Morning Glories 2011 #19

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225213

Little Pink Sun Smiles from Summer 2010

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

That is one of my favorite morning glorys, the sunsmiles. Your Pink is beautiful.
Good MOrning!

Gautier, MS

Pretty Jackie. I grew sunsmiles a few years ago too.

From old seed of what was supposed to be Plum Surprise. A neat reaction to the cold, perhaps.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Debra and Helena. The same yr I grew the pink I grew a purple one and it was in a larger pot. The blooms got to over 4 inches across. Amazing. I may have a pic but I had trouble getting a nice picture as I recall.
I love the color on your bloom Helena. Its all the wonderful morphing these mg's do that intrigues me. My
favorite thing about MG's.

Debra, I still have a seed or two marked Good Morning Violet or GM Pink. My lovely Cameo Elegance/MIni Bar Rose/Sunsmiles Rose I grew this summer came from your sds, thanks for sharing with me,.

Here was my foliage on the purple in 2010

Thumbnail by patootie

Here with a few blooms.

Thumbnail by patootie

just so pretty! I love looking at morning glorys, don't you? Helena there is a purple rayed still trying to make a go of it from you..
there is another one tied into the summer squash and lav moon vine outside, still going.. will have to cover them wenesday .. squashes are too plentifl out there to let them freeze and you know I can't let those blooming mgs freeze yet..

Gautier, MS

That's good to hear Debra. I'm going to grow a few of those this coming year for sure!

No heat in the gh last night and look how this one bloomed!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

And then this one! Guess theycan take some cold.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Debra yes I love to look at MG pics. I don't care how old they are either, :-)

That 1st one is a knock-out Helena, a favorite of mine now.

mine too! i have that one, must be from you , helena..
very hard to take pics of these in the basement

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Zone 7a)

What a great blue, Debra - that, combined with the haze gave an overall effect of underwater to me - seems like you should have a mermaid and davy jones locker in the composition.

beautiful blooms, everyone

A lovely blue Debra.

Rosy Red Picotee, a different look.

Thumbnail by patootie

I love indica with its new and aged bloom.

Thumbnail by patootie

My nana Pomegranates started from seed. Not enough sun so the one on the right is leaning. I think
those are baby fruits you're seeing as they are firm to the touch.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Zone 7a)

Patootie, how did you germinate your pomegranate?

That is so exciting to be able to grow that. Evidently, it is said to be a good plant for hot, dry places; capable of living for hundreds of years; excellent health properties; and grew in the ancient hanging gardens of Babylon (see http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/SeedlistPI-PZ.htm ) To look this plant up for more info, searth for Punica granatum var Nana . I think the Nana is part of the scientific name, and strongly suspect that if a parent is truly the dwarf form, that offspring will be dwarf, too. But I ain't certain.

I am working on envies for some folks - does anyone want any standard sized promegranate seeds? Lazlo was extremely generous with some trades a couple of years ago, and I have enough to share - don't know how long these are viable, however. I can add these to existing envies I'm already working on, and anyone else interested could send me a bubble SASE - these are large seeds and will need protection against getting crushed in the mail.

none of my Nana germinated, how exciting for you Jackie!

Thumbnail by joeswife

we are just blooming away down here in the basement garden..such a loverly sight after a hard day at work..supposed to get really windy and drop in temps tomorrow... with a low of 27 thursday morning..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I love the pink/red picotee.. they are so cheerful..

I also love whites, did I mention that?

Thumbnail by joeswife

look at this silly flower

Thumbnail by joeswife

I have yet to see my i indica bloom.. but here is hoping.. meanwhile.. I can gaze here and downstairs both.

Thumbnail by joeswife

we are still in a drought.. I have been storing gray water for the plants downstairs, it sure keeps the bugs at bay!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Karen, back in July or so, I started two sds, one each in the 8 oz foam cups. I just barely covered them and watered the sds in good.They both came up and the only thing I did wrong was leave them in the small cup too long. So they're probably stunted. My sds came from Parks
under the name Alhambra Pomegranate or something similar. I think it's pretty much the same as dwarf nana. I just think they're attractive. I read somewhere it could be a 5 foot shrub in the ground, smaller in a pot. Mine
blooming it's head off so it obviously wont take 5 yrs to make fruit like a lot of fruiting plants.This dwarf plant just as hardy as the large tree.
Karen if I can find my sds, would you like for me to send you a few of my sds to try?
Thanks Debra, I can send you some dwarf sds too, just let me know.

Edited to change an to a

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 12:34 AM

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 12:47 PM

gosh, are the hardy in my zone? LOL all I need is to have another plant to bring in...now I am not saying I wouldn't.. afterall, I did bring the backyard in to the basement, think..

