Holiday Cacti General Discussion Part #3

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Helping JB move this up to a part #3.

The other Thread was getting a bit long....
Share all kinds of talk about your Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150081/#new

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 9:20 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Reserved for Holiday cactus info

There are three main types of Holiday cactus: Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. All are called Holiday Cacti but each is slightly different in its form, flower, bloom time and cultural requirements. Many already know this information but so we can keep them straight, here is a description of the three types. We can all appreciate how far back these long lived beauties go and love them whatever their official holiday.

Christmas and Thanksgiving are members of the genus Schlumbergera while Easter Cacti comprise two species of the genus Rhipsalidopsis. This information comes from Paul's Notes "Recognition and Culture of the Holiday Cacti"

Christmas Cactus

The true "Christmas Cactus" is Schlumbergera x buckleyi, a hybrid between S. Russelliana and S. Truncata produced in the late 1840s in England by William Buckley at the Rollisson Nurseries. There are two maybe 3 slightly different surviving clones of of three hybrids of this cross names S.x.buckleyi 'Buckleyi', S.x buckleyi 'Rollissonii' and possibly S.x..buckley 'Snowii'.
There is a difference in the flowers of these three. Magenta is the primary color. (We would call it fuchsia I think). Characteristically, the True Christmas Cactus has branches which are decidedly arcing and the pendent and the stem segments do not have the little points along the side The flowers are completely pendent and radially symmetrical (actinomorphic).
Their blooming time is actually between November and May and many times it blooms too late for the Christmas Sales, and is one reason it is so hard to find. The true Christmas Cactus come mostly from old plants handed down from family to family , as these plants can and do live for 50 years or more!

Thanksgiving Cactus

The Thanksgiving Cacti are Schlumbergera truncata cultivars. They are clones selected for their colors and growth habit and given cultivar names. They bloom about a full month or more before the true Christmas Cactus, given the same treatment, and so are more easily made to bloom at the best time for Christmas sales, but the flowers might not last until Christmas.
They are also known as the "Link Cactus", "Grandmother's Cactus", etc. and sold in Canada as Christmas Cactus. Many of them are now also called Zygo Cactus.
Their flowers are asymmetrical (zygomorphic). not normally pendent, but bent somewhat upward at the ovary, so that they grow outward, rather horizontally from the tips of the segments on branches which are usually much more erect that those of the True Christmas Cactus. The colors range from pure white to a deep reddish violet. In 1982 the first yellow one was grown . Now there are many beautiful colors available, but they will be Zygo Cactus as some also call them. I have some I call Zygo because they arrived from the grower identified as such.
Because both the Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus bloom twice each year between Oct. and Feb. then again in March and May, many people confuse them with the Easter Cactus.

Easter Cactus

The Easter Cactus is Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri. It is not nearly as popular as the Schlumbergeras because it is rather more difficult to grow well, and it has the disconcerting habit of shedding its stem segments at the slightest dry spell, or whenever over or under watered. It may refuse to bloom for no apparent reason. But it is quite magnificent in spite of all of the problems one may have with them. R. gaertneri is the species with scarlet flowers.'Crimson Giant' and 'Rainbow' are some of the cultivars. All are beautiful when in bloom.

Recognition and Culture of the Holiday Cacti" by Paul Brunelle

http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

Here is the one that compares the leaves. You will see the difference on page 2 of the different Schlums and some additional info.

http://cactusepiphytes.pagesperso-orange.fr/z_page_les_cactu...

These two have so much good information. I use them as reference all the time. The Paul's has a much more complete description than what I copied for you. If you are really interested in getting to know the plants, these two will be very helpful.

"Will the Real CC Please Stand Up?"
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/392/

She uses Paul B (above) as a reference too and includes many of his drawings that illustrate the differences in the three types.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2011 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Reserved for Hiliday cactus links

Thumbnail by coleup
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Good idea, Judy!

I am happy if any of my pictures can br used in furthering knowledge of that plant...

The above picture is from December, 2006.
I still have that CC, but I think it is the one I cut back and stuck all the pieces into a new pot to root.
The old one was getting woody and was not blooming that well any more...

Here is the same one from Nov. 2009.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

In 2010--it got blown off the plant stand outside in some high winds--and it broke it to pieces...

