Overwintering amaryllis

Jefferson City, MO(Zone 6a)

I could use someone's help and advise. I live in Missouri (zone 5/6) and I treat my amaryllis bulbs like caladiums. I plant them in the garden in spring, enjoy their spring blooms and summer greenery then dig the bulbs to store for winter. In winter, I store them in paper bags of peat in a cool but heated garage. This usually works well except last year some of the bulbs sprouted and bloomed in the bottom of the paper bag. Of course, they did not bloom in the garden in spring. Would anyone have any tips on how to prevent them from blooming in the bag so I can retain the blooms for the spring garden? One thing to add is that the garage houses my tropicals during the winter and there is some light but I can't imagine the light would be enough to penetrate the paper bag?? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Excess light had not been responsible for premature sprouting. It had been too much humidity AND / OR Temperatures being too high for longer periods. Perfect storage temperature is 55Fahrenheit. After a maximum of 3 months, generally earlier, the scapes will first poke out of the bulbs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.