Frogs in my composter

Bonita Springs, FL

I have been using a Worm Farm compost system for 2 years, and have been very satisfied. It is located in our screened pool area in SW Florida. Lately, every time I lift the lid to add more food or fiber at I find at least one or two tiny frogs (about 1 inch) in the top bin. I have relocated many of them, but they continue to appear. My concern is that they may be eating the smaller worms, although the worm population in general is thriving and multiplying. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Helena, MT

elaine, keep the frogs...they are becoming an endangered species, and yes they are probably feeding on some of your worms. I use to collect small cricket frogs, and they loved the small red worms. However, the males would start chirping at night and drove the wife crazy. If yours are those little green frogs with splayed feet which allows them to climb trees and the side of your house, I would definitely let them inhabit your compost bin. They would also hold down the insect population as well. Wish I had some...

Bonita Springs, FL

Thanks, mraider. The frogs in the bins are not tree frogs (which we also have in abundance) but are dark colored, almost black, and are frequently found in my potting area oudoors. I don't mind them, so I'll take your advice and share some worms with them.

Helena, MT

Maybe sand toads...They get no larger than maybe and inch in length and seem to crop up from nowhere. Either way consider them good fortune. There numbers like bees are diminishing at an alarming rate.

noonamah, Australia

If you've got frogs in your compost bin then you must have a very healthy environment in there.

Bonita Springs, FL

Thanks for the comment,tropic breeze. I'm happy to hear that frogs are a good sign, since they seem to be here to stay.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Frogs are sweet aren't they!

Bonita Springs, FL

Yes, after an absence for a few days they have returned. I have more than enough worms, so I don't mind sharing a few.

Helena, MT

239elaine...now you owe us a picture of your frog collection. Si vous plait! (Can't spell any better in French than English)

/( *~* )/
“RIBBIT”

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 1:59 PM

Bonita Springs, FL

Sorry for the long delay in replying. For some reason I just now saw your request for a photo. Unfortunately the little critters are so fast that I can't get a picture. If they slow down, or I speed up, I'll be glad to oblige.

Helena, MT

Funny thing Elaine I just came across a thread in another vermicompost forum where someone was worried about little lizards in there compost bin. I'd be happy with a toad...or two!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.