I gathere up all the pieces and put them on a tray in my basement. There they sat for weeks!
They still bloomed...
Eventually, I had to pot it up somehow, so, if I remember, that is how many of my baby CC's came to be.

Here is the pile of broken off pieces....the color is off--as they were not in natural daylight.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank you Judy and Gita great quick work. Just finished shipping plants and decided to sit down and go over some posts prior to getting back to work again. On my way home from the Post Office I stopped at my neighbors Farm Market for my Monday Morning visit. She was telling me last year she tried to buy Christmas Cactus from the wholesaler and they had none. I do not have enough of the older plants left to sell her any either.

The regular shopper for Christmas Cactus at this time of year wants a plant like you can get at HD or at the bigger chain stores..........already blooming and bigger. They still want to pay the cheapest price possible, so you can understand why the local small scale wholesalers do not put the time and money into CC or even poinsettias anymore because when you have Acme, Walmart, Lowes and HD to compete with, it just does not pay anymore.
It is so sad so many small independent businesses have been put out of business by the bigger stores. Same thing happened to the small Craft Shops and Fabric Shops. A.C. Moore and the bigger stores completely outprice them all. Enough of the business end of the CC . I have not had a problem selling my plants because I advertise them as starter plants and people do not expect them to be any bigger. I sell them at a good price and at least I make room in the GH for others. I do not make any money but I have a good time. If I had to do this for a living, I would be homeless. LOL

I wanted you to see this shot of the Yellow Zygo Cactus that I have. Yellow is a difficult color to find. I got mine at Hirts. This is the first year I have a few yellow starters to sell. This stock plant is just getting to be a real beauty. It is three years old now.

See you later. Must get busy.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

JB---

IF I remember---an 8" HB of blooming CC at HD was about $12.97.

One could buy that--enjoy the blooms--and then get a zillion cuttings to root for next year.
As I said earlier--I will keep my eye out for odd colors--like the orange/pink you were talking about.

I would hate to have to buy a whole nes HB of CC of any odd color--but if that helps you--I will.
Maybe will have to visit Lowes after the TH-Giving Holiday. They have such a great clearance price
on so many things.
I have a Lowes about 2+ miles from my house. The HD I work at is 4 1/2 miles. Nuff said!!!
I simply MUST make an effort to stop by Lowes more often.

They also sell broken bags of soil for 50% off. HD does also--but only to customers--NOT any of us associates.

Discrimination! That's what it is!

I have meant to take some photos of some of my budding CC. Just have not gotten to it...
Tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 70's here. Of course--I work 9-6. No daylight left when I get home.

Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the new thread Judy, and the info spots at the top will make it very helpful.

tommyr I just wanted to add that the potting mix, to me experience needs to be well draining for sure. I lost a very healthy one once, during a summer period of two very rainy days. Total death. I think others here have also mentioned that root rot is a concern., so. WELL DRAINING SOIL.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sally! Yeah, I know about well draining soil. I'm going to experiment a little this fall/winter. All my thanksgiving cactus died so a few new one are in order!

oh I just HATE (NOT) when I have to buy new plants! I saw some great ones last year when I browsed one seller of CCs.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Check your plants people. Buds popping up all over the place on the Zygos. The Fuchsia is blooming, the others are just starting to bud. What is happening at your house?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

JB Hope you are weathering this nor'easter with all its wind and heavy snow. So many power outages all over.. May you and all others be safe.
Judy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

JB--

Many of my CC are budding too--the BIG and the small....They are all now inside...
I just have not had time to take pictures.....busy dealing with this weather and unfinished garden jobs...
my Cataract surgeries--my daughter coming home next week and staying for a week...THAT will be great--
IF we can not do battle...She is SOOOO independent that often, being back home with Mom, brings
on all kinds of mini-battles.....

Brought the rest of my CC inside yesterday. They were the bigger/older ones.
The Baby ones have been in now for a week. Glad I started early--to avoid the panic time.

Today has been an in-house day....worked on swapping out summer clothes for fall/Winter ones...
Have spent the last couple of hours working on some X-mas crafts and listening to nice music....
Such a rare treat to decide to do this! The H--l with the TV on Saturday nights....Nothing interesting on!

Please excuse me for digressing from here on...I just need to air my feelings....

