Brrrr- Winter is knocking at the door

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

New Thread: We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1213047/#new

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

It's 33 degrees outside and only expected to to reach 52 degrees today. I'm so not ready for winter!~!! Hope you all have a nice weekend. Lurker Lou

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lou for giving us a new place to write.

We had a really heavy frost, but the sun is out and it doesn't seem bad out there at all. I am inside trying to do some cleaning from the dust that was created by the bathroom redo. Haven't dusted anything that can't be closed away by doors yet, am afraid that if I do it, will just have to do it again.

Columbus, OH

It's cold here. I'm pouring candles and fiddling with plants. I bought a 20L aquarium at a yard sale, it'll be full of sinningia and episcia by tomorrow.

Barberton, OH

1st frost last night. Worked with the garden club putting the Peace Garden to bed. Picked some Hydrangeas to dry.
Picked the last Iris blooms before the frost.

Thumbnail by salix_man

marking my place.
off to a costum party

Waddy, KY

Cold out there this morning. Looked like a young snow. Market wasn't too bad with long johns and 4-5 layers of clothes. As long as you stood in the sun you were pretty warm. Trying to skin a few late tomatoes before they totally go bad.

Bonnie, I'm supposed to have 2 more bids coming in. I might give that fellow a call. I haven't gotten anyone from Shelbyville yet. I just hope we have enough money to do this. I hate the thought of putting this off one more year.....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Lou!

We actually had some ice on the water on top of the trash cans...brrrr.....
Hit 56° and Sunny by 4PM

Got the biggest banana plant caged up and insulated.
Two years now in this spot. The purple flowers are Nicotiana which always stage a big comeback every Fall.

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, my white nicotina is blooming like crazy. Noticed it today, and it doesn't look like the frost did any damage to them.

Yep, we had a hard frost. Looked like a layer of snow on the ground when I went to get the paper. I have one daylily, can't remember the name right off, but it has bloomed almost non stop all summer, and has more buds yet to open. This sure is a great performer. Another one has buds and I hope it has time to bloom before it dies back. Still need to dig and move that hibiscus, just have so much to do and so little time to do it.

Janet, how much longer for the markets? It was chilly this morning, and wondered if you were out there in it. The day turned out really nice, but I was tied up inside cooking. Got some apples cooked down and will finish turning them into apple butter maybe late tomorrow. Have pears that I need to do something with. We need to do lunch one day soon. Maybe the first part of November. After this week, I think I am good. Have an epidural scheduled for Monday, but after that, nothing on my calendar for a couple of weeks.

Marcy, how is it going besides being sore? I would think that drinking from a straw would be good exercise for those muscles, so keep trying. If nothing else, get a child's sippy cup, until you can figure out how to drink without that side leaking.

Celene, will you have any more shows to do before the holidays? Looks like your products would make good Christmas gifts.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Checking in for a howdy!

Things here are okay and about the same.

Carly's soccer team lost their tournament game and they are done for the season. Maddie's team won the first round and lost in the second round so they are also finished. Jazzi's team is still undefeated. They play today for 1st and 2nd place. Either way they are going to state tournaments which are the second and third weekend in November.

Carly got her cast off a week and a half ago and has been in a brace since. We go back to the Ortho Wednesday to see if she's cleared to run or not. She still has physical therapy this week and maybe next week. She only made it to 2 basketball practices since she's not allowed to run. She spent her time doing pushups and situps. She decided to go ahead and play basketball here. Hopefully we can get moved into Mt. Orab by the time basketball ends.

We still haven't heard anything from the county about getting help with the heat. Luckily it hasn't been too cold yet but we've had a few frosts. Last night the frost finally blackened the plants.

Here's a pic of Maddie, snapped by a friend. She's in yellow on the right.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Kristenne was not home for beggar's night. :( This was the first 'holiday' she has missed.

Carly kind of dressed up and walked around with friends but didn't ask for candy. LOL She came home with plenty anyway.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Somebody else refused to be in photos and kept running away!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, the ever elusive skunk!

