Yews are sick, maybe dying??

Bristol, RI

I have two large old yews, about 15-20 ft, which suddenly appear to be dying. Needles have yellowed and fallen off, since the spring, leaving little on the trees. They haven't had any extraordinary care, but also haven't had anything adverse happen to them recently. They are quite old, possibly around 100 years, so maybe they're just suffering from old age?
Before I call an arborist, thought I'd see if any of you have ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It won't be old age, yews aren't old until they're in their thousands.

Has anything affected their root zones in the preceeding few months before the needles started dying? Building work? Heavy machinery driving over the root zone? Soil removed, or added? Any abnormal drought or severe winter cold?

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Flooding?

Hurricane Irene kind of belted you all in CT this year.

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Flooding?

Hurricane Irene kind of belted you all in CT this year.

Not Irene, if they've been bad since the spring!

Resin

Bristol, RI

Thanks for the replies! No, no heavy machinery or droughts, and no flooding. Only other thing that comes to mind is the fact that azaleas are planted to the front and sides of these yews and last season (2010) I was particularly vigilant about fertilizing the azaleas with fertilizer for acid-loving plants. When I investigated problems with yews this year and learned that they perfer an alkaline soil, I applied lime around the base of each tree and out a few feet toward the drip line, trying to avoid the azaleas. I did this 1-2 months ago-- haven't seen any improvement yet, but it's probably too soon to expect much. What do you think? Could this be my problem?

Yews aren't fussed about soil pH, but they don't like root disturbance at all - digging the holes for the azaleas could well have contributed to the problem.

Resin

Bristol, RI

Thanks again for your input. The azaleas aren't a new addition, tho--they were transplanted there in 2006 and not much has disturbed the planting bed since then.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

thought old yews were in England , that the ones in the US didn't live as long ? could be mistaken . have seen
some pictures of 1,000 year old yews in England .

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

A strong possibility is Black Vine Weevil. Another consideration is Fletcher scale. But my money is on Black Vine Weevil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.