Do I need to add artificial lights

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi I am relatively new to orchids. I currently have 9 plants and they are all in East facing windows.
So far they are all alive and growing new leaves but I am concerned that they are not getting enough light.
Even my African violets grow well but do not flower. My house has porches and overhangs so the light is not as strong as in a straight window.
I am thinking about adding grow lights. Is this a good idea? If so how strong should they be and how long should they be on.
I incandescent lights ok or should I spend the extra for LED

I currently have 4 Phalaenopsis, 2 Brassolaeliocattleya hybrids, 1 Phaius hybred and 2 DTPS hybreds
Thanks,
Dee

Also the first two links in the "stickies" in this forum fail

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, the stickies are never edited. Maybe I'll see if I can do something to clean them up with Administration's help one of these days.

Your orchids take varying degrees of light with the Phal being the lowest but even Phals need at least African violet light. Some growers with greenhouses in northern areas use grow lights to spot their more light demanding plants in low light winter. That said, I do not need lights and even when mine were in the house they were in a solarium with multiple story glass walls and skylights. I hate to blow you off by saying look on line but fewer people grow under lights than with natural light and I know there is information out there. You will need full range lights (the more expensive plant types). Some people use several individual bulbs with clamp lights and place the light about four to eight inches from the plant. This way they can display their plants around the house. One problem that will arise in low light is that although your plants may look dark green and lush, new growth will be soft, weak and more prone to disease.

The links you were trying to get to are the American Orchid Society info, I believe. Google them and you will see there is a series of online videos non-members can watch on the care of various orchid genera. I wish I could be more helpful. Please join us on the monthly thread and jump right in. We love new orchid growers. If you have special questions make a separate thread just as you did so other people who might be needing the info see it.
Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.