HD is doing the mega-manager/assistant Mgr. swap again. This usually happens every 2-3 years.
We are losing our Store manager--(Donn). My beloved gardening person to whom I have been
growing and giving plants to for 4 years. We are such kindred souls....How I will miss him!!!
We are also losing two of our Asst. Mgrs. I like all of them as well....
None of us know who will take their places....I DO NOT do well with women Managers...Hope we get a man one..

I will weep in my heart! It will be hard! Donn is going to the Christiana HD in Delaware. He lives close to that one. only 17 mi.
He has been driving 100mi. round trip for 4 years to come to our/HIS Store here in Baltimore..
A break in that aspect.....

Also--just 2 weeks ago--Donn's younger brother was killed in a car crash. He is taking it pretty hard. I was the 2nd person he told.
THAT alone shows you how he sees me. He really holds me in a special category as a human person.
I could see in his face that something was wrong....Finally--I snagged him in one of the aisles and asked. "Are you OK???"
Then he told me---We talked for about 10 minutes....about life and death and spirituality....and many other "deep" things...
If I can snag him for 5 minutes--we have a lot to talk about--we have so much in common....That seldom can happen.
GOD! I wish I could corral him and have a couple hours of conversations with him. I would be so good for both of us!
It is always the same--someone walks by--and that is that....."Gotta go!"..."Catch you later!"....Later never comes...

We have such a connection on many aspects--none of them to do with HD or Mgr./Associate...BUT--that is the HUGE limitation
to an actual friendship. I wish he could come to see my garden--and i--His. NO GO! He could lose his job over that!
I know--and I respect him for that. The saying: "First of all--be true to yourself" covers this 100%.
I will miss so much about him. I have never seen him as "My Manager" (Of course he is!)--only the human person behind it all...
The not-s-savvy gardener that i have nurtured for 4 years.,,and he still does not know what he is doing--because he does not
make time to look and read the photo--informational album I have created for him. It has pictures and specific information on
all the plants I have given him....He does not use it...

When we were talking--I said---"Please keep in touch!"....You have all my contacts...Phone--e-Mail--Address...etc.
How will I be able to contact YOU? His Blackberry (as a Manager) gets 100's of e-mails a day. Lost cause!
He never uses his home computer--so ne sense sending anything there!
I do send him some e-mails to his HD Blackberry----and he is pretty good at answering...short-but sweet!

I know he won't keep in touch. I live in LA--LA land in that respect...Wishful thinking....
He will be up to his ears in all his anal, perfectionist role of RUNNING A NEW STORE.
And--in a couple of years--it will be perfect! And--he will still be getting 100's of HD e-mails to his Blackberry.
This is always 24hrs a day/night.

I know this new store will be a mess when he gets there--and he will, in time, turn it into a perfect, clean, money-making store--j
just like he did ours....Took a while until all the "rebels" did his bidding. He expects a lot from his ASM's--and, eventually
he gets it. One of the ones leaving has, actually, been fired. He just does nor do the work expected of him. GONE!!!
This man will be going to the closest Wallmart as an ASM. Good luck! He better get his act together!

That is his (Donn's) mission! He is "married" to HD. So sad! But--SO TRUE!
I have been at my HD for almost 14 years. Donn is my 8th Store Manager...The best we have had! They come and they go.
Some you never even remember--and some you will miss like H--l.
You learn to "grieve" for the good ones..and totally forget the not-so-good ones...it is hard on us!
It really hardens you, in the respect of having any particular connection with any of them.

Donn is a 45yr. old, a good looking man--and he has NO time to have any kind of a relationship with someone "special"...
I wish SO MUCH that he would MAKE THE TIME to find a woman that he can have a loving relationship with.
He is such a sensitive, feeling persi=on--but working 11 hrs.--five days a week does nor leave much room for a relationship.

The brother that was just killed was the only one married of all his siblings...He was 40--and was married to a 60yr. old
woman. 13 years and going. See! Age does not matter....She is a total wreck at this time....Why not????

It sucks growing old by yourself!!!

When I finish this Post--I plan to write a long "Advice" article to Donn about what NOT to be like as a Store manager...
My main jist will be--"Do not operate out of fear of YOUR Superiors--the regional biggies. He does!
I will tell him that everything he does is good--and the sales and meeting all the goals speak for themselves...

I will also tell him that--HIS superiors can see all the good he does--as well as all the things he does out of "fear"
of not doing what they want 100%. His insecurities. He needs to believe in himself--100%--and then relax.
Self-confidence in what he knows he can do REALLY--REALLY GOOD is the difference....and he does!

