October and fall has finally arrived! (Maybe)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It's the middle of October already---sooooo time for a new chat thread!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217544/

Please join us here with your photos and tell us what's happening in your life!

The photo here was taken on Oct. 14th. just as you come down the hill toward Hwy 65 N on Gravesville Cut-off Road just south of Bee Branch, AR. This is one of my favorite scenes. As you can tell, the trees here haven't really started turning yet. We had a drought in August so our fall colors will probably be pretty non-existent this year as most of the big trees are just turning from green to brown. Some of the smaller trees are starting to show some reds and yellows though.

Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I just never think about starting a new thread!! I think you are right about the fall color. I see a little color peeking through here but a lot of leaves seem to be already falling. I think the leaves are just going to turn brown and fall of the tree for the most part.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks for starting this...I thought about it last week, but just didn't get off my lazy bee-hind to do it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

It has turned cold!!! I decided I had better get busy and start taking in some of my plants. Especially the ones that are houseplants. Got a few in this afternoon and will take more in tomorrow.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We had rain today finally! Not very much, but at least it was some and it was slow so we didn't have to worry about it all running off! I know the plants are thankful for the relief of cooler weather and the moisture!

It was 61 a few minutes ago but I think it is supposed to get a lot cooler this evening.....

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It rained here almost all day yesterday but the sun broke out late in the afternoon. I am here in the Jacksonville area at my son's house--helping out my DIL after her surgery.
It is cooler today--got down to 38 early this morning. Right now it is 48F heading for a high around 59F today.

I still had two big houseplants on the deck at our house in Harrison. My DD was supposed to bring them inside on Monday afternoon. I hope she did. I need to text her and remind her to do that if she hasn't already done it.

Here is another photo I took of the scenery along Hwy 65 this past Monday when I was on my way back to my son's house.
This was taken just north of Marshall, AR. It seems the trees that have leaves that turn yellow in the fall are about the only ones that are pretty this year.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's another photo which I took on Monday. This is my favorite barn on Highway 65. It is just north of Marshall, AR and I have many pictures of this barn at different times of the year.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and here is one more. . .I took this one while stuck in a line of traffic behind a highway dept. truck that was re-stripe-ing the white line on the side of the highway. It took an hour to go from Leslie to Clinton and that trip normally takes about 20 minutes! It gave me the opportunity to take some pictures which I don't normally get to take while driving at 55 mph.
:o)

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This one shows the line of traffic--and they were lined up behind me, too! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

just one more. . .this one shows a mountain-top about 10 miles north of Clinton, AR. I was still stuck behind the highway dept. truck at this point but right after I took this one, several of us were able to go around the truck because the on-coming traffic had cleared.

Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

There doesn't seem to be much color this year! In the fall that drive through Clinton and around Harrison is usually really full of color. We usually drive up toward Fayetteville and then cut through War Eagle and back through Harrison looking at the foliage. We may not do it this year.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Anyone around LR know of anyone that has some firewood for sale and will deliver for a reasonable price? Alex's gas is not being turned on until tomorrow. They finally got his new heating unit in last week, but centerpoint couldn't get him scheduled til tomorrow and he is getting pretty chilly..... he is trying to build a fire but only has the old rotten wood from the trees we cut down and he isn't having much luck. Just thought someone might know of someone reasonable.......

Marilyn, love the photos! I LOVE that barn North of Marshall too!! I wish I could move it to my house! :) BUt I have admired it for many years........sure it is considered a landmark in the area.

Not much color around here either - other than brown! :)

Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We haven't turned any heat on yet!
Genna I would tell him to get a cheap electric heater. You can get them for less than 25.00. He doesn't need to burn a fire in that fireplace until he has had someone come and clean out the chimney!!!!!! They will also inspect it to make sure it is OK to use. No telling how long it's been since it's been cleaned!!!!! He sure don't want a chimney fire!!
No such thing as cheap wood! It cost $100 or probably more (I haven't priced it this year) to have someone deliver a rick or less of wood. The best way to find wood is just look in the classified section of the paper. There is always some wood in there.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011 5:59 PM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Forgot to mention that I go to a place near Benton to buy firewood. They deliver but I can get it cheaper by going and picking it up. They load it for me and I just leave it in the bed of the truck and use it out of there. I don't use the truck during the winter so it makes a good place for storage and keeps it dry!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We haven't turned on the heat either - but he doesn't have much insulation so it cools off quickly! I told him to turn on his oven and open the door and try to keep some heat in the house before he let the cold get ahead of him..... then even when he turns the oven off to let the door stay open to let every bit of heat into the house. He will be fine for one night but i know he is going to want to use the fire place occasionally so it sounds like i need to find some firewood down here and haul it to him at those prices!!
We are trying to line up a chimney cleaning too - to be on the safe side, but Vince shined a flashlight up it this afternoon and he said it looked pretty clean - didn't figure it had been used much lately.

