English Ivy , Ugh....

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have an area that it has gotten out of control. Is there a product that will kill this plant? I need to at least get it contained if not just all the way gone. HELP!
I know it is my fault, I was the dummy that planted it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Try one of the brush killer sort of weed killers--they tend to be better at getting through waxy coatings on leaves like what ivy has. Hitting new young leaves is often more effective than trying to get the old tough leaves as well, but this time of year I don't expect that you have many new leaves.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Cut it as low as you can. Then you'll have to wait for spring and some hot days when you can paint or spray the new leaves with Round Up and/or probably many other killer products.Check Bayer's Brush B Gone and see if that mentions ivy on the label. The combination of new leaves that accept and transfer the poison to the roots along with heat should kill it even if you have to do it a few times.

Well, Marie, now you have the same thought by two of us!

So I have to wait till spring. Ok, I can do that. I guess it is a good thought since 2 of you thought about it...lol

I spent the month of October 2007 just removing ivy from old trees (13 of them) and from the earth, of course. What a nightmare.

You did cut back, didn't you? That's a huge help when spring does arrive.

Yes i have started cutting it back and pulling it up. The tree that it was on fell during the Hurricane. I still have a lot lot more to go, but I dont want to just toss it in the woods, I need to bag it. Still trying to get all the other stuff done outside that I need to. Just saw that tomorrow night it might get down in the 30's. So that means tomorrow morning I am bringing the rest of the house plants in that I want to keep.

Good. Keep bagging it up and to get those houseplants inside just bribe yourself with something wonderful. It works for me most days. Only the two heaviest houseplants still have to come in here but there are a few plants I'd like to dig and try and save over winter. Our forecast is for rain - hiss, boo!

Williamsburg, OH(Zone 6a)

I recently volunteered at the local park assisting with invasive honeysuckle removal. They had us cut the trunks down to about a foot off the ground (this was so they could find them and keep people from tripping) and then they sprayed the tips with a Roundup type product (it has 50% glyphosate in it). The Park then sent the brush through a chipper.

I am still trying to get rid of this ivy. I need a stronger weed killer, But I dont want to kill what plants are there. So in the spring I will need to dig them up and then put down the weed killer.

It is best to use the weed killer on brand new spring foliage. Cover good plants with plastic to avoid disaster.

Oh thanks Pirl. That will be one of my Spring projects. I am ab out done for the fall. I still have to get the Canna's out of the pots. Maybe tomorrow if it is warmer and not raining.

I was thinking of you on Tuesday as I dug up my one canna but with all the bulbs I see I think next year I'll have a dozen of them.

Saturday's forecast is very good for this late in November. Tomorrow we're due for sun and 45 but Saturday we're due for sun and 52. More jobs will get done and crossed off my eternal/endless list - the one on paper, not the one I walk out with to garden!

Thumbnail by pirl

Oh Canna's expand rapidly Pirl. I will never forget when I lived in NC, I took a few , like 3 or 4 bulbs, from a neighbor. After about 4 years I had enough to do a hedge that was at least 50ft long and still had lots around my home. They were even growing under the porch.
2 years ago I started with 3 bulbs of EE and now I have more than enough to fill my 4 very large pots and this summer they were over flowing thm. So the last pot I am not sure if I am even going to bother with.
I like the way you remind yourself what you ave to do...lol

Thanks for the warning, Marie. I'll separate the mess of the canna tomorrow and store them in a brown bag. Maybe the price of $14.99 was worth it. The blooms weren't thrilling but I bought it for the dark foliage, which I did enjoy.

I think insanity starts with little footsteps...or notes on my hand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.