The Deer have found my garden 2

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This is a followup to my other photo posted a year ago. The tomatos got frozen & pulled out last week, you can see them on the ground. I need to reapply deer repellent to the fruit trees behind them. I walked up fairly close to them to take this photo.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This is the photo I took through the kitchen window before going outside and taking the other photo. I think I should call it " The Deer are Pointedly Ignoring my Dog". The smaller deer closer to the fence was a fawn this spring and the dog was a pup this spring - so this is a case of familiarity breeds contempt. It came up to the fence either looking for the dog or looking for tomatos - probably tomatos.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

If you can get that close, then a deer tag and a cheap hunting bow would stock the freezer and relieve some of the aggravation they have caused over the year. I have heard that once dear find a good food source, (Our garden!) they will keep coming back like some bad horror flik.

Sonny

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I've also heard that deer usually live out their lives and die within a mile of where they were born. I think the stork may have left this one under my tomato plants. Seriously - I never saw the fawn when it was small, but the doe seemed to spend most nights and a lot of days in my yard. And obviously the dog and young deer know each other. You may be right - I think the fawn's home is my back yard and it isn't going anywhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.