Thanks for the info Charlotte!

Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm sure he knows not to burn pine in the fireplace. Only burn hardwood. You really need to have a professional chimney cleaner inspect and clean it. You need to make sure the damper is working properly and that the flue is ok - not just that it is clean.

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Anyone going to do any planting this month?

I bought a 5ft southern crabapple tree at the Mobile Botanical Gardens plant sale this weekend. I figured for $12 it will be worth a try.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Some of us just got home from a great RU and brought home LOTS of plants, so we will be planting!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I posted this on the photo thread of the RU but I'll post it again here. I just planted these shade plants yesterday--got most of them at Homestead Farms Nursery before we went to Jim's house on Saturday.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I also planted this Iron plant and Autumn Fern.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I still have these to plant in the new sun bed which I will be making this week. All of the EE's which I brought home from Jim and Kenny will go under the house for the winter. I'll plant them in the Spring.

Thumbnail by marsue
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

you have your work cut out for you Marilyn. I have a few things I would like to put into the ground. but Danny seems to think I need to go to deer camp every weekend. so i don't know if it will get done or not. for now, everything is snug in the garage for the winter. hopefully I'll be able to keep everything alive.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is a link to some pictures I took today. Mainly brugs but a few other things. The roses are from the yard. I decided to cut what was left and enjoy them inside. Also notice the blue container with forysthia (fake) and Chinese Lantern (real). Kathy Ann gave me the Chinese Lantern plant last year. I cut off some of the branches and took the leaves off and let it dry. I just love it. I hope it spreads a bunch more next year!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.perdue1/FlowersSeptember2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCKOP2cGVipDSPg

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Love your brugs charlotte. i've been wanting to get the sam brug, I think it's a cute double pink. my daydreams doesn't do so well for me when it blooms. i'm glad you got to see some blooms on your brugs before frost came along.

that arrangement is neat looking. love the chinese lanterns. I guess I need to water mine more next year so they'll bloom. lol

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That pink brug that you can tell is a double is Daydreams. It hasn't dropped it's skirt yet!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

mine never does good here. hope yours does better.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Charlotte I love all the blooms!!! Is that a variegated firespike? Would you try to root me a cutting? I just love it.

I typed this on another thread:

Yall I am putting a hospital sign out front and see if I can make some money instead of spending it. Ashley is back dizzy and throwing up. She only made it 2 hrs yesterday at school and I had to go pick her up.

I got back from taking her to school and took Lucky( our lab) and Tigger (our newest adopted kitten) to the vet. $725.00 later Lucky has pneumonia and the kitten is maybe 3 weeks old. So now I am bottle feeding a 3 week old kitten and popping pills down the lab like she is a drug addict. I just called the people Dr. for Ashley and she goes at 10:45 AM. I'm taking her to my Dr. to see if maybe he can figure out what is going on. It usually doesn't take him long. He has been my Dr. since I was 10 years old.

I hope everyone has a nice day and no Dr. visits!!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I'll try to root you a cutting. I don't know for sure what it is. But I love it too. I got it on our nursery shopping trip to Rita's. I have it growing in the same pot as one of my brugs. I love my firespike I bought at Foresthill. It's really easy to get new cuttings started from. I plant it in the ground during the summer and dig it up and pot up for the winter. I've spread it around several places in the yard. Time to start digging it up!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Charlotte I hope it takes. Again I have to say my hat is off to all of Yall that dig up your plants each year and then replant in the spring. I am wayyyy to lazy for that. It's all I can do to take cuttings and cover up stuff and keep the weeds out and mulch!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Jeri: I sure do hope your doctor can figure out what is wrong with Ashley! Sometimes the "old-fashioned doctors" like we used to have (and you still do) can do a better job of diagnosing mysterious illnesses than these "so-called" up-to-date physicians that do all the fancy tests!

