Sewing for baby question

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

I finally have a grandbaby of my own. She's 1300 miles away, so can't try things on her. The new SIDS prevention guidelines say nothing in the crib except the baby. In other words, no quilts. My DIL doesn't like anything I make simply because she doesn't like me. LOL. But Son wants me to make sleep sacks for baby since quilts can't be used. I have not sewn garments for at least 18 years. Quilters don't do zippers but guess I'll have to learn how again.

I bought this McCall's pattern and a couple pieces of fleece. Son wants them made in the sleeveless version (Pattern View B) so baby can wear undershirt with sleeves. I worry that fleece over all that will be too warm in a house with central heat. I think flannel would be great but the pattern says knits only. Since the front opens all the way with a zipper, I cannot understand why it would have to be stretchable knit. Maybe pattern specifies that because it also includes the baby jumpsuit and I know that has to be stretchable knit???

Anyone have experience making these?

Thumbnail by Dogs_N_Petunias
This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!