Morganne went out and walked with some of her friends and took Nolan but he was being a little shy monster so she called me to come get him after about 25 minutes. LOL

Morganne takes her STNA the 2nd week of November, then she'll be certified for home care or nursing home care. Other than that, she only needs one English credit to graduate. She's thinking about finding a job and finishing that class online. The schools are being very unhelpful and uncooperative. She either has to sit at school all year long to take one class and several fluff classes which will allow her to go to homecoming and prom or she can do online and not graduate with her class which is ridiculous!

Kristenne got her temps yesterday! Now we have to figure out how to get her into driver's ed. She's still staying with Melissa during the week and depending on where she can take her driver's class, it's $250 and up. Ouch. Morganne never got her temps but she'll be able to get her's and get her license right away if she can pass the test since she's already 18.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We have four male kittens looking for homes.

Remember the consignment shop woman that ripped me off? Well, her daughter took a stray from us last year and brought it back this year. Guess they didn't have her fixed. So now we have four male kittens.

Nolan will be mad if someone takes his friends but quite frankly, I don't need 6 cats!! They are litter trained, nearly weaned and eating solid food.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

And finally, I saw these mummy cupcakes online and thought they were too funny. I ended up making close to four dozen and we're taking them to Jazzi's soccer game today.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Aren't they cute?!

Gotta hit the shower and head out to the game soon.

Hope you all are warm and safe!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Love the pictures!!! Thanks for posting and catching us all up on the family. I can't believe how big they are all getting. Nolan and the kittens is a precious picture. Have a good Sunday. Lou

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lou! Happy day to you too!

Heading out for Jazzi's game in a few.

Columbus, OH

Wow...homemade grape jelly is 100x better than storebought. I can't believe the difference!

Chelle all i can say is ROFLLLLLL.... Nolan sure is cute with all them kittys. My kids did the same thing when we had ours. GOod luck trying to get them homes.
Don't bother with an animal rescue , it will cost a fortune ! sad but true.
not much here
here is my costume.
Gypsy woman

Thumbnail by

Chele, thanks for giving us an update. So I am assuming that moving is in your near future? Loved Nolan's kitten transport! He is a cutie.

I don't see how you keep up with everybody's schedule, and make it there on time. I can't even do it for the two of us.

Not planning much for halloween. We are too far in the country to even worry about having trick or treaters. When we lived in town, loved to see all the little ones all dressed up. I do have candy if anyone happens by.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Nice costume Sue! Yeah, Nolan has a great time with the four kittens, 2 cats and a ferret in the house. He gets to have extra fun when the girls bring the rabbits in. He made that contraption himself. I guess he needs a new ride on toy with a wagon. LOL

Schedules, haha!

I have to drop Kristenne at school on Monday mornings and pick her up on Friday afternoons.

Jazzi has soccer Mon, Wednesday and games on Sat and Sun.

Carly now has basketball M-F. Morganne and Carly just finished volleyball which was Mon and Friday. Maddie just finished soccer which was Mon, Wed, Sat and Sun.

Now Carly has to go see the Orthopedic surgeon every other Wednesday and has physical therapy 2-3 days a week. Whew.

Jazzi's team won today. They are undefeated, 1st place in the league. Now we have 2 weeks until the first round of state tournaments and finals the weekend after.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Chele, you can't deny that Jazzi is your daughter. That smile is just yours!

Chelle i got confused half way through your explantion of what kid does what sport and who is with that sport ? LOL I m so ADD.
awww a ferret ! that would be cute indeed.
well its a weird weather day
tomorrow i start my vegetarian menu. I was planning a gluten free vegan menu for a 30 day trial to help lose some lbs and get some energy back in me. But honestly roots , nuts and leaves just doesn't seem to cut it with me LOL so its a vegetarian menu.
besides what would i do with all them eggs ???

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We do fine until seasons overlap!

Volleyball and soccer go at the same time. Volleyball ends before soccer. But then basketball starts before soccer ends. Thankfully I get a break between basketball and spring soccer which overlaps softball. LOL Then in the summer we finish softball and have open gyms for volleyball and basketball. I've been joking about buying an RV and living in the school parking lot!

