thumbnail by Tplant
San Diego, CA

It must feel good to be a farmer. And my 7 year old daughter loves to help in the garden too.

It sure is nice to sit out there where it is so peaceful dreamjourney but the best part is when the tomatos are ripe and I enjoy a great salad and many more recipes. I just like to sit there and relax.

Thumbnail by Tplant

My first flower so next week there should be a tiny tomato. This is a good close-up so you can see that this should be a good if not great season.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Well, that is it for today. It feels real good to get back out there again although I am severely limited in my work because of my health. Can't bend over because I feel faint, can't lift more than twenty pounds because of my shoulder replacement surgery and my legs barely hold me now because of post polio syndrome but my grandson is always there for me and he will not let me do anything that I'm not supposed to do..LOL

Thumbnail by Tplant
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Looks cozy. I am always happiest sitting in a producing garden.
I tried the Earthbox with my tomatoes and it was ok but I think I watered them just as much in the EBs and I did in regular pots by the time they were mature overgrown plants.

Pros and cons about EBs. Personally I enjoy them . No weeding is important to me as I am seriously disabled now and that is why I cut back from 19 EBs to only three and my grandson now does most the work. Tomatos do drink a lot of water.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I am sorry you are disabled now. I like container gardening too===no weeding. My grandfather didn't garden much this year. I bought him an EB but he did not water it. By the time I realized he wasn't taking care of it, it was too late to revive it. Now he wants to try the topsy turvy.......I always said those things were a sin but I guess I shouldn't knock it until I try it.==or not. oh well.
I like the EBs better than the thought of a topsy turvy. I grow tomatoes in all sorts of manners around here. I really wish I could find someone how knew more about the Better Bush tomato plant production. I been searching everywhere for that info.

Happy GArdening......take it easy.

I grew the Better Bush but the taste and texture was soso. I am now growing BIG BEEF and am happy with them.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I think I am going to grow 50 Big Beef in hanging 5 gallon pots this year to give my growbeds a rest. But not an upside down trunk base.. I have grown tomato plants in 5 gallon pots for many years but never hung them up and let them drape over and hang down. But I had another thought to that.....when the plant falls over to hand down, the plant will be mostly on one side of the pot.....so maybe I should put two plants in the bucket and make sure they fall on both sides to make it equal weight. just a thought=====what do you think? Yes=I have a great support system that will handle the weight.

Big Beef are large and heavy tomatos and also indeterminate which means large vines. However I think the vines may snap with the weight of the tomatos plus any external pressure such as strong wind and heavy rain. I staked mine but they still fell over from the weight so I don't think it possible to hang in pots.???

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice tomatoes. Glad to see you still can. Hang in there, man.

My tomatos are finished so I'm trying to clean up and refresh everything includeing myself for watermelon. I must admit I do grow beauties in my EBs with very little care. I will be planting Crimson Sweet or Mickeylee. Can't make up my mind?

This message was edited Feb 25, 2012 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by Tplant
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

You're going to grow watermelons in your EBs? I had thought about mini melons cause I wasn't sure if the big ones would grow in the EB. I thought maybe a 50 gallon drum for my Carolina Cross.
Crimson Sweet is a good melon. I don't know anything about Mickeylee

Yep! I now have only three EBs as I am taking it easy. I have been very successful growing all sorts of melons in my EBs. I direct seed and plant three to each EB giving me 9 plants.
Mickeylee is a 15 to 20lb melon of light green color and great taste however I will grow only one varitiey this time and that will be the big Crimson Sweet. I will probably be showing pictures on the Vegetable forum as I understand it to be considered a vegetable and not labelsd as a fruit! Hope to see you there as I am starting tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Tplant Thumbnail by Tplant
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I will surely follow.

Do you have pics and advice from last year? that you could post also?

Raise the melons the same way as tomatos only use half the amount of fertilizer.The litght skinned melons are Mickeylee. Have fun.

Thumbnail by Tplant Thumbnail by Tplant Thumbnail by Tplant Thumbnail by Tplant Thumbnail by Tplant

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.