HERB COLD REMEDY

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

I HAVE FOUND THAT IF YOU TAKE 6 GARLIC CLOVES AND MINCE THEM UP VERY LITTLE ADD THEM TO 4 OZ. OF HONEY. LET IT SIT FOR 24 HOURS. STRAIN AND USE 1 TEASPOON EVERY 4 TO 6 HOURS FOR COUGH AND COLD IT WORKS GREAT IN CONTROLLING THE COUGH AND IT WILL BREAK UP THE CONGESTION. THE FUN IS TO CONVINCE THE KIDS TO TAKE IT. THE TASTE IS A LITTLE ROUGH.

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

My daughter has a habit of munching on little pieces of garlic, so this could be a good thing to try for her! Thanks for the recipe!

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Another Georgian! Hi jcf! :)

P2

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

The best cold/flue/sinus and other respiratory ailments cure I've found is:

1 part echinecea
1/2 part ephedra
1/2 part peppermint

Mix thoroughly. Pour 1 cup boiling water over 1 tbls herbs. Let steep at least 15 minutes.

Adult dosage is up to five cups daily, drunk hot, cold, or tepid as desired.

Start taking this when you feel those early indicators, and chances are the cold/sinus infection won't even get to bloom fully.

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Nothing beats Goldenseal for most types of congestion / mucus build up .......ahhhhhh the lovely yellowroot :)

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Goldenseal is fast becoming an endangered species, Chooch, and I'm not comfortable contributing to its demise. And, unfortunately, the domesticated roots don't have near the strength of the wild ones.

Best thing I know to cut mucus is Bitterroot----if you can stand the taste.

Demise ??? I have propagated way more than I have ever utilized for medicinal puposes . I grow Goldenseal and so do many other producers in this area . It is not endangered in my area so I will continue to utilize WHAT little bit I need for tincture producing purposes . I encourage all individuals (that are able ) to propagate this plant so that it flourishes once more . Do what you like there Brook , I will follow my own chosen path after reading all available data ( which I had already done years ago ) . Rock On !!

Salina, UT(Zone 4a)

Hey, I was reading somewhere that there is a viable replacement for goldenseal, does anyone know what it is?

Lyles, TN

Chooch is right on about Goldenseal! It is very effective against sore throat, etc. and it is a long way from being scarce.I know, I have large patches of it......Ivey (ps I never have a sore throat long.)

Right On Ivey !!!!! IT IS GREAT STUFF !!! If people are TRULY concerned about hydrastis being endangered , then they should not just talk about it , plant the darn stuff and be proactive :)Propagation IS Conservation !!! Rock On !!

Lyles, TN

Chooch: I'm gonna write that down somewhere....."Propagation Is Conservation" I like it!

Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

I just want to add my two cents here. First of all make sure to refrigerate the garlic and honey, it has been none to develop botulism setting at room temperature. And make sure you don't have a heart condition when taking your ephedra! Or high blood pressure, diabetes, glaucoma, hyperthroidism, anorexia or if you are taking asthma meds.(MAO-inhibitors, theophylline). Also don't take if pregnant.

Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

I forgot to mention, don't forget the all time favorite herbs for colds and flu! Horehound, Hyssop, Violet, Thyme, Angelica, and Elecampane also known as wild sunflower or elfwort. I also have a recipe to make horehound candy if anyone would like it. Oh yes! To add to that list- vitamin C! Kiwi, Kale, oranges and on and on.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I'd love the hoarhound candy recipe, Zabrina. Either post it here, or send it to me at: BrookBarb@juno.com.

Thanks.

Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

Here's the horehound candy recipe: Make a strong tea of the horehound leaves and flowers. Add one cup tea to 3 3/4 cups sugar, and 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup. Mix in a large saucepan, and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring until temperature reaches 310 degrees or drops of the syrup form hard, brittle threads in cold water. Remove from heat. Pour into ungreased molds or on lightly greased cookie sheet. Cool; unmold or break into pieces. It can be dusted with powdered sugar if sticky and stored in airtight containers. This makes a little over two pounds.

I have not had a cold in 5 years. do not get me wrong I have had them start quite a few times and the garlic has stopped it in its tracks. But i must start using garlic as soon as I have a cold symptom. If I wait too long it will not work. Is what I do is just use fresh garlic. I take and grind up about 2 to 3 large cloves and eat this when I feel the symptoms comming on. I repeat this at least 2 to 3 times a day for 3 days or so and it is gone. Its funny cause the cold does not get any worse and in 3 days it is gone. I have done this many many times. The key is to get the garlic down as soon as possible. I allways eat and drink something with the garlic cause it is not good for your stomach when it is empty. If anyone has any questions feel free to e-mail me. Good luck Lance

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 11th 4:53 PM

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Lance! I definitely agree with you about the garlic. I believe it definitely stimulates the immune system. How I love the stuff!

I see that you're new here, Lance. I'd just like to say welcome to DG! Soon, you'll become just as addicted to this place as I have. LOL There really are a lot of nice folks here and I'm so glad you found us. :)

Terri

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

COOCH, CUSSING IS NOT NECESSARY, IS IT?

What the heck are you babbling about JCF ?? Cussing ??? You are joshing me , no ??? You no likey the Rock n Roll ??? well me no likey the country tunes :) ROCK ON !!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I think maybe the word daRn looked like something else. Sometimes when you type an 'r' & an 'n' together the two words look like an 'n' rather than an 'Rn' like when I type the word tornado. Someone once took it for 'tomato. I dont know where I going with this let me just shut up! :-) Lisa

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

COOCH I APOLOGIZE, I DID SEE d a m NOT d a r n, justmeLisa WAS RIGHT. SOMETIMES THESE OLD EYES CAN PLAY TRICKS.
I WILL ADMIT I WAS WRONG.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

jcf..thank you! I was so scared to post my posting! I didn't want to get 'chewed up'.! It is strange that the r & n just run together. but I just had to post that info. just in case..that was what happened!WHEW! :-) Lisa

No problem JCF ...I have the odd " bad eye day " too :) Keep on taking / growing those herbs . Rock On !!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Chooch, you are sooo funny! :0) Lisa

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Found this on the back page and thought it cute and apropriate for the season.
Vickie

Ann Arbor, MI

rock on!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.