New here

Roseburg, OR(Zone 9a)

Greetings! I am new here... I have been vermicomposting for about a month now. I have a cat litter bucket with mostly wet cardboard, with a layer of "good stuff" made up of mostly cabbage, lettuce grated carrot, and a few other salad leftovers. I made the mistake of starting out with mostly coffee grounds, and left the bucket uncovered overnight. I ended up with the 10 worms I have left. No worries.. the new bucket seems to be working, and they will eventually multiply.

Just a quick hello

BearDrummer

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

welcome beardrumer!!!
sigh on the worm loss..yea..to much coffee.. mmm.not so with me.. cant drink
enough..LOL
i have 4 bins going.. there are some great people here.. many with a TON of experience,thoughts,
and passion to explore new ways/ideas.. i glean alot from posters here..
good luck to ya..and enjoy the castings in your gardening..we all do..

Helena, MT

BearDrummer, the vermiculture forum is just several years into its postings, but as tropicalnut 777 says, there is a ton of information based on personal experience, which you typically don't find in books on the subject. When I started my operation in the 60's, I read what was available at the time. I also visited several places which grew worms commercially to find out how they operated. Although the DG vermiculture form has been evolving, I would suggest you spend some time reviewing previous postings. Its easy to down load information and make copies of material which you find helpful. I have expanded my vermiculture files considerably from information here in DG over the past couple of years, and there is always something new to be learned.

As to the coffee grounds, there is quite a bit of information on the subject here. I add coffee ground to my bins when feeding the worms. However, I don't believe coffee grounds have any nutritional value as far as the worms are concerned. I use my spent media (peat moss) for germination and potting mixes, and that is where the coffee grounds have their greatest benefit...in my opinion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.