I will also tell him that going around and asking random associates if they think the store looks OK is NOT
a sign of self-confidence....Believe in your own abilities--and let it be will be the main message when I get done....

Phew...I sure am brazen--aren't I? I know Donn will appreciate my comments....
Many of the people in out store think he is "Crazy" with all this--"I want it this way--and that way--Just do it!"
He needs to learn patience....Perfection may be a goal--but NOT a great way to get your subordinates to like you.

It takes the few of us to see through the Manager--and see the Human being behind all he does....There are some of us.....

Thanks for letting me air my feelings....This is so important to me....I will miss him so!!!! I am very saddened at all this....

Gita

Donn and me at last year's HD X-mas party...YES! He drove the 100 miles round trip just to make a showing at this event..
THAT is commitment to how he feels about all HIS Associates!
Everyone thought this was the greatest picture of both of us....I will always cherish this picture! A cashier took it...
One for ME--one for Donn and one for herself....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Crozet, VA

Gosh.....a good education on the different Cacti from Cole and sweet sentiments of friendship from Gita. I didn't expect this when invited to check the thread out. Both very passionate women I can see. Judy, the links wouldn't open for me for some reason. I will try again later and see if they will open.

Let me propose this question for those of you more experienced with CC. If my plants haven't set bud yet, do you think they might still do so later on? I will be so sad if the majority of the pots I have going don't bloom. I should be grateful for the three or so pots which are in bud now, but seeing no buds on the others is quite disheartening.

If anyone cares to, since I haven't been involved in reading or participating on the other two parts of this topic and have surely missed some great advice on CC care, please if you are so inclined give me some basics on caring for the plants to ensure bloom. Some tips about keeping them at their healthiest is also appreciated.

I do have another question for you. One of my CC has been living and actually growing for a couple of years but it is a very pale green color almost being yellowish colored. Anyone know what might account for that and what I might do to help change it back to a darker colored green? I haven't tried anything nor done any research on it because it sees to be healthy enough, just off color. Maybe I have some very odd and rare speciman somehow mixed in with my others. Who knows???

Anyway....I look forward to hearing some tips on getting these little beauties to bloom their little hearts out. Thanks ladies.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby--

I would say--"Not to worry".....
I have 2 different colors....The fuchsia pink/white--Apricot--and Red.

--The Fuchsia--I have a lot of. Most of them have buds
--The red one (at least in my mini-pots) seems to have a different growth habit. Kind of more "bunched up".
The leaf sections are not as long and are closer together. I could ID the Reds just by looking at their "leaves".
--Then the Apricot one--at leas in the 6" pots shows a massive. strong stem and "leaf" growth.
The stems are upright and taller than anything else. It exudes "power"....:o).

I have not had time to take photos of the little baby planters. Or the big ones.
Trying to get in some garden work --pulling up (now) dead annuals and finding homes inside for my 10 pots of Oxalis.

The Cannas got nipped. All the leaves are limp. Now I wait 2 more weeks and dig them up.
Also my neighbor's 2 HUGE ones! man! These never stopped growing! They were SO beautiful, though.
Big green leaves and bright orange blooms. She is still in Spain. Have NO idea when she will come back.
So--I can do what I want with her plants. She won't care. Hmmm...Dig...Dig..Dig....

Have to dig mine up too. Gita

Crozet, VA

Thanks for the care tips for the Canna's. You have grown some lovely ones, so I believe I am getting good advice from you. We lost several of them a few years back when the digger in the family didn't dig them before freezing weather. They are absolutely one of my favorite plants.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby---Have you NOT paid any attention to the Canna advice???????????????...:o)

You must allow the first frost to kill the foliage.
Then you cut back all the stems to about 10".
Then you wait 2 more weeks--and then you dig up the tubers.
DO NOT try to shake off any of the soil--as it may break off some of the root sections. Some of the bulk soil is OK.
Then you air dry them in a box in some warm, fresh air--or in your basement.
DO NOT try to divide them in the fall!!!!!

Put them in a box with some peat Moss --or crumpled up Newspapers for the winter.
Check on them by February and mist a bit for moisture.
By beginning of March--you should see some life coming back.
Plant the root sections outside by Mid April about 4"-5" deep. Put in a stake NOW!

