Please take a look and help if you can

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

My evergreens are all getting spots all over them. I don't know what you call them. Junipers? Anyway, you make Christmas garlands out of them, and there are about 4 or 5 different varieties. But they all look like they have the same disease.

Help before I lose them all.

thanks.

Linny

Thumbnail by Linny1
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Did you have a drought this past summer? I know the heat was excessive and prolonged and I would guess that is what has cause this dieback. Why don't you take a branch, one that still has some green along with the brown so they can see the transition, into your extension office and let them look at it.

Just remembered, you have a good nursery in your area, Head Lee, if that is closer than the extension office, the Head brothers are quite knowledgeable and can probably help out.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2011 4:38 PM

Thanks, Ardesia. I have a piece in the car, along with a bigger collage to show them. I adore Head Lee. Yes we had a drought.

and this azalea is right next to a gardenia that is green and healthy, while this thing's just about a goner.

Other azaleas aren't looking so hot either. Especially the smaller ones.

The huge peppermints are okay though. Glad of that.

Linny

Thumbnail by Linny1
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

i agree with Ardesia;.take some to get looked at. Only way to really tell if it's just the result of drought stress or something more.
Let us know what they say.
Barb

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

A lot of my trees had the same tip die off, early in the year. Went to county extension service and was told it is damage caused by the cicaidis (13 year locust) as part of their breeding cycle. All my damage was to deciduous trees.

Around here we are having severe die off of many larger trees.

A tree guy (arborist ?) told me we are seeing the affect of prolonged drought over the past few years. The lower water tables they depend on are disappearing.

Trees are growing roots closer to the ground level, losing both the stabilizing effect of deep root systems and the nourishment they need; according to him an adult oak tree use hundreds of gallons of water A DAY just to survive. I have a large oak in my yard that I need trimmed to protect my house---his advice was to wait; he is afraid the tree can't stand the stress of trimming; may have to remove it if we cut on it.

We had cicaidis this summer. Love their sound.

We also have an oak that is dying but it is not close to the house. The ones close to the house look okay. At least I think they do. Better check.

We had more limbs fall down in the woods that seemed normal. I haven't been able to get down there due to knee replacement surgery, but I can see the path is blocked anyway.

I will take these samples to Head Lee next week.

Johns Island, SC

This crazy summer (really hot, and REALLY dry) we've had this year has played merry hell with many plants...including native perennials, shrubs, and trees. Plants/trees that normally "shrug off" adverse conditions are showing signs of severe stress this year (at least here in Charleston), and I suspect tnat's what you're seeing. They should be fine next year, given a more " normal" spring /summer next year. But what's a "normal" spring/summer anymore???

Everything these days is the "new normal".

I never have gotten by Head-Lee. I am doing pt three times a week for knee replacemrnt.

Now it is finally getting cold -- maybe to stay this time. Yay!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.