What's chompin' on my Japanese Maple?

Warrenton, VA

Hello, I went outside this morning only to find that my beautiful baby Japanese Maple, as well as day lilies and roses, seem to have had a major chomp taken out of them. I am suspicious of deer, but thought that they did not like Maples? I sprayed my Maple with deer repellent that is pepper-based, and now see all the little spray spots...YIKES! Please help.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Not sure what "major chomp" means exactly. A pix might help.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

JM's aren't total deer candy like some other plants, but nothing is deer-proof and a hungry deer will try just about anything. Or if the damage is lower to the ground maybe rabbits. Pictures would help though.

Warrenton, VA

Hello All, No picture needed. Just called Hubby, who is at home, waiting for our contractor to put up new shutters. Contractor knocked on the door, asked for a gun, and put a large deer kindly to a better place, after encountering a car...so thank you, and I do hope that, for once, the wisdom that deer always travel in twos or more does not apply...
I really thank all of you for trying to help. After pruning my plants, back, and applying special deer repellant, I've seen no more new "chomping."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.