That is it!!!! How can you ever lose one?????? What were you NOT doing right????

NOTE!!!! Canna roots can be very fragile....DO NOT try to force any of the soil to break free from the root mass.
The root mass will have multiplied throughout the previous season.

You can plant the whole clump for a spectacular plant in the new year---OR--You can gently divide the mass into 2 or 3 sections.
depending on how big it is. Try to have at least THREE "eyes" in each section....

The "single-eye" plants I have given you all are because I was not careful and broke off sections as I tried to clean the clumps.
They are so fragile! They just snap off!

Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Oops!

This message was edited Nov 1, 2011 11:15 AM

Thumbnail by coleup

Nice thought for the day.

Hope this shows up well. The barest hint of pink on the throat. If you're under the flower, the edge of the throat inside has pink line.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

What a lovely flower, does it have a name? The one called Peaches and Cream has the pink scattered here and there also. I love the softness of the combination of those two colors. It reminds me of PEACE. Kind of nice for a Christmas Cactus. Thanks for sharing. JB

Hi JB, afraid I don't know the name. It had lost its tag and most of its flowers before I found it on clearance. It only had white buds remaining, which all fell off when I got it home last year. Now I've been brave/ stupid and moved this around a couple times, and the buds are stuck on good!
I gave a chunk of this to Ruby. I gave a nice pot of it to my dad, and swapped another small pot to a friend at work. Sure got my money's worth out of that clearance plant !!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am waiting to see when we get CC in at HD. May just find an "accidentally" broken off piece.....

Right now we are getting in other fancy-flowering plants--like Stephanotis, Anthuriums,
Orchids and lots of AV's. Keeping my eyes open....

Of course--I am off all next week...but I can always run over and look. It is only 4.5mi. from my house.
Need to buy 4 bags of Humus/Manure to dig into that raised bed of mine...Gotta get something organic in it!!!!

Tomorrow I get my right eye lens fixed up. it will be easier to have equal vision in both eyes.
It has been har and confusing for the last 2 weeks wearing glasses---or NOT wearing glasses.....
Either way--it has not worked too well....I will still need reading glasses.....

Gita

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

When you see a broken piece .......and this goes for anyone who takes pieces or cuttings from Christmas Cactus, you twist it until it comes off. That saves having bacteria get on them from dirty clippers, knives, etc. Keep twisting until it lets go. That is what the professionals tell you to do. Honest. JB Prayers and Hugs Gita.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

JB--HA! I know that already!!!! Strange!

Do not cut--but twist until it comes off. Then there will be this small, pointed thing left at the bottom of the removed stem.
Like a miniature pyramid.....

I do not know what that means--but I DO know you have to do it this way...

JB! Do you know WHY we need to do this?????

Thanks for the well wishes....It will be a breeze--like the first time...It will also be better to have both eyes the same...
Then, i can go and buy reading glasses and all should be well....

Hey! JB! You never answered my other lengthy post on our D-mails.....
Would love to hear from you....You have the most insightful, understanding heart.....♥ ♥ ♥

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

So, JB and Gita, If I happen to find say a six segmented piece of a CC with a beautiful bloom like the one Sallyg posted above, should I twist off the broken bottom segment before I plant the remaining five? Inquiring minds want to know.

JB it is always good to hear from you (I was worried that the heavy wet snow had created problems for you and your greenhouse) but didn't you post some where that this is your busy season?

Just hope that every one will check in when they can and post some pics of your blooms!

Also hope the rest of the fall's weather remains seasonally appropriate!

Judy

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Gita, when you twist off the stem, you just leave it alone, do not cut anything off (I am not sure what you are referring to for cutting off, I do not have that happen that I know of). Then put the cuttings in a dry place to callus for a few days before planting them in your preferred medium. As an Alternative, cuttings can be rooted by placing them in a plastic box on a piede of damp cotton wool, spraying halfway through if necessary.

You can take cuttings any time of year but Spring is best. (For the truncata, I take most of mine after they have bloomed usually sometime after January or February if they stop blooming, sometimes it goes later)

Are you asking why we twist instead of cut, Gita? That is because of the bacteria that could be on the clippers or whatever you use if you have not completely sterilized it. It is just a precaution thing. Just for kicks, I twist clockwise. Do not ask me why please? It just works for me.

