This Yellow Iris just wont quit.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

This is an amazing old Iris. I separated it from the older one years ago and now it is on its own and has been blooming since May.

I was wondering who else has such late bloomers, and where you are located.

I cut these and brought them in because we are to have frost one of these nights and I just want them to last as long as possible since they are so full of buds again. This has to be some sort of record for this location. Except, our weather has been changing and has been completely crazy since last winter. The poor plants are so confused. Wanted to share this with you all and hope you have a wonderful Fall and Winter. Enjoy. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Oh beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing. My entire garden is pretty well gone, except for some extremely hardy annual snaps and some House's Scabiosa.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

The weather is crazy here, too. Only one I see still blooming is Immortality. My Lamium looks pretty good too.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I am 83 years old and I do not remember Iris ever blooming in late October in NJ. I have a white one that has been blooming until two weeks ago. These are noids unfortunately because all the tags got blown away in last years blizzard. The ones I did have I lost in this years Hurricane. Do, all the trouble I went to to purchase new Iris and add to the collection, I have no clue what I have now. LOL Whatever they are, I enjoy everyone of them everyday I can.
I am so glad you enjoyed them. Have a good day.

South Hamilton, MA

The white rebloomer may have been Immortality. It is fairly reliable once it gets settled. Did you have that one?

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i have a white one and a lavender and white one that just bloomed. dont know the names of them.
kc

Thumbnail by risingcreek
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Amazing. I thought all iris' bloomed in the spring or mid summer. How beautiful.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i didnt know they bloomed now either. such a great surprise to go out in the morning and see the flower !

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

That is a beautiful Iris. I have no idea what the white one is called. As I said, all the tags blew away in the storm and snow. Don't ask me how, I never did anything so stupid as I did when I marked them the way I did. Oh well, live and learn.

I must try and find the invoices for my Iris and see what I bought. That would be a start. LOL. JB

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Love rebloomers but only have had one do it here...Harvest of Memories, which was a nice yellow, bloomed in late Oct/early Nov.

Beautiful iris JB! Thanks for posting!
Risingcreek, that one is a beauty too!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

this is the other one that bloomed yesterday no name for it either

Thumbnail by risingcreek
South Hamilton, MA

Some irises have the gene for a second bloom. They are known as remontent. It also depends upon climate and extra water during the summer.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I remember Happgardner (not sure of the name) sent me some old Iris from her house and they had no names. They were very old plants. That was back in 2009 I think. I thought I also bought some from someone on DG who raised them to sell. Have no clue who it was.

I also bought some from a catalog and I can not find the invoice or paperwork that came with them. It was a special of some sort. The Siberian came from a catalog also and I can not find any of the stupid paperwork. I guess I will never know the names of any of my Iris but I will love it just the same.

I am having a senior moment for darn sure. Off to the GH to check the temp. JB

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

jberger-i know what you mean. the few i had that i knew the names i wrote on markers and didnt realize the writing would fade. most of the rest i have gotten from people that were going to, horrors, throw them away. i love them all ! .

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I think I will name my garden the The Lots Identity Garden................that sounds awful. Must go play a word game on Facebook. Any of you guys play Words with Friends on FB????Never in a million years did I ever think I would, but there are people who love to play and it takes some of us days to finish a game because we do not do it all at one time. It is really fun for the busy person who just needs a ten minute break. LOL I need a break alright. Time to quit for the day. Have a good evening. JB

Barberton, OH

My iris has 3 more stems with buds. I hope I can keep them covered from frost long enough that i can force them inside. If anyone has a name for this one I would like to know. All I know is that it reblooms and is fragrant. These 2 blooms were on the same stem, 1 more to go, but there were 3 more blooms 3 or 4 weeks ago
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man
South Hamilton, MA

My guess is Immortality. Do you know if your source for the plant grows it?

Barberton, OH

I have no idea where I got that iris. I had a bad infestation of borers 3 years and that is all I was had left. Now I have to make room for other varieties. This is the first year in too many that I have had a chance to work in it. There are many changes to be made.
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Herman:
This is Lo Ho Silver and is a frequent rebloomer. It bloomed for me on 9/11. It may be what you are showing. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Late bloomers for me! Nov. 20th...Two irises I have bloomed before a really heavy frost we had here a couple of days ago killed them. Yesterday am they were all limp from the cold and dying. But, what a wonderful surprise for me as we drove up the driveway to our new house for the final time before making it our home. We have finally moved in!! It was as good as a welcoming party!
I will have to change my location on here...we are now in Keller, VA on the edge of zones 7b and 8.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

It is a month since I posted the yellow iris blooming. I must tell you, I have more yellow iris blooming now than I did back when I cut that bunch. I also have a white lined in blue in bud. What is going on here. they all are located at different places on the farm and it has been below freezing twice since they went to bud. JB

South Hamilton, MA

JBerger You now know where your microclimates are?

At your new zone in VA you should have more luck with rebloomers. See Winterberry Gardens for a list of those which perform.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Iris, I do not have a clue. Help??????

South Hamilton, MA

I think their introductions are on a website which is winterberryirises.com. Their catalog is $5 & would probably be of more use to you are you are in need of reliable, tested rebloomers rather than new introductions. Address is 1225 Reynolds Rd. Cross Junction VA 22625. They have several pages of reblooming irises with descriptions (not pictures) & the zones in which each plant reblooms.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much, As soon as I have a second I will look it up and send for the catalog. Have a nice day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.