Fall colors

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thought I would share this video of my cousin's Japanese maple collection. These are all in his yard in Mukilteo. Perhaps we can share other fall photos - this seems to be a spectacular color year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/amazingmaples#p/u/0/UKh993YOGB8

Lake Stevens, WA

Those are gorgeous! I will have to watch again. Nice job with the names! Loved it!! I can see way he has a passion for these trees.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

WOW! I have a whole three in my yard, unnamed of course, and they are just getting their fall colors now. I will take photos this weekend and post my humble contributions to this thread.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful bonehead. I have been thinking of trees for the new place. My daughter named this place "Maplehaven" when she lived here. You have inspired me. Now I need time and money. LOL

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Willow, it's been my experience that I either have time and no money, or money and no time. I prefer the first.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Time and no money is far less stressful to me. I know exactly what to do. Nothing.

My Japanese maples don't seem quite so spectacular this year, but here they are, as promised.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

Another.

And the last, I can hardly ever get a picture in my yard without dogs in it!

One of my more colorful fall flower beds.

And this year's version of a scene many of you have seen in years' past.

Lake Stevens, WA

Those are beautiful. The 2nd is gorgeous with all the ferns and greenery in he background.
I'l bet you had frost this AM.
Willow when will you share your new home with us? You must have some new lovelies in you yard.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi springcolor. I am getting near the end of this journey. We have rented our Union house for two years. We have to be out by Dec 1. We have just a few things left to do there. I met the renter and she was immediately lovable. So happy with that. My new yard has been neglected for five years. No watering. Surprisingly an epimedium, and a hellebore are still alive. Some roses, peonies, lilies, lavenders, iris and phlox. I have three rhodies instead of 41 so deadheading will be alot easier. LOL I will soon take some pictures and get started on the re-making of "Maplehaven". I am getting my basement in order and setting up the library and craftroom.

Lake Stevens, WA

Good to hear that you are getting things squared away. I will look forward to seeing your progress in the new yard.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Not sure if this link will transfer here, but if it does, it is a cool approach via satellite to my cousin's maple collection:

GoogleEarth_Placemark.kmz

Lake Stevens, WA

This is my Sangokaku.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

This is closer. It has been planted only for a little over a year. I think It will be gorgeous in a few years. Wanted the coral bark for winter interest in front of the evergreens hedge.
I got this from a little nursery in Sumner called Higashi Nursery. Any of you down south shop there.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

This is an oldie. Realy showing color

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Same tree different side.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

2 more. J. Maple just over the fence line.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Fire Bush. The best red in the fall!

Thumbnail by springcolor
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Coral Bark is on my list. Love that one. Beautiful pond and plantings. I'm going to get rid of a 80' tall conifer of some kind in the front yard and all the grass. Trying to plan for dwarf conifers and grasses and maples. The 80' one just shed all its pollen cones. What a mess. The whole place was yellow. It has cones that fall off the tree and splatter in pieces. Very messy and way to big for the small space. There was one next door and at the next house up. The one next door was cut down and they are anxious for this one to come down also. Have to wait until January. DH's son will cut it up for firewood and clean up the mess.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Firebush goes well with the maples. I am thinking about a lot of blue to silver conifers. I like those. It is nice to be thinking of creating a garden again. The renter loves the greenshed and will use it, so it will be there for at least two years. I think I will save up enough to have it moved here.

Lake Stevens, WA

Good, Happy you will get that shed. That was so nice.

Lake Stevens, WA

BH,
What are your new J. Maples doing?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Most of my newly transplanted J. maples have either dropped their leaves already or are in the scraggly stage. Some had some wind damage during transport. I think all but one* have good buds for next season though, so I have high hopes. Here is the most established one, an Acer palmatum 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' which is showing fine fall color and a quirky form. That's a Mexican feather grass to the side (compliments of Springcolor, thanks!), also lovely. I am hoping this grass with give me some babies, I really like how it sways in the wind.

*One was accidentally shoved out of its hole by an over-exurberant brush-hog which I didn't notice for a couple days. I dug it back in, but it's looking rather sad. I'll see what spring brings...

Thumbnail by bonehead
Lake Stevens, WA

That is gorgeous!!!
I have to ask, what is a brush hog? Not your sweet dog! Maybe a machine?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

SC, a brush hog is one of those big mowers that are dragged behind tractors. My brother-in-law was over for a visit and went a bit crazy with the mowing (guys + toys). He also flattened a stand of darmera (one would think that would be distinctive enough to figure it was not a weed...) Can't complain, though, he did ask if there was anything he should avoid - guess I wasn't specific enough. These things happen.

Lake Stevens, WA

I see!!

Lake Stevens, WA

Mother nature's show last night.

Thumbnail by springcolor

Nice! Did you see the great full moon too

Lake Stevens, WA

Yes, I was working ouside until dark. What a wonderful 2 day run!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Great pics. It has been a beautiful year for fall colors, and I'm really enjoying it. I have 5 Sango kaku trees (coral bark maples). 2 were fairly large, and installed in the center of my patio in 2 islands. One of the larger ones unfortunately succumbed to verticillum wilt recently. I guess coral barks are much more susceptible to this ubiquitous soil fungal disease than other maples----so keep an eye out for that on yours. Unfortunately, there is no treatment, and my conclusion is that the disease came with my trees from the nursery---which of course is rather upsetting. It is probably just a matter of time before the others die also. Heartbreaking. I've been quiet in the gardening world lately---I've taken indoors to sew lots of clothes and knit a Christmas stocking. Come January, I'll be going crazy ordering seeds again though. My yard put out quite a display until the first frost----which came 3 weeks late this year and saved our 2011 wine industry. (October 21 was our first frost---amazing!)

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

And Sharon---I'm loving my new greenhouse. I did have a heater installed. Moved my bougainvillea in there in early October, and they are thriving. So much better than taking up my entire bathroom for 7 month and scratching my legs all winter!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Kosk - beware the knitted stocking. They are very cool as a handmade decoration, but difficult to stuff (they grow with everything you put in, especially anything heavy). I did the same for my two boys and found they were fine when the guys were little and dollar stuffers were easy to come by, but as they grew up and stuffers became more expensive, it was next to impossible to load them without blowing about $100 each! Maybe if you line them with fabric that would help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.