When you have planted your cuttings you may or may not use rooting powder. Rooting can take place from two to six weeks depending upon the temperature and time of year. You should keep them in a warm, shady, humid atmosphere if possible. Spraying them regularly to keep them hydrated.

Judy, I am really busy just now. I have small orders of CC to ship plus a large order of 19 that need to be replanted into special pots because the woman is using them as gifts. If you do not hear from me and need me, just yell, sometimes I just quickly lurk and move on if I have nothing to add. Thanks for the thoughts.

Just a footnote....during the drastic change in temps in the GH this past weekend storm, my yellow cuttings took a turn for the worse. All but a few got really cold and are very limp. I am hoping I can save them. I had to cancer an order for six just two days ago because they have not yet responded to better regulated temps. and no water. I want to try and dry them out and see if they perk up.

Must go. Back later, JB

Crozet, VA

My story with Canna's goes something like this. Sally gifted us with a BEAUTIFUL red one at the first plant swap that John and I attended at Hart's mountainside retreat. What a fun day and what a special love I felt for each person that showed that day and the feeling I had for such giving souls. Aaahhhh......Dave's gardeners.

Anyway, we planted it, and if I am remembering correctly, there may have been more than one that she gave me because I seem to recall that some of the same was planted in another area of the garden as well. Anyway, the big Momma one grew in our front bed and must have reached about eight feet tall. This was our first real year of gardening about six years ago now. For three or so years without digging it up, or without any care to it, it grew and bloomed its crazy head off. I suppose that is where we got the idea that Canna's didnt need to be overwintered in any special way. I remember too that at a later point I opened my mail box and had a package from Sally. What could this surprise be? It turned out to be an orange and red colored Canna that she had extra of and knew I loved them so very graciously shared with me. That Canna too lived in a very large pot on the deck and survived for a couple or three years. Again, we knew nothing of digging up and over wintering the Canna's because they had proved to live here without digging up.

So, let's see now.....it must have been either last winter or the winter before that John had planted several Canna in a different area and didn't dig them up come frost and that is how we lost them. Eviddently the previous planting areas had somehow protected them and allowed them to survive the winter, but the new location wasn't quite so forgiving.

As for the other Canna that I got from you at Aspen Hill's in May Gita, your instructions will be followed to a T. I hear your message loud and clear. I love the Canna's but they just lost a point or two with me now that digging up and replanting has become a part of the mix.

Due to declining physical abilities and the heat of the past two years, I no longer do as much outside as I once did and now devote most of my gardening energies to indoor plants. It seems the only ones that I lose on a regular basis are plants that others say are invasive. hahaha

Dahlia's are another plant that lived for several years without us having to dig up as suggested. They too finally succumbed to the elements along with the beautiful Canna's that Sally had gifted me with.

As for the White Christmas Cactus that Sally gave me at Jill's, I am proud to say that it is one of the three or so that are forming buds. The cuttings that I received last spring from Gita are not budding yet. Maybe they will turn out to be the Easter Cactus or something. The other couple that are budding along with the white one are pieces from a large one that I over watered a few years back and ended up with some struggling pieces.

John gave a clerk in a grocery store where he stops for breakfast some days a Christmas Cactus a couple of days ago. We sent one of the budding ones to her and she was delighted. She had hinted big time to him about how she wanted one. I believe it is one from my original CC and will be fushia colored.

Yep Sally, you got your money's worth out of the clearance sale CC. Those are the types of success stories I love to hear. Almost the weekend gals. I hope that everyone has a good one. I think I will be either in the ER having my back checked out or at least at home trying to heal it. Going in to week number of a bad time with the lower back giving me problems. No fun at all. Thankfully I am able to function during the day pretty much okay, it is in the evening when I stop that things really seem to flare.

Enjoy your day all.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby---

Not to worry! many of my "baby" CC are not budding either. Many are--and will bloom.
I will try to get them all down from the sashes (buried behind all my HG's inside) and see
if i can take some pictures....
They should look so cute--being so small but covered with blooms....I can't wait!

Ruby--I cut off all the foliage from my, and my neighbor's Cannas. Hers are just SO amazing!!!
She is still in Spain and I am not in the mood to do too much gardening....
My endurance is really suffering--as i am still coughing--and i think it wears out my lungs and heart....

May be something else. Then i have to go see a Dr. about this....
I just know that, last year, after the months and months of bronchitis and coughing--I had this same issue.
When it totally stopped--I had my "wind" back.