I don't like to dig up plants for the winter, either, but I guess I will be doing that next autumn if those EE's that I brought home from Jim's live through the winter and next summer. :o~

Charlotte: I am going to check out the photos in your link now. By the way, did I leave part of my cell phone car charger in your truck? It would be the part that goes into the cigarette lighter. It is white.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Just looked at your photo link, Charlotte. They are all gorgeous! You still have quite a few things blooming!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I just checked and you did leave the white thing. I can see why you forgot it. I had to really look to find it! Do you want me to mail it to you?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Just got back from the Dr. and he thinks it is inner ear. He prescribed some medicine and told us to get Zertec D for her also. I sure hope he is right and this will take care of all her problems. I can not believe but all the symptoms for inner ear are what she is experiencing. I pray this it!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I used to take Zertec D everyday. It worked good for me. Hope this is the solution!!!

Olive Branch, MS

Jeri is this what you saw of Charlotte's? If so it's variegated salvia we got at Rita's. We're collecting what we think are seeds of ours.

Thumbnail by obbirds
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

WOW!!! I like that too!!! I can get it here thought Charlotte so you don't have to do a cutting. I hadn't seen a variegated firespike before!!! LOL!!! I thought that was special!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That looks like what I have!! Got mine at Rita's too! Didn't know what it was!!! I'd better try and save some seeds too. However, mine is in the same pot as a brug that I will be taking in so maybe it'll keep living!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That verigated salvia is really pretty! Is it not hardy here? I wish I had a tiny greenhouse.....but then I still don't know that it would do me any good. I can't keep up with all the yard work anyway - much less if I had to dig stuff up every fall!!

Edited to say.... Jeri - so sorry to hear that Ashley is sick again! I do hope this fixes the problem!!

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 8:10 AM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

By the way, all of you that had sent me your cell phone numbers and or home numbers..... I need them again please! They had to wipe my phone clean to install the new software on my iphone.... I was having a lot of problems with the old software locking up the phone so that was their way to 'fix' it. But I lost all my phone contacts and everything on my calendar! I am not sure which is worse because I had become calendar dependent!!! ^_^

At least most of the phone numbers I can eventually rebuild - all but Kyle's infectious disease doc who had given me his cell phone number.... don't figure that one can be gotten again unless he happens to text me about Kyle's recent blood test results.....

I needed Debra's number the other night as I was lost in her neck of the woods..... thankfully Alex had Charlotte's and I called her....

Thanks!
Genna

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, no I don't need the charger "thingie". It is part of my car charger, but I can use the home charger to keep my phone charged. Just bring it to our Christmas luncheon in December, please.

Jeri: I sure hope your doc is right about Ashley's symptoms being an inner ear problem. Too bad all those other fancy doctors couldn't figure it out!

Genna: I will message you on Facebook with my phone number so be sure to look at your message box

I got a load of horse manure yesterday. It was well-aged so I didn't have to mix any dirt with it. I just shoveled it out of the pick-up right on top of the ground till it was about 6 to 8 inches deep. I made one bed that is about five feet wide and 20 feet long. I put most of the sun plants from the RU in that bed. I made another bed at the other end of the fence that is about half that size. In that bed I planted the butterfly bush and a canna which either Charlotte or KA gave me, a rose bush and some Walker's Low catmint and a forsythia which I brought with me from Cabot, and a couple of other things I can't think of right now.. I still have to plant all of the sedum which KA gave me.
I have a couple of questions to ask. Somebody gave me something that looks like a daylily. It has a tag in the pot with the name of Strawberry Candy. Is it a daylily?
Also, I have 3 plants named Devil's Spindle, Navaho Princess and Dallas Star. Are these shade or sun plants? Charlotte did you give these to me?
Kathy Ann, somehow I got home with a hedychium that you had marked with Kenny's name on it. It is Pink Flame. What do you want me to do with it--send it to Kenny, bring it to you in December or keep it and plant it? LOL

Here is the photo of a plant that I need to know what it is. It came from you, Kathy Ann.

Thumbnail by marsue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.