Mold on leaf cuttings

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Last week I moved the AV leaves I was starting from their baggies to a Bio-Dome (Parks) greenhouse. Today I noticed green mold growing in the soil.There is only a bit of mist on the top of the greenhouse so I thought I had the humidity worked out. Can I mist the soil with diluted peroxide? What about moving them further from the light? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first attempt at AV propagation.

Debby C

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

If I have mold/mildew on the surface of the mix in a prop box, I just spray it with Neem or a fungicide (I use Immunox because it's easily available and has worked very well for me). That usually takes care of the problem after a few applications.

Opening the prop box and letting some fresh air in every once in a while will also help.

I usually get white and rarely grey mold but have never had green mold. Are you sure it's not just algae? Because if it's just algae, then it's not a problem but just cosmetics. :)

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you for answering so quickly. It may be algae - it's very green- but the soil is just damp not wet so never thought about algae. I'll remove the lid for a few hours each morning.I have a small fan I can put near it too if that will help. I'll try those suggestions first and if I don't see any changes I'll try the spray next. Thanks again bsimpson1972. It's nice to know help is just a few clicks away. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

If it's green and slimy, it's most likely algae. I haven't seen green mold like the kind that grows on bread, grow on plants or on the mix - or at least not that I remember...

Algae in prop boxes, particularly after a few weeks to a few months are normal. I just accept them and don't worry about them. If it gets too much, you can always change the mix but that's hardly ever necessary.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I took a much closer look and it's only growing on the perlite. Weird. I feel much better. Now I just need to wait for the babys.

Debby C

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Just a reminder, Vinegar kills around 82% of mold. Not sure if it's usable on plants but on solid surfaces it works fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.