Too nice a day to be inside--I do not really want to go outside--as my eyes are now so sensitive to the bright sunshine.
Had my right eye done yesterday. All is well! Dr. checked it today and said the implants were absolutely PERFECT!

My eyes have always been very sensitive to the sunlight--as they are light blue. These surgeries have not helped.
It will be a couple more weeks before everything is healed...settled in..and back to "normal."

Gotta go get me a pair of el-cheapo reading glasses.....in about 3-4 weeks, they will be able to prescribe me regular reading glasses...

Maybe I will go out after Dr. Phil and pull up some more annuals. My neighbor's garden is mine also--when she goes away.

Gita

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Judy, Sally, Tommy, where are you????

Came up for air and it seems overnight the young CC are all popping buds. It is so exciting to see the younger plants wake up and bloom. Yippee.

I must spend some time taking inventory of the baby CC tomorrow. I could just run out before I want to. LOL.
You should be starting to take pictures of your little buds. One of you showed a bud opening. Was that on this forum? I think that would be so neat if someone would take a picture of the same bud maybe at weekly intervals and we could see the difference each week. If no one else wants to do it let me know and I will give it a shot. Now is the time.

Talk to you tomorrow. Have a great weekend. Gita, you take care of yourself. We need you to be 100% especially since I only have one good eye. Great going girl. JB

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My buds are nopt yet "opening"--so I dom't kmow if there is anything to really take pictures of...

Will do so when they "pop"...

Went looking today for reading glasses. I only need the cheap ones for 3 or 4 weeks.
Then i will get a regular Rx for them.

Went to Rite Aid---1mi. up the road from me---and all they had were Foster Grants...cost between $15-$20.
YEAH! Right!!! Walked out and went right into a "Dollar Tree" next to them and picked up 2 pairs for--$2!
One was 2.25 lens--the other one 2.50 lens. Both seem to be OK for close-up.
NO biggie if I have to get a 3rd pair--for just another Dollar....

I swear--there is NOTHING different about the frames that we all have to pay $150 for. They sure seem OK to me
for just $1. I DO realize that the Optometrists make most of their $$$$ from the frames of the glasses.
What is there in a plastic frame that costs $150 or more?????? We are getting ripped off here!!!!! And--we know it!

My daughter from Seattle will be here for most of next week. I hope we can spend a lot of time together...
Will not neglect all of you--my gardening Pals!

Time to hit the sack soon! Sleep well--you all......Gita

Ruby, I sure hope you can get some relief. I totally agree with you that there are so many plants out there you don't need to deal with any that are too much effort.

You too Gita, feel better. I didn't know you had been coughing. By the way For EYes chain and others have 69$ frames, For Eyes often runs specials. But yeah they are high for what they are.

Here's my other. THis is a very old plant, from my dad and stepmom, before that, it was her moms. As best I can tell, it is all one, very woody plant. But one side buds seem more advanced than the other. It's on top of the hutch at the computer desk so I will see it every day.

Thumbnail by sallyg

ew I hate flash pictures. I hope this one is better.
edit- Not much!

This message was edited Nov 5, 2011 8:15 AM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Morning, Hey Sally, I thought you left us. So glad you didn't. The pictures are great, I only wish I could learn to use my camera and take pictures like that. I always seem to mess them up. Being old is no excuse for this one. I have done it all my life. I am certainly not a person who can take pictures or draw pictures. I have so many beautiful sights in my head and I just can not get them out on paper. So sad.

I have my little magenta/fuchsia almost identical to yours Sally, in the house giving them a week of more or less darkness compared to the greenhouse. They get morning and some afternoon sun in the greenhouse and it causes them to get a pale pinkish yellowish brownish new growth. It will not hurt them, in fact it will no doubt make them bloom more, but I want them to darken up some before I ship them.

Hopefully I will have time to put up some good information on growing your christmas cactus. I will try to do it this weekend. It will not be long, but it is very good information. So keep tuning in and see what I have for you. later JB

Crozet, VA

Gita, I have cataracts on both eyes, one is worse than the other but can't remember which. I developed them in my mid thirties due to Prednisone use daily for seven years. At the time I was told by an Opthomalogist that they were inoperable because they grew a bit different from the cataracts that are common with age. Not sure if I were to go now almost twenty years later if there would be advances in techniques or not and maybe have some success. For now, I just do the best I can. I know that I am not a good night driver because I am basically blind from other cars headlights. If I am facing the sun I cannot see what is directly in front of me and have to move myself or have the person move in order to make out their faces. Twenty years later it is just accepted and not anything I feel is important enough to make yet another doctor visit for.

