ID'S Please

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

All but one of these episcias are from Optimara but they didn't come with names. Can anyone who knows their stuff tell me the proper names?

Thumbnail by ghopper
Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

second one

Thumbnail by ghopper
Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

third
not a very helpful picture, best I could get

Thumbnail by ghopper
Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

number four
Just couldn't get the light right on this one

Thumbnail by ghopper
Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

and finally number five
This one has been near death a couple of times but is coming along pretty well now.

Thumbnail by ghopper
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

ghopper,
It is nearly impossible to positively identify most of them,because there are so many.This may help you a little.
http://www.streptocarpus-info.com/Episcia/index.html

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree with Lynn!

To make matters even harder, they change leaf pattern and color with different growing conditions...

The first one reminds me of 'Faded Jade'. However, there are about a bazillion green leaved, red/orange flowered Episcias...

Olaf

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

I checked out the link, Lynn. OMG! I had no idea there were so many! Is it selfish to want them all? Guess I'll be happy with my unnamed ones for now. Can you answer a couple of questions, though? How do I know when to repot? The leaves seem to break so easily, are they difficult to handle when repotting? I've been treating them about like AV's. Anything else I should be doing to keep them going?
Thanks.

LOL,there are many more than that! Wanting them all just makes you a member of our addiction group.Welcome ^_^.
As for repotting,just whenever they get root bound or raggedy looking and need to be cut back.They are easier to handle when they are repotted dry,so the leaves are a little less stiff.If the leaves are brittle,they may need more humidity.There are some,mostly the light colored ones with a lot of pink in the leaves,that require higher humidity or even a dome or terrarium,especially in the winter months when the furnace is running.Or you can wrap your light stand with a clear shower curtain,if you have lots of them.
They are super easy to start from stolons and root quickly.They can be started from leaf,but it's a slow process.Keep most of the stolons pinched off until the leaves are the size you want them.
Hope this helps.
Lynn

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Yes indeed, your advice does help. I'll pinch some stolens right away as one is getting quite leggy. Should they wait till March or so to be transplanted? Or could I do it any time? They aren't under a light stand, right now they are in an East window in a coolish room. I'm thinking of moving them back to a West window behind some taller things so they get a bit more light. That humidity thing could be a problem. Better give this some thought before buying any more. Too many plants, not enough house!

Well,everyone does things differently.I would go ahead and move them to the brightest spot you have.Winter sun in the North should be okay,but keep them a little ways back from icy cold windows.If you pinched some stolons,go ahead and root them in damp,not wet,mix,and cover them with plastic or put them in a baggie until rooted.
Since you don't grow under lights,it might be better to wait and transplant when warmer,but you may not have that choice if the stems are getting woody.Humidity is very important! Also,if they are in a coolish room and not covered,go easy on water,letting them dry slightly before watering.

I want to add that right now your plants look fine.They don't seem to be lacking humidity.Rooms like the kitchen and bathroom are more humid if you have good light there.

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

It was summertime when I took those pictures but they still look pretty good. It's the first one that has gone leggy. I did notice that numbers 4 and 5 are the same plant. That was the sickly one. It's grown all to one side. When it grows some stolons I'll try to fill in the pot some. It looks so lonesome alone in the pot now. No useable windows in the bathroom or kitchen and the South windows in the LR are filled with succlents and hibiscus. Maybe a pebble tray will be in order. The cat likes to drink the water, always something!
Are there places you like to order episcias from? I see lots of pictures but not so many mail-order places.
Tell me why they should be transplanted if the stems are woody. Haven't checked yet, just wondering.
Thanks for sharing, experience trumps books anytime.

Columbus, OH

There are a couple of good ebay sellers, and Rob's Violet Barn, Lyndon Lyon, Out of Africa, Dave's Violets. When it warms up, you may well find some through trading :)

I agree with Celene.
You don't have to transplant if the stems are woody,but sometimes the plant starts looking ratty and those stems can be cut back and the tops rerooted.Sometimes new growth will come up from the roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.