A lot of doctor prescribed diets cut you down to 30 grams of fat per day. The flip side is a low carb diet. I find I do best if I just get rid of anything processed-peanut butter, salad dressing, cheese, mayo, etc. My problem is not so much what I eat as it is, I usually only eat once a day and it's usually around 8pm.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Reporting in from the westside. Looks like Neil has an iron deficiency anemia due to weight loss surgery. WOn't know for sure for another couple weeks, but I'm feeling better abt it. I take Ann back to the eye doctor tomorrow.
I am having such problems getting things done. Every day the list of things gets longer & longer, & I getting paralyzed by it. And puppy is a major, if adorable, distraction. She's so upset that the cats won't play with her. Maybe I should get the dog a dog, LOL.
OK, I'm going to get something accomplish, even if it's just one thing.
Pat

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Make little lists Pat! Cross them off as you go. It'll make you feel better then you'll want to do more. :)

LOL about getting a dog for the dog!

Take care of yourself while you are taking care of everyone else.

Well, a dog for a dog, and before you know it you are an animal hoarder. We will be able to see you on Animal Planet. Lists work for me, and you get to feel good about crossing something off your list.

I have come down with a cold/sinus infection, aka as ORVCRUD! Coughing, sneezing and all the stuff that goes with it. Forgot the name of the medicine that the slogan advertises, but wish I had some!

Haven't done much today, and don't plan to do much tomorrow. Shower is about finished, just some little tweaking things to get done tomorrow. If the windows come in, he will be installing them tomorrow also.

Columbus, OH

Defoecat, do you want my cold tea recipe? It works wonders. If you guys promise not to give me whatever plague you seem to be passing around. ;)

Sure, at this point if arsnic was prescribed, I probably would try it. Just miserable.

Columbus, OH

Cold Tea
1 thinly sliced lemon
2" of thinly sliced fresh ginger root (I use more)
10 black pepper corns (don't use ground pepper, it doesn't strain out well)
2 T. echinacea
2 T. whole cloves
1 T. licorice root
1 t. (more if you like) green cardamom pods
1 4" cinnamon stick
raw honey
additional lemon juice (optional)

Combine all in 4 cups of boiling water, and simmer very gently for 10-15 minutes. Strain out herbs, and drink with raw honey and additional lemon juice if desired. Some people like this tea better with some black tea leaves added for flavor. My niece likes to add hibiscus flowers, because she likes the pink color and taste. I drink at least one recipe per day when I'm sick.

I mix the dry ingredients together ahead of time in snack size ziplocks, so they're ready when I'm sick...all I have to do is add lemon, ginger, and honey.

Wow, hope that is effective, because I will have to make a trip to the health food store in order to have the ingredients to make it.

Thanks and I will go early in the morning, and hopefully have some by lunch time.

Waddy, KY

Sort of got snookered into going down to see Dad last night. Wasn't planning to since he was home but he called and asked me if I was and if I'd pick up his medicine so who was going to say no? Even if there were other people in the house doing absolutely nothing.... Therefore, I just got my canner of beans in the jars last night instead of it and the two batches of chow chow. At least DH and the kids got the bruised apples peeled and ready for the freezer. A few more things that won't rot....

Bonnie, the 2 Saturday markets will go year round. Lexington moves inside Victorian Square the first of December and the Douglass Loop inside the first of January. I'll obviously be the colder of the two!

Youngest DD got all the fabric mat pulled up and put away out of the garden last night. That was good. Now I won't be out there in the middle of nasty weather trying to get it done. Alls left in the garden now is the turnips, and greens. My brother planted some turnips and kale and they're the most beautiful stand you'd like to see. Mine's all too thick in drifts. I'll do better next year.

good morning
quick check in
have a wonderful day

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Just dropped Carly at school, after physical therapy. Tomorrow she goes back to the Ortho to see what he has to say. Luckily the first basketball game isn't until very late November/early December.

Taking Morganne to the doctor at 1pm for an ear infection.

Other than that, it's life as usual. LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, hope you are feeling better.