I am taking this morning to decide whether an emergency room visit will be in order later today or not. This dang back seems almost normal during the day but for the last three nights has had me in agony. I cried several times yesterday due to pain and frustration. I just sent John on an errand to see a neighbor friend who is a Physical Therapist to see if he can suggest anything to hold me until Monday when I can visit my Primary Care Doc who will hopefully refer me somewhere for some sort of treatment.

Thanks for the pretty pictures Sally. I don't know how to describe my feelings toward CC. I suppose since we are not accustomed to seeing many things bloom at that time of year makes the blooms on these little guys all that extra special and reasons for grins. Same with African Violets which I have never got the real hang of. Whenever one of mine decides to bloom I have to tell and show anyone who walks in the house.

Alright, I won't be too concerned over the CC that don't have buds yet. There is still time and who knows, they may end up putting on a much better blooming show than the others when the time comes. Anyway.....I will have more blooms this year than in years past when I have only had one or two CC here. Much better odds at getting some pretty blooms.

Hope that everyone is enjoying their Saturday. Take care all.

Ruby

Crozet, VA

Cross posted with you JB. Good morning. Okay, I was thinking last evening that I thought I asked here about the coloring of the CC and hadn't had anyone address it yet. So, you are saying that yours too sometimes get off colored? As I stated earlier, the plant itself seems healthy enough, the coloring is just off and not the dark green that the other CC are usually. I couldn't bear to throw it out, so have it planted in a different pot than last year and hoping it will turn darker with time and for sure hope it will bloom.

I will look forward to hearing what your thoughts and experiences are with the off coloring of the plant. Thanks in advance.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby--

I think you should go see an Ophthalmologist. Many advances have been done in 20 years.
I also have/had(?) the issues with night driving--mostly all the lights had that sparkle effect.
I could not read signs either--big o4r small--until I was a couple car-lengths away from them.
haven't done any night driving yet--so i do not know if things will be different...

My distance vision now id all "high definition"....clear as can be.
It is a pain having to do 3 different eye drops 4x a day for 2 weeks--then twice a day for 5 more.
Or--whatever.....I have the paper taped to my bathroom mirror.

Ruby--besides your cataracts--you still need your eyes checked out. Sounds like you may have
some macular degeneration going on too. I say that b/c of what you said about not seeing people's faces.
Are you diabetic? This is an eye problem many diabetics deal with.
PLEASE go and have a thorough check up. OK?

Waiting for my daughter to get here...Daddy'O is bringing her. She has been visiting there as he picked her
up at the Airport. So she stayed a day...
Tonight is her 25th HS reunion. That is the main reason she came East.

Hope we can have a nice visit--she can be very stubborn and contrary with me.
Even if we only see each other every 3 years...That always saddens me--as my feelings get hurt.

Don't forget to turn your clocks back tonight! AHHH! An extra hour's sleep!!!

Gita

Crozet, VA

You are probably right about seeing an Opthamologist Gita. I will see what I can do about getting an appointment. Once upon a time I was seeing one fairly regularly because the major cause of blindness in Japan is Behcets Disease, the very rare for Caucasians anyway, disease that I have been dealing with for twenty five years or longer. Anyway...I have been really fortunate that I haven't had the eye issues that many others with the disease have. Blindness was the scariest part of having the disease for me. Again, I am truly blessed, knock on wood it hasn't been an issue.

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out sometime soon.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Did you all see Geoff's article on CC today? http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/381/

Crozet, VA

Not yet, but will do so now. Thanks Jill honey. Haven't spoken with you for some time now. I hope that you and yours are all doing well. We will have to try and catch up with each other soon.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We're hanging in there! Low key weekend... Joyanna has a bug (but is doing a little better today I think), and I'm resting up after Friday's procedure (got my tissue expander out, not going to do reconstruction at this point, maybe in a couple of years, but for now we're just trying to address the nerve sensitivity in that area). So I'm having fun browsing around and catching up on threads I haven't read in far too long!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.