Thumbnail by joeswife

just saying.. LOL this is just one lil spot..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, love you're pretty yellow mg bloom.
I'm not sure if pomegranates are hardy in zone 6 but the nana, dwarf, doesn't mind being grown in a pot.
You could try one in the ground and mulch it well, 2 inch layer of newspapers and a foot of mulch, ;-)

Fuji Kawata was a pretty M Glory.I hope it makes lots of sds..

Thumbnail by patootie
(Zone 7a)

Jackie - thank you for the offer of your pomegranate, but I hate to waste seed, so I'm going to try and germinate what I have of a dwf pomegranate. I'll try Jackie's technique, plus Starlight1153 (Ella) shared another one that works for her for seed of shrubs and trees - sometimes, repeated washing and cleansing of these seeds is recommended, like you could get from a creek. To simulate the creek, Star ties her seeds into the toe of a panty hose and hangs it inside her toilet (minus that cleaning/deoderizing tab some use in the tank). After a few days of flushing, she says her seeds germinate nicely. lololol well I haven't tried it yet, but plan to - I very much want to germinate Prunus mume for its winter fragrance and its history in Edo/modern Japan.

Jackie & Debra, I really appreciate you two sharing your indoor flowers and gardens. If I can ever get mine off the middle of the kitchen floor and into their winter crannies, I'll send some pics too.

that kawata is lovely!
Karen, can't wait to see your blooms!

Gautier, MS

Lot's of pretty blooms Debra and Jackie.

It's a bit warmer today and I have purpurea bloom.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Debra and Helena. Love your pretty purp bloom Helena.

You're welcome Karen. Just keep trying, they'll germinate sooner or later. Just plant 'em
and forget 'em is probably the best thing to do. :-)

Thumbnail by patootie

A few new blooms today. Pres Bush shown here and the no Momo above

Looking forward to your bloooms Karen, something different.for us to enjoy.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Love the pink color of your no Mono Jackie. Your Pres. Bush is nice too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Helena. Nice bloom you have there.

Thumbnail by patootie

beautiful white bloom Helena, and Jackie I love that no MOMO ..
well it finally froze to 23 here last night.. can I *whine*???

Thanks Debra. I'll save you a few sds from no Momo if I get sds. Its a beautiful light shade of pink
I could have had sds early on if the vine had kept growing instead of making all those white, almost albino lvs.

My no Sora was the most impressive of all with near white lvs and gorgeous blooms. I may have gathered just a few sds from the no Sora.

Thumbnail by patootie
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Loving all the fall colors–especially the blues, as usual, (Jackie & Debra) and deep purple (Helena)!

We had a freakishly devastating hail storm exactly 2 weeks ago, and my plants are looking worse than the sorry shape they were already in. But, we haven't had a frost yet, so growing is continuing... for now.

-Nick

(Zone 7a)

quoting Debra - "- well it finally froze to 23 here last night.. can I *whine*???" ( http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8877168 )

Yea! A whinefest :) Whine on, MacDebra, and White Flies smite he who glorifies the 'brittle violin of frost.'

(The above mangles Shakespeare ( http://listverse.com/2008/09/15/top-10-shakespeare-misquotes/ ) and quotes Vita Sackville-West's poem, The Garden)

looking forward to more whining from others :)

karen lolol

I will even bring lots of cheese with the whine.. LOL

hi Nick! gee that no sora is beautiful, Jackie!

(Zone 7a)

Debra - cheese with whine would be lovely; I'll have to pry my OCD mouse from Dany's thread for a taste - Jackie's white no sora leaves can be our candlelight :) We'll sprinkle Nick's adjectives like freakish and devastating into the shadows for color of mood.

Dany was doing some magnificent whining toward the end of his last thread - Dany, where R U? We'd love to have you at our whine-fest.

-----------------
Google/Scholar let me read part of the Winter section of Sackville-West's poem, The Garden. Only one flower was mentioned in the limited excerpts: the morning glory -

"If all were staringly made manifest,
The mystery and the elusive quest,
Then less than ever should we be content.

The Morning Glory climbs toward the sun,
As we by nature sadly born to strive
And our unending race of search to run,
Forever started, never to be won,
-- and might be disappointed to arrive."

As a gardener, and admirer of gems from this poem, like "brittle violin of frost", I find her poem very intriguing. With enough whine and cheese, I'm sure it'll mutate from a cerebral experience to slurp and fleurs.
-----------------

Might anyone else know of any other poetry with morning glories in it?

Oh I don't want to even get started re the whiteflies. Devastating all my soft leaved plants in the g house.

Thanks Debra.

Glad you're still getting blooms Nick. .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.