You had asked about us moving in the near future. If I don't get Carly moved before her freshman year, she'll be ineligible for sports for one year. If I don't get her moved before this school year ends, she'll miss all the open gyms and practices they have over the summer. Contrary to what is said, coaches already have their teams picked during that time and not at actual "try outs". Softball and spring soccer actually have signups in March and begin shortly after.

The number of available cheap/foreclosed houses is shrinking in that area. People are buying them up quickly.

I love this one with 40 acres but would probably sell off most of the acres. http://www.homepath.com/search.html?ms=&xs=&src_ref=&cno=015&pi=&mlsid=&bhi=&z=45154&pa=&st=OH&bdi=&ci=&listingid=30808774

This one is in a great location, less than three miles from the school, with two houses. One has solar heat. Both have gas! Unfortunately it's tied up with a realtor until January. The price has come way down but it hasn't sold. I talked to the owner and she can't really do anything with it while there is a real estate contract. http://www.trulia.com/property/3028150454-2793-New-Harmony-Shiloh-Rd-Mount-Orab-OH-45154

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Chele,
Do you have to sell the place you're in now to get into one of the others? I like the looks of the Pleasant Hill Road house, altho---- is there a kitchen? If "Finish to your liking" means there's no appliances or cabinets, then it's still overpriced, even with all the acreage. I just knew I should have bought the decaying mansion outside of Middletown last year! We could have split the manison for both families, plus there was that 2 family ranch house, plus barn, plus 2 garages...

Ladies, I have lists. Lots of lists. Yes, it feels good to cross things off. But I'm still seriously lagging behind on getting everything done, shall we say, in a timely manner. I did get the results of my neuro-psych testing back & I don't have Alzheimers-- for which I'm very grateful!-- but I do have some other attention problems, which I'll discuss later this week with my doctor.

Bonnie, I hope you feel better.

Celene, is there a holy bible of clicker training? So many puppy books, but we need a basic one. It's been a long time since we had a puppy, and I'd like to avoid some of the traps we fell into the last time.

OK, better get back to my list! Everybody take care!
Pat

Columbus, OH

Pat, if you email me at my work email, I will send you my recommended reading list. A good, inexpensive general puppy book is Sophia Yin's Perfect Puppy in 7 Days. You can download the book or purchase a paper copy, from www.askdryin.com. She has excellent training/behavior articles for free, too.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Pat, we would either have to sell this house or lease it out. We can actually just walk away since we are covered by the BK back in 2008 but we are trying not too. For what houses here rent for, we could actually make a little profit renting it out.

The house on Pleasant Hill has a renovation loan available, up to 35%/$35,000 based on the completed value. It last sold for $212,000 in 2004. It's actually listed for less than the bank 'paid'. From what I can tell, the last owners started remodeling it, then gave up, moved into an apartment down off Beechmont and let it go. I don't want or need 40 acres so most of that could be sold. It's in a great location about 3 miles from the school. It does have a small shed (not in great shape), a nice garage, a big 2 story barn and also a gravel pad next to the driveway which would work out really well for plant tables. :P

I hope you get your medical issues settled. Are you sure you aren't trying to take on too much? You have a lot responsibility and you run all over taking care of everyone else. LOL @ "getting back to your lists".

Hope you are feeling better Bonnie.

I took Morganne to the doctor yesterday. She has a double ear infection. He gave her a script, said if she wants to take it fine and if not fine. He said most of the research shows that most ear infections clear themselves if given a few days, then went on to discuss the drug resistance with a lot of infections nowadays. At least he gave us the prescription in case it does not clear on it's own.

Carly goes back to the Ortho today to find out if she's cleared to run/return to normal activity yet. The girls on her team are still little snots. Most of them begged her not to leave because they know they need her and a few just keep being their snitty selves like they were going to get her position anyway. Geeze. I wonder how long it will take for her to regret switching schools.

Guess I better get out of this damp robe and see about hitting the road!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, Carly is finished with the Orthopaedic doctor unless she has any other problems. She still has 2 days of physical therapy next week and she's cleared for regular activity as of the 14th. Just have to get her through 12 more days.

I'm so beat! I have run all day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.