Propogatng DL seeds and Get Jiggy

Bonne Terre, MO

HI
2 questions
Bought DL seeds.
Would like to know the best most sucessful way to plant DL seeds inside and get good sprout results
.Have grown some before but very haphazardly.
With these I have refridgerated them for 3 weeks then read they should be in moist medium for 3 weeks so i am starting over with hydrogen peroxide a TBL to a quart then wet a piece of paper towel and put in the little baggie with the seeds and now will w ait 3 weeks again I guess
unless someone who knows, says I should do something different . Not sure this is even right.

Also I am fascinated with the DL "Get Jiggy"'s color break.
Does anyone know what plant parent of his was the first to have this unique feature?or is HE the first?

I read its metallic at times.Where did that feature come from originally or is all of it unique to Jiggy?
. I looked up its parents but couldnt find photos of its grand parents particularly the TETRA DL
Also is Ring of Wonder related ?
I see Stamile hybridized it also but the parents are different.
I have become obcessed with the answers to the heritage of Get Jiggy and cant find what i need anyplace so far..Anyone out there have the answers, please??

Refrigeration doesn't do any good without moisture to germinate DL seeds. Nature always supplies coldness with moisture.

Here is how I have done it for the last 2 years and idoing it again this fall.

Soak overnight in handhot water. Then place in paper towel that has been moistened in Peroxide ( 1 pt to 9 pt water). Squeeze out excess moisture. Place the package in a ziplock back and store in fridge for 3 weeks. Bring it out after 3 weeks and place in room temp. Should begin to germinate within 2 weeks, depending on cultivar. Some can take much longer. When you see tiny roots form (see photo below) pot in a 6-pack which are small pots found in garden centers. or Walmart. Mine have started to sprout that I placed in the fridge Sept 28 and removed 3 days ago. I am growing them under plant lights. I had 72 daylily, and iris seedlings growing under lights last winter.

I planted them out in my coldframe end of May when all dangers of frost is past. Two DL sowed 2009 bloomed this past season. I will have many blooming next year. I am crossing my own and also purchased some seeds sinc this past summer was extremely hot and DL will not set seed at high temp so got very few.

Not familiar with Jiggy so can't answer. Try Google for information.

Thumbnail by

I Googled Jiggy. Here is the link for some of its history. It sure is unusual. I don't blame your for being fascinated with it. I could easily become likewise.

http://daylilies.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=346

Bonne Terre, MO

Thank you very much for all the information about planting DL's and photos.
.I am assuming the peroxide takes the place of another sort of fungicide?Just wondering what its part is in sprouting and for the link. It is that information that started my fascination with Get Jiggy! ..... Where, How, Why!!!

Ever hear of the Tetra daylilies?.
Whos garden are they from orginally ? Still on the Jiggy mystery search.!..

South Hamilton, MA

Quite a few hybridizers work with the tet daylilies.

Rirish, You are right about the Peroxide. Suppose to prevent fungus and rot.

I recently started growing tets about 2 years ago. If you want to know their history, ask in the daylily forum. Quite a few daylily experts there that can answer your questions. Me,...I just grow them!

RIRISH, You enabled me so now I purchased Get Jiggy seeds also. It is crossed with Blue Hippo. Go to Lily Auction daylily data base and you may find the hems you are trying to find info on.

Bonne Terre, MO

Update now fir beginner daylity sprouters like me...end FEb 2012 i have 22 healthy plants left of the53 daylilys seedlings that started .Every seed group put out seedlings but some didnt last long once they had grown a couple inches .Bases Rotted on all.
I have been putting a finger dent in the dirt away from the plants themselves now so the water gets the roots but not the plants base. Will add a plasitc barrier to water in next time
Thanks for all the help on this project
Now if they survive the outdoors in May(end frost here ) it will be a good end.
It was a LOT of fun.Made the long winter shorter.Blomma did your Jiggys sprout and make it?

The most hardy for me were in order ( all from 5 seeds per pack)
5 Sugar Glider X (ALL) I didnt kill one!!
4 First Crush X Casa De Juan
3 Ageless Beauty X Pineapple Moom
2 Rings of Wonder X JT
Then 1 Mt Hermans Wizard X Pineapple Moon
and 1 of 5 of these too;
Sister of Praise X Casa De Juan
Lies and LIpstick X Mary De Lambre
Dare to LOVE,X Southern Dazzle
WhalesTales X Lisa Renee
,Evelyn Kloris X Self or Bee and some Bonus
Sadly Pumpkin Prince X Pineapple Moon died first, every one of them (4 had sprouted) Jiggys crosses died too.

Thumbnail by RIRISH

Hi RIRISH,
yep they sure sprouted and are a bit taller than yours in photo. I have them under lights so give them a haircut when the leaves touches the light bulbs.

I have 6 of each Get Jiggy x Blue Hippo
Get Jiggy x Gaskins seedling.

So far I am raising 118 daylily seedlings with a few more coming. Most are seeds from LA, others are my own crosses. Once they have sprouted, I don't lose any. I have lost a few in the germination process.

I use Expert potting soil from Walmart when I pot in 3" foam coffee mugs. The seeds go in a seedling mix. If you are loosing seedlings, you may be watering too much or incorrectly. I place the pots in a pan with water. I then pour some water on the soil so that the water is drawn up from the drainage holes. This way the whole rootball gets moisture.

Here too, I can't plant until end of May.

Below is just a small batch on one 4ft shelf of seedlings. Photo taken Feb. 18, 2012

Thumbnail by
Bonne Terre, MO

ALMOST PLANTING TIME AND SADLY ALL THE GET jIGGY SEEDLINGS DIED.HOWEVER THEY ALL DID SPROUT SO THERE IS HOPE.
IN FACT 1/2 OF MY SEEDLINGS DIED OVER THE WINTER.i HAD 53 AND NOW HAVE 22 BUT THOSE LEFT ARE DOING SPLENDIDLY!
THOSE WITH BROKEN EYES THAT MADE IT ARE;
RINGS OF WONDER X JT AND ONE WHALES TALES.

NOT SURE ABOUT WHALES TALES BUT I DONT SEE JIGGY IN RINGS GENE POOL
.THE CROWN ROT OR WHATEVER IT IS KILLED ALL OF THE OTHERS EXCEPT MAYBE 2 OR 3 WHEN I DIDNT WATER THEM A DAY OR 3. NEED BETTER WATERING METHOD NEXT YEAR. TO KEEP THE WATER FROM THE PLANT BASES,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.