Tooting My Own Horn

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I entered my pickled pepper photograph in Dave's Garden Pixel County Fair, and won a 1 year subscription!
I know I posted this photo before, but here it is again.
I have enough peppers in the garden for one more jar and we will be sorry to see the supply gone.

Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Beautiful remind me to tell you the pepper story sometimes when we see each other as I hate to admit how stupid I was.
I love pickled peppers and have a few jars left
Hope to grow some next year

Lavina

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Congratulations! I followed your recipe and they truly are outstanding on sandwichs and so easy to make.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've always associated pickled peppers with spicy (probably because those are the ones my dad loved!) and don't eat them.

Your gorgeous photo makes me want some though! Congratulations! Those look amazing--reminds me of stained glass!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

That is a great picture. Congrats!
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Not really spicy, just banana peppers. I just did three more jars - the pepper plants had a resurgence after the hurricane.

Entlie

Entlie, what happened to the other thread where you posted the recipe? I came home from the farmers market today with a mess of peppers. I was sure I had written it down somewhere but I can't find it or the original thread. The first batch I made were wonderful.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Here it is (I think it was in Blooming and Growing in August):
Pickled Peppers: (You might want to try a small batch to see if you like them first)
Pick peppers. Wash them and slice them. I get rid of most of the seeds, but keep some.
Pack into clean jars, but not smashed down hard
Heat white vinegar (2 parts) to water (1 part)
Add some sugar to your taste (I use 1/3 cup Splenda loose to 4 cups vinegar and 2 cups water)
Add a little kosher salt (you don't need much). You can add herbs but I don't usually.
Taste the brine as it heats up and make adjustments. If you like it bring it to a boil.
Pour over peppers and seal.
Will keep in fridge several months at this point, or you can use canning jars and lids and
process for about 30 minutes in a water bath.
I used a combination of peppers (sweet banana, hot banana and a few jalapenos thrown in)
Be sure to use new vinegar from the grocery store. My daughter tried this with vinegar she'd had in her cupboard for a while and the taste wasn't right.
Enjoy!
Entlie

Thank you - again! :-)

I added one small garlic clove and about 1/8 teaspoon of mustard seeds in each jar to the ones I made in August. So great on sandwiches and, as your photo shows, so pretty onteh pantry shelf.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Ooh. garlic and mustard seeds - sounds tasty!
Entlie

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia, will be headed your way again soon. Stopped at your nearby marina two years ago and it was very friendly - not far off our route.

Entlia

I'll dmail you my contact info so if you get this way again you can give me a buzz. Depending on the time we can enjoy a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Sounds wonderful. Entlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.