Osprey season 2011. All three chicks are thriving.

PERTH, Australia

They're huge, aren't they. The nest is becoming a very busy place. Here is Big Hook and her kids looking at Dad who did a couple of fly-bys with a fish.

It's really hard to try to give them names. If one was standing and other two were lying down, there'd be no real idea of which one was standing. When they're all standing, as in this picture, the littlest, on the left, is easy to tell apart from the others. It's even more difficult to distinguish the size difference between the bigger two.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This was like watching a tennis match. View this one and the next one in quick succession and you'll see why.

There's Dad over there ...........

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

and now he's over there.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Melbourne, FL

Great seeing these three growing so well and still getting along. What a wonderful family!

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Great shots Margaret. Love the tennis match. Geez, those chicks are huge!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quote from MargaretK :

Here's a shot of the three musketeers from the day before yesterday. They were staring at something behind me. Big Hook continued to pull at a fish held in her talons.

Well, there are your chick names! Athos, Aramis and Porthos.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from Mrs_Ed :

Well, there are your chick names! Athos, Aramis and Porthos.

One vote yes from me. ^_^

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The names are fitting for such beautiful birds, but the three stooges names, Larry Curley & Mo might be easier to remember!! LOL!

PERTH, Australia

LOL, BeaHive

Just to show you how advanced the kids are along the road to fledging, here's the littlest one several inches above the nest floor yesterday. Don't worry, the other two are there, dozing in their mother's shade.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

The nest is becoming crowded.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Now, you tell me I don't NEED an 800mm lens. Denis put my camera onto his 800mm lens yesterday. Just imagine how good this would be for watching the eggs and the chicks when they're tiny. This is uncropped.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, I'd settle for any lens you no longer need. lol Those "little" chicks, are no longer little Whoa! Fledging around Christmas? What's a timing!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

oh yes, I DO think you need an 800 mm lens. they you won't need that 400 and can send it eastward.

PERTH, Australia

Just one lotto win, eh? Denis attached his 2x converter to his 800mm. The f-stop moves to f11, but can you imagine 1600mm? Sigh.

Funny thing about the smallest one lifting off the nest. Perhaps not as much mass to lift. I certainly do not have that problem!! Wonderful pictures Margaret regardless of the lens you are using.

Do you have a 500mm and a 400mm? If so, hook them together and you will have a 900mm. Problem solved! LOL
Perhaps some duct tape would keep them attached. Focusing could be a bugger, but I am sure you could figure it out.

PERTH, Australia

Brilliant idea, GG. Why didn't I think of doing that. Denis will be soooooo envious.

Thanks Margaret. Happy to be of assistance!

Sandusky, OH

Wow...the chicks are as big as the parents now! Good to see this what happened last season. Great shots Margaret!! 1600mm? Would love to see what one of those shots look like. lol I,m sure a nice bright day will produce some great results.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh that little one makes me nervous doing that, but I guess if it was to fall out, it might be able to fly? Is there anyway to tell by the markings (maybe not, since they look almost the same) what sex they are?

Just incredible pics, thanks so much. I really like getting my daily fix here....LOL

Jan

Norwalk, OH(Zone 5a)

Awesome new set of pics!!!!

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Just awsome...Love this

PERTH, Australia

Aren't they just the most gorgeous birds? I didn't get to the nest today, but will hopefully do so tomorrow and will start a new thread then.

Here's another from yesterday taken with the 800mm lens. Yes, Marna, it was very tempting.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Incredible shots Margaret! Just amazing has fast their growing up.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh I would just freak seeing those babies lift off like that!!

Wow.....shots with the 800mm are to die for!!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Like Nanny, I would have freaked to see that baby lift up. Margaret, you're not alone when you are wishing for a longer lens. Trouble is, when you get what you wished for, something better comes along and it starts all over. Your photos are each spectacular, so what I wish for is your "talent" and "knowledge of the camera"!

This message was edited Nov 15, 2011 6:11 PM

PERTH, Australia

They sure are growing fast, Pelle. There's a noticeable change from day to day.

Nanny and duc, it is a worry seeing them lift off, especially if they're close to the edge of the nest and the littlest is the one which hugs the edge during flight practice.

Duc, you're right about always wanting something more. It's the nature of the beast, I guess.

Here's a link to the new thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230